Thread: VA Dufi...

VA Dufi...

I got drawn for the radford ammo plant hunt.

First time, so I HAVE to kill a doe.... But NEXT time, it's BUCK. and if you know anything about that hunt.... It's a place FULLLLL of big boys. I've googled many sites that claim you will see 15-20 BIG bucks in one day...

I got drawn for the shotgun hunt on December 5 in the New River Unit.

Any of youse ever hunt there? Know anyone that has ?

Can't scout before hand... Locked down pretty tight. Can't even walk in without a criminal background check which I have to pay for before then.

Help? Tips?

I think I will use this hunt just to get a good eye on the area, take copious notes and pics (cameras are allowed) and scout out for the next hunt, which will be buck (but that's prolly two years out).

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I've heard about it, but have no personal knowledge. You may want to try over here: http://www.vasportsmen.com/forums/

Do you automatically get to go back if you take a doe?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Do you have a CCW permit? Wouldn't that suffice as proof of a criminal backgroud check?

At any rate, good luck. Sounds like fun!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    I've heard about it, but have no personal knowledge. You may want to try over here: http://www.vasportsmen.com/forums/ Do you automatically get to go back if you take a doe?
    I occasionally troll around in that site, but hadn't posted there.... Will do so now. Good idea, thanks.

No - it's a points system. Go back to zero after this hunt, but next time I'm drawn will be able to shoot buck. First time drawn is always doe only.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Do you have a CCW permit? Wouldn't that suffice as proof of a criminal backgroud check? At any rate, good luck. Sounds like fun!
    Nope. Already checked on that.

Archer used to hunt there as regularly as he could. They're VERY strict about their regulations. I remember thinking I wouldn't have the patience for it but I hate being told what to do. I gots me an attitude problem. LIke you have to go to a very specific place, can't move, can't get down, can't leave until they come get you, etc. But that was a long time ago. Maybe they've vhilled out since then.

Definitely some bruisers there. That's for damn sure.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Be careful. Don't shoot Cecil the buck. :-)
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

i got drawn out for an ammunition depot hunt at McAlester Oklahoma back in the 80s. The people who worked there had a deck of playing cards (just like the Al Queada ones after 9/11) with the big bucks photographed and ranked highest to lowest. They had some monsters and still do. its now recurve bow only.

bKB

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Be careful. Don't shoot Cecil the buck. :-)
    SD'er! lol!