Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Captain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Don’t’ get me wrong I ain’t saying there are no Cougars in Arkansas or NC for that matter. In fact I’ll go far enough to say to a level of certainty there ARE cougars (Mt. Lions) in about every state. Now hold that thought and read.
    When old Chris Columbus found this place there were Eastern cougars, elk, and Buffalo in NC. But they are all gone. Not far from me (Shelby NC) there is a large herd of Buffalo, and in the mountains of NC there are herds of Elk, but neither are from what was here then. They have been brought in and reintroduced.
    They are NOT here because their numbers are increasing elsewhere and are expanding their territory like deer and coyotes have done.
    Right or wrong, legal or illegal, Folk buy cougar kittens (cubs whatever) because they think it would be cool to own one. Later the dang things grow up and are not as “cute” are they once were. Being attached to the thing instead of killing it or having it live it’s life out in a cage or pen they take them to some wildlife wilderness area and quietly and release them.
    There are sighting of them from time to time in this state as in others because they don’t know where the wilderness area property lines and they are looking for partners, food, traveling etc.
    There was a place called Pets Unusual in North Carolina that operated until just a couple of years ago. I remember the year the movie Talladega Nights came out they sold every cougar cub they had or could get. I’m certain some of these NC rednecks decided to release those things when they grew up.
    There have been two Mt Lion (cougars, whatever) hit by cars in NC and turned in to Wildlife that were declawed. But the eastern cougar foundation people got all hot and bothered until the declawed fact came out…
    And there’s another issue this group of anti hunter folks started the Eastern Cougar Foundation with all these “first Hand” sightings and all kind of evidence etc. and for 20 years they took folks money and did all this research…. Guess what, THEY finally have conceded the eastern cougar is extinct… So now they have changed their group to the Cougar Rewilding Foundation. I guess so they can continue to take Whale Kisser and Tree Hugger’s money.
    It’s just like the bigfoot people as long as people will make up the stories folks will try to make money off of it.
    So in short I’m certain there are a cougar (mountain lion) or two running around Arkansas, NC and other states, but what folks are seeing are released over grown pets. There is not WILD bunch of cougars expanding their range because of overpopulation in their home ranges. I mean Bucky already says there is no deer in that part of the state so why would cougars come there to hunt?
    The one claim that makes me pull my last hair out is when (and it happens a lot) people seeing a Black Panther. I ain’t talking about the racist group I’m talking about a cat…. NO SUCH THING….
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I understand what you are saying.

As I asked the PR Director............"If every Mt.Lion is feral, how long do they live? Wouldn't all of our deer be the product of feral deer, since they were all brought from Wisconsin in the 30's? Why does it matter how a Mt. Lion began his life, if there are a bunch out there, how does it help to say they are all escaped pets? If they are not breeding, are you saying folks release dozens every year?"

He never answered. He just looked at me and smirked.

I truly don't want to get into an argument with you over it. I know what is what, and it's first hand. I have no benefit in either convincing someone, or being wrong, either way.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

http://m.thecabin.net/news/lifestyle...inct#gsc.tab=0

"Why does the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission insist there are no cougars in the state? Wait a minute. What the AGFC says, and has said repeatedly over a number of years is that there is no evidence of a breeding population of cougars in the wild in Arkansas. The agency does not deny that there may be some of the big cats roaming around, but the opinion is those are escaped pets or deliberately released pets.

Someone buys a baby cougar. Oh, how cute. The cat grows up. Maybe it is declawed. A hundred-pound-plus cougar, declawed or not, is a factor around the house. The fun and games with the baby cougar disappear, and the owner tries to give it away. Nothing doing. So under cover of darkness, the cougar is taken “out in the woods” and turned loose.

This is cruel to the animal, a pet since it was a baby. It is forced to fend for itself, find food or die of starvation."

The EASTERN COUGAR is the cougar that originally inhabited Arkansas and since now they are EXTINCT (and have been through all these sighting for 20 years) what you have now is cougars being released and/or perhaps breeding but you don't have the eastern cougar "coming back" as you stated
    "I got the PR Director of AGFC in my kitchen (at camp) and grilled him."
    And if you have me in your kitchen grilling me I'd admit to smoking on the Hindenburg to get out...
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

OK then. I'm sure you're right.

Cappy quote:

This is cruel to the animal, a pet since it was a baby. It is forced to fend for itself, find food or die of starvation."
    What's even more cruel is the fact they're usually having to fend for themselves WITHOUT CLAWS! Not an easy task for a cat.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Because if they're "wild", they're a protected endangered species and that requires management plans and all kinds of other stuff that's easier to ignore for as long as you can. Sort of like those reddish looking coyotes I've seen pictures of down in the Carolinas. Definitely not a red wolf. No sir.

Other than thinking it might be kind of cool to have them back in VA, I don't really have a dog in this fight. Last I heard, our game department's position was that there are none in VA. But, it's illegal to shoot one. What's that tell you?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Yea one of them reddish coyotes weighted 62 pounds too....
    But I will tell you legal or not (period) as far as cougars go if I'm hunting and i see one, you will see one.

Arkansas officials note that while the photos of the mountain lion confirm its presence, they don't provide any clue to the animal's origins. They say more than 100 cougars are kept as pets in Arkansas, and without more information they can't rule out the possibility that the cat in Scott's photographs either escaped or was released from captivity.

This all begs a question ... when does a species become a "native population"? Wild hogs aren't native to this area, they were brought over by the Spanish/European explorers/settlers as food stock and many escaped their pens to become feral. They're listed as "game animals" by our Game Commission ... at least I assume they are, as they're listed under our hunting season and bag limits, even though hog hunting is open year round with no limits. Where/when do they draw the line?

I've never seen nor heard a panther but the owner of the place Trav and I leased for deer hunting a few years back claimed he'd seen them on his property. One of my favorite places to hunt there was with my back up against a rock bluff that was about 100 feet tall. Whether they existed or not, I can tell you I kept my eyes peeled just in case! And for rattlesnakes too!

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    The one claim that makes me pull my last hair out is when (and it happens a lot) people seeing a Black Panther. I ain’t talking about the racist group I’m talking about a cat…. NO SUCH THING….
    I did the research on this one years ago when we had a rash of "sightings". You're right Cap. There has *never* - as in *ever* - been documented evidence of a melanistic mt. lion, cougar, catamount, puma..... No mounts, no pictures and not even an antique hide hanging in an old hunting cabin. Just, apparently, doesn't happen. There are black jaguars and leopards.. if you have one of these you have bigger problems than mt. lions.

btw.. DNR said "forever* we had none here (mt. lions).. Then they had one shot, one road kill and one hit by a train in about a year's time. Now we have "as many as 15 statewide". No documented evidence of a breeding population.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 08-10-2015 at 08:56 PM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

The black panther thing has been "seen" around here since I was a kid. And many times they refer to them as a Florida Black Panther.
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING! and I cannot tell you how many first hand sighting are reported each year. (In NC)
    I'm sure people are seeing something, I don't mean to sound like folks are just making it up (but in some cases they are). But probably most of the times they see a dog crossing the road really fast at night or a coyote or bobcat or young. bear? Who knows?
    The average person could not tell a cougar track apart from a dog, coyote or bobcat. And certainly not a mom and cub track... Could be anything. But I do know there is a "Need" for people to believe in (and see and report) black panthers, bigfoots, lizard man and a sundry of other stuff.

What made it worse is when the football team came to North Carolina and they use a Black Panther for the mascot of the Carolina Panthers...

image-854403536.jpg

Who did the research in that was a real brain surgeon. At LEAST Florida, Jacksonville team called themselves Jaguars....

Of course Charlotte had to put two of these black panthers at the entrance to Carolinas stadium.... So I guess folks think they are real... image-269090898.jpg

image-1091588720.jpg

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    "I'm sorry I had to fight in the middle of your Black Panther party. ... "
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

This is a first hand sighting with cellphone video of a lion in a neighborhood in Wisconsin, and it ain't the first sighting there. A lion was reported there 2 years ago. Police say he was stalking deer. Guess they are expanding their range too.
    Hummmmmm.... Wonder if there is a breeding population already. If someone shoots him I guess that means he is really wild and not someone's pet that was released or escaped.
    Where's the good dentist when you need one?

http://abc13.com/news/lion-reported-...orhood/871883/

Sex panther, 60% of the time, it works every-time.......

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I know for years the Oklahoma dept of wildlife denied that we had them in Oklahoma. They have since changed their stance after several have been hit by cars. One was killed by a train in western Ok that had been tagged in Wyoming a couple years before. One actually showed up in somebody's tree in Tulsa and they called the police. A couple of zoo keepers came out with them and darted it. That was on the local news. As far as personal accounts about 6 years ago Hombre and I were turkey hunting in western OK on the Black Kettle National Grassland and stopped in the U.S. forestry service office to get maps. We asked a U.S. Forrest Ranger if we had lions in OK and he said follow me. He took us Around the corner to a full body mount and said it was killed about 5 miles from Cheyenne, OK which was about 10 miles from where we were. Now this was before the state had changed their official stance on them. The ranger said the state was full of shit because Texas and New Mexico we're known to have self sustaining populations and it would only make sense with what we know about how far they range. If that one that had been collared in Wyoming can make it all the way down here I have no doubt that a few from NM and TX could wander over.

Now I am not saying there is one behind every tree but I do believe there is a small population here.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Administrator
    Aug 15? That's incredible. Also my birthday. And Post-hole's. Seems apropo.
    --Foo

Posthole's is the 16th. He's one day younger than you.

snort

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    My birthday was saturday, today is my anniversary. have reach full fledged curmudgeonhood

busy month august is, didn't see no catamounts tho
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Happy Birthday! You ain't very old though (a good thing).

Happy Anniversary. Poor woman.

Where do ya''ll see how old everyone is ?

Quote Originally Posted by No-till Boss View Post
    secret committee....lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    secret committee....lol!
    Oh.....

Some just know, some list their B/D in their profiles and some have Facebook pages with that info.

'Course, there's always the Secret Committee ... the S/C is all-knowing!

Now I feel like y'all talk about me behind my back, not that I don't deserve it, it just the fact that y'all do .....lol
    Last edited by No-till Boss; 08-11-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Now I feel like y'all talk about me behind my back, not that I don't deserve it, it just the fact that y'all do .....lol
    If you only knew ..... IF you only knew!!

Telling you Jim, that NTB is a real pric.....
    PS - wrong button, was supposed to push the secret committee section....