Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: And before you ask, no..............

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Well, I think Trump is showing his ass and that was the main thing I was hoping to get out of tonight.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

As for the moderators, I still don't know who the two guys are (the one on the left at least looks a little familiar) and I only know the woman's name because you guys used it. Other than some local stuff, I just don't get my news from TV.

This Facebook stuff is nonsense though. I wonder how much they paid?

I'm not sure how you learn about what the candidates think without some type of forum to let them debate issues. Its as ingrained in our process as kissing babies.

I like the question and answers on Common Core. The first question there was any substantive answer. The rest have been campaign slogans.

+2 pts for Bush and Rubio

Scott Walker is a smarmy college frat boy.
    I think I hate him.

BKb

I'm not a fan of Walker either. Cruz scares the hell out of me. Kasich and Carson have at least made me want to learn more about them. That's probably the best they can hope for with this kind of cattle call.

Agree on those two as well.

BKB

Ha ha! It's pretty obvious the moderators don't like Trump! I can't believe how obvious they're being. I think he's a blowhard, but I love his give a shit, in your face and fuck you attitude!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Haha...Mike Huckaby seems to have forgotten Nikita Kruschev yelling 'I will BURY you!' To the USA.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Ha ha! It's pretty obvious the moderators don't like Trump! I can't believe how obvious they're being. I think he's a blowhard, but I love his give a shit, in your face and fuck you attitude!
    Would you say "he doesn't give a rats ass?"

What do you think the chances are that the obvious bias against Trump by the moderators backfires and makes him even more popularity.
    .i have to say, he's the only one who's made me say 'FuckinA' tonight.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I don't know about dislike so much as making sure everyone has the chance to see him for what he really is. That's the price of being the front runner.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    What do you think the chances are that the obvious bias against Trump by the moderators backfires and makes him even more popularity. I have to say, he's the only one who's made me say 'FuckinA' tonight. BKB
    Dang P-hole, the way it's been going, that's a possibility. I think it's the same reason I was enamoured with Perot a few years back. I was so sick and tired of politicians, I wanted to try something new. Prob. is, I started out liking him at first, but that "like" faded fast. I look at Trump the same way, I love his "tell it like it is" attitude, but I think he'd be a bit embarrassing as a President. Of course, he sure couldn't be any more embarrassing than what we've been stuck with the past coupl'a terms. Who knows? Maybe he'd surround himself with a killer staff and actually get something done.

Perot at least came off as a folksy straight talker. Trump just seemed thin skinned and ill prepared.

From what I understand, Trump doesn't "prepare". He simply walks in and says whatever he feels. I'm assuming that's what people are liking about him.

I'm headed for an estate sale in a few minutes, but while I was getting dressed this morning, I was watching the local news on TV. I wan't paying that much attention, but they showed a huge auditorium full of "red state" people gathered (somewhere) to watch the debate (I agree, it was an "interview" IMHO) and they absolutely went crazy cheering whenever Trump spoke. In interviews with them after the "debate", the general concensus was that FINALLY someone has the balls to say what others SHOULD have been saying all along, but are too "politically correct" to do so. They were going nuts for the guy!

I'd say, the moderators, without question, were targeting Trump. Odd, the VERY FIRST question out of the gate was asking anyone to raise their hand if they'd run as an independent if not nominated ... which would guarantee a win for Hillary. Of course Trump was the only one to raise his hand and drew loud boo's from everyone in the arena. The "moderators" knew exactly what they were doing, who would raise their hand, and knew exactly what kind of a response it would generate. And THAT is how the evening started! It didn't change much. I got tickled when Trump said what he thought of Meghan Kelly and the press in general.

That said, he's a bit of an embarrassment as far as I'm concerned ... but so is our President.

Trump remindes me of Ted Nugent in a way. I'm not crazy about the guy and think he's a bit "out there", but I appreciate the fact he says what he feels instead of what everyone "expects" him to say. It takes balls, but you're not going to win a popularity contest in this politically correct world.

Stories like that are why I really don't care how few Americans actually vote.

Best synopsis I've seen this morning:

"And thus, in the first minute of the debate, Trump was undressed and unmasked, and he stood there as the unprincipled, naked egomaniac that he is. He never quite recovered. His admission of political infidelity was the prism through which all of his subsequent bluster had to be viewed."

^^^^wishful thinking.

