Thread: I lost an old friend today

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

I lost an old friend today

The state Newspaper!

Last year the annual subscription went to $300.00. I told 'em no way. They called and called and finally the local manager came by and offered me another year at the same price as the year before, $180.00. I hesitated, since it takes me about 5 minutes to read the whole thing every day, including Sunday.......but I bit.

Now that year is up, and they have called nonstop. I get tired of having to call and suspend it every time I go somewhere for a day or two.......it's like having a pet to consider! I also spend about 5 minutes reading it, not worth it. And the price is now $336.00 a year!!!! No discounts.

And they have called twice a day for a month. Won't leave a message. So today I finally answered and said "No thank you". They went into apoplexy. "Surely you want SUNDAY only at least!!!".

No. I can buy it at a stand for the few Sundays I'll want it. Not paying $28 freaking dollars a month for a rag. Most of their writers are gone anyway, they've reduced and reduced and reduced.

You can't read it online without a subscription but hey......

If I lose my mind, I can start it back. But for now, see ya!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

They still print newspapers?? Who knew?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I've been procrastinating on doing the same thing. I still love to read the paper every day. In my hands. With ink on my fingers when I'm done.

I need to cancel it though and read it on line.

BKb

They put the paper in front of each guest room at Lynn's hotel every morning. She brings stacks of leftovers home. I wad 'em up to cushion eBay stuff I ship. She uses 'em to soak up bacon grease or whatever she cooks that needs to drain. I read the news on-line. I thought only OLD people still took the paper ... and drive around with AAA insurance decals on their back bumpers.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I quit the Washington Post a couple I years ago and after several attempts on their part to get me to renew, I finally agreed to sign back up for $95 for the year. Once the year was up I called to cancel and told them it wasn't worth the money when they asked why. When they asked what it was worth, I told them $95 and they said okay. This is down from $60 for every six weeks.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke