Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is 5th similar story I've read on the internet

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I agree with you to a point. But, aren't striking, demanding more pay and throwing a fit part of the process of getting more pay? We're talking about hourly wage workers here. Walmart can't afford to negotiate wages with every single one of them. So, as a group they need to agitate if they want more.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Ah. And you say they shouldn't have the right to do that?

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I am not saying you don't have a RIGHT to do anything.

But you are saying the company doesn't have a RIGHT to fire them if they walk off or don't work.

Back to the sauce and gander deal.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I never said that at all. Where do you think I said anything of the kind? All I said is retailers all over the place are increasing wages. And they're doing to prevent unionization and to keep their best people from leaving to go elsewhere. My wife's company was losing people hand over fist until they did the same thing and raised slalries across the board.

In other words, they reacted to labor market pressure. Do you believe in a free market or not?

BKb

I am not trying to deflect, trust me.
    But I'm somewhat lost here. Probably my fault.

Every company can raise wages if they want. That's their business. If done in reaction to market labor pressure, of course that makes sense. Retailers can increase wages, and that's fine.

My point is simply, and nothing more, that employers run the company, not employees, and if employees don't like their wages they can go elsewhere. Or start their own company. I've said all that about 6 times. Nowhere did I say that companies should not raise wages.

??
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Wait..........

"Your wife's company"????

Are you telling me that you put Julie back to work after her riff, but you are 'retired' after yours?????

I have always admired your intelligence. But that is just golden, man. I bow before you.

Julie went back to work in 2010. She was only retired for two years and went back to work to pay off student loan debt ran up by one of my gifted friggin daughters. (That I somehow got co-signed for)
    So yeah, i'm a 'kept' man. Its very nice.

But back to the topic, I'll cut and paste what you said that made me think you believed that the world was corrupt because these workers got a raise.

"It's about the lazy little have nots whining because the only way they will allow themselves to go higher is for someone to increase their worth without them doing anything extra. They just want free stuff. And when they get it, they want more. There's no end.

If those lazy little have nots don't like it, go start your own company, and pay whatever you want."

OK. No, that's not how I meant it. I was paraphasing YOUR description of them, not mine. But I meant only that if they deserve a raise, and if the company gives them one, that's great. They probably deserve it, some of them. BUT, they need to understand that is not the only way to get ahead, there's other things they can do........

And I was talking about all the ones I saw on the news and online that were carrying placards and jumping up and down and DEMANDING $15 an hour (even though in this state, that is worth about $22 an hour), and claiming that they deserved that much just because they are lower paid. THOSE are the ones I was talking about.

The ones here protested with their feet. Our overall employment numbers are down here because of energy sector jobs lost, but most everything else is going pretty well. We're seeing a lot of part timers go from two or three jobs to more permanent stuff too.

BKB

And where will these min wage workers work when this runs its course??

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...ver/ar-BBlsD2G

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    The ones here protested with their feet. Our overall employment numbers are down here because of energy sector jobs lost, but most everything else is going pretty well. We're seeing a lot of part timers go from two or three jobs to more permanent stuff too. BKB
    WE are? Where? Who is we?
    Figures you get from the Government????
    I see...

image-480854706.jpg
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

He does. Very much. It is the separation we have, by far.