I think among Trump supporters, they will think he did quite well. Poltical fidelity is percieved as part of the problem by the people who support him. And its part of the recipe that's gotten us in this divisive mess we're in today,

My opinion is that Trump strnegthened his cause among his supporters. Whether he convinced anyone to come over to his way of thinking is yet to be seen. I think Bucky was right: he may decided this election if he's still around at the end. And that is a real poser whether he will or not.

What if he decides to go independent and blames conservative media coverage as a reason? Notice the chairman of the RNC was going out of his way after the debate not to say anything disparaging about him.

BKb

You're prolly right about wishful thinking. I know the WaPo's coverage of the debate this morning was pretty generous to Trump.

That's was quite the shit show. I found it very interesting. Total Trump ambush but pretty much what I expected. It had nothing to do with the Presidential race but whatever

Trump on baby!

If I was forced to vote for one of those fucks based on what I saw last night. I'd go with Fuckabee. Or Cruz. Or Rand Paul. Or Trump.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Funny how people's perceptions are different. I thought Fuckaby sounded like a radio talk show host. Its easy to say 'I'd do this or that' on the radio but when you give it the smell test it doesn't hold up. Like his 'consumption based tax'.

Kasich and Rubio made me want to explore a little deeper on both of them. Carson started well, but in the end, he ended up sounding like the social network meme generator that he is. Another guy who would find it difficult to implement the solutions that he espouses and makes sound too easy. I thought Carson's 10% flat tax idea was the best on that topic.
    BKB

I'm not opposed to a flat tax, but any serious analysis I've seen done by a real tax wonk pretty much debunks the idea that 10% is high enough. I also don't trust our Congress not to screw it up down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    I'm not opposed to a flat tax, but any serious analysis I've seen done by a real tax wonk pretty much debunks the idea that 10% is high enough. I also don't trust our Congress not to screw it up down the road.
    Uhhhh, aren't YOU a tax wonk? I think I'd trust your opinion over most I would hear on the subject. I agree 10% is too low. I'm paying 30+% now so anything in between that would be fine with me as long as EVERYONE had to pay it or be shot in the face with dead buzzards guts.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Heck, ANYONE who's name rhymes with Thump, can't be all bad.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Reading y'all's comments is really interesting.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I don't really care if it was a Trump ambush. He's set himself up for some really tough questions in his "non-political speech" and he's was going to have to deal with them down the road whether it came from a fox panel or in a democratic debate. I think Fox did the Rep. party a favor by asking them now, and I think he absolutely bombed. For me Marco Rubio absolutely shined last night. His answers were crisp and on point. I about wanted to jump through the screen when Christi gave his speech on "entitlement programs" and cutting social security and medicare back, or extending the age. I'm not against looking at his 1 month extension for every year but quick calling something I see come out of my paycheck entitlement. I'm not a Scott Walker fan either but thought his answer on Iran was pretty funny....when he said with the China and Russia hacks lately its pretty sad to think they know more about Hillary's email than we do"

Trump to me seemed like a school yard bully. The I really don't know what I'm talking about so I'm going to act smug, and insluting, and get you to quit asking me tough questions.

With Hillary Clinton's multiple misdeeds coming to light and causing her political problems, reflected in her declining support in the polls, both she and the Democratic Party have reason to be concerned. But both of them may yet be rescued by The Donald, who could turn out to be their Trump card.

Donald Trump has virtually no chance of becoming even the Republican Party's candidate in 2016, much less being elected president of the United States.

The reason is not hard to understand: Republican voters simply do not trust him, as the polls show. Nor is there any reason why they should trust him, given his chameleon-like changes in the past.

Why then is he the front-runner in the polls?

One reason is arithmetic. When there is a small army of Republican candidates, each with a tiny set of supporters, anyone with enough name recognition to get the support of a fifth or a fourth of the Republicans polled stands out, even if twice that many Republicans say they would never vote for him.

When both kinds of Republicans are counted, Donald Trump is both the front-runner and the leading pariah. The danger is not that he will get the nomination, but that his irresponsible talk will become the image of the Republican Party, and that his bombast will drown out more sober voices that need to be heard, thereby making it harder to select the best candidate.

More is involved than arithmetic, however. Many Republican voters are so disgusted with their party, especially over its repeated betrayals of them, and of the country, especially when it comes to immigration, that they are immediately attracted to anyone who voices the outrage they feel.

Donald Trump has turned this opening phase of the 2016 primaries into The Donald Trump Show. All of this might be very entertaining, if this were not a crucial juncture in the history of the country and of the world.

But, while all this political theater is going on, the world's leading promoter of international terrorism--Iran--has gotten a deal that all but guarantees that it will have nuclear bombs and, not just incidentally, intercontinental missiles to deliver them.

Iran doesn't need intercontinental missiles to reach Israel, which is closer to Iran than St. Louis is to Boston. Send not to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.

We can only hope that, somewhere among the many Republican candidates, there is someone who can, as president, make the hard decisions and take the hard steps required to undo the utter disaster that looms ahead as a result of Barack Obama's feckless foreign policies.

If ever there was a time to carefully sift through all the aspiring Republican candidates, in hopes of finding just one who might be up to the superhuman task ahead, in order to head off a nuclear catastrophe, this is surely the time to look for a solid, wise and steadfast leader.

A shoot-from-the-hip bombastic show-off is the last thing we need or can afford. As for the Democrats, their leading candidate--Hillary Clinton--was one of the architects of the foreign policy disasters that can turn into world-changing catastrophes.

As for the Republican mob scene, it is a challenge just to remember all the names of the candidates. These include many who must know, in their heart of hearts, that they have no real chance of getting the nomination. But unless they withdraw, the public's attention may well be fragmented over too many candidates for them to find a truly promising candidate for president.

My own view is that the last thing we need is another great talker with no track record of actually taking responsibility for running a government at any level. Among the Republican candidates are some governors whose records are worth scrutinizing. But the sooner the talkers are gone, the better. We can only hope that Donald Trump will be leading the procession of talkers headed for the exit. But don't count on it.

Worse yet, 36 percent of Republicans polled recently say that they would vote for Trump if he ran as a third-party candidate. That would virtually guarantee victory for Hillary Clinton. The Donald could definitely be the Democrats' Trump card.

------------v------------

Thomas Sowell is a fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.

The one answer I liked from Huckaby was the one about means testing social security.

The answer to the social security funding issue is quite simple. First, pass a law that forbids the government from borrowing against the trust funds for any program outside of social security. We've borrowed about $2trillion from it for other programs so far. Second, means test the only portion of it that's not paid for and that is disability payments. A person on social security is only eligible to recieve it if they stay below a certain income level. That's not true for disability payments and that makes no sense for a 'safety net' type of insurance which is what all of social security is. Its also the fastest growing segment of social security costs and is the part of the trust fund that will run a deficit the fastest.

BKB

Republicans are not smart enough to figure this out. The right wing guys I talk to are GIDDY over Trump. I get it, I know why. Heck, I've advocated the Chaos Party for years!! I hate the system, I hate what Government has turned into, and I'm ready for a Radical. (Posthole? Doesn't this remind you of Isaac Asimov's "Mule"?). But electing a President is about Math. The Electoral College ensures that if you get 50.003% of California, you get ALL 55 votes, not 28. And the populus states will go Democratic. That's just a fact. So, anyone who disrupts the small mathematical chance of a Republican to win, is not the good guy in my book. Has NOTHING to do with whether he'd be good or not. Has to do with whether he can win and get the Libs out of power.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    The one answer I liked from Huckaby was the one about means testing social security.

The answer to the social security funding issue is quite simple. First, pass a law that forbids the government from borrowing against the trust funds for any program outside of social security. We've borrowed about $2trillion from it for other programs so far. Second, means test the only portion of it that's not paid for and that is disability payments. A person on social security is only eligible to recieve it if they stay below a certain income level. That's not true for disability payments and that makes no sense for a 'safety net' type of insurance which is what all of social security is. Its also the fastest growing segment of social security costs and is the part of the trust fund that will run a deficit the fastest.

BKB
    That's fine if you don't pay into it.
    But if you buy insurance, you don't want the benefits paid only to the poor.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I sad it before the debate and I'm even more convinced now, I will stick with Cruz. He didn't say or do anything overly stupid last night, kept his cool, and responded well to the questions. I will also note he was not on the long list of candidates that stretched the truth or flat out lied about the facts. The fact that that get scares a few people I think is a good thing. In fact, I hope a whole lot of people in the Middle East, gay rights activists, and welfare recipients are scared to death of him.