Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flake or possibility? (this "might" get long & turn into a Thump post) ...

Flake or possibility? (this "might" get long & turn into a Thump post) ...

I watched Trump as he spoke in Iowa last night and I honestly don't know what to think of him. I think it's like political correctness with me, these days, we say what's polite or what we're expected to say ... but I believe deep down inside, many of us are afraid to say what we really feel. BUT ... I understand that. My whole adult life was spent managing a business, whether it be my own or somebody else's. There's an old saying, "The customer is always right". But are they really? I couldn't tell you how many times in business I had to bite my tongue. On the inside I was thinking, get out of my face you low-life mother-fucker ... but, "Yes sir/ma'am, you're right and I'll take care of it" would come out of my mouth. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't a total push-over, I've told a few what I thought of them and actually thrown a few out of my place of business over the years, BUT ... afterwards, (except in the case of my OWN business) ... I'd make a beeline to the GM or Owner/President's office to explain the circumstances and my actions in case word got back to them (which it usually did). The big term these days is "Political Correctness" ... but I'm not so sure that term existed during most of my business life ... it was just something you did, without tacking a name onto it. General "business sense" maybe?

Well, I've always (since WAY before this Presidential thing) thought Trump was a blowhard ... and I still do in a way. BUT, on the otherhand, I respect his business sense. I have to admit, I've never hated a President in my lifetime as much as I hate Obama ... I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire, but he promised "Hope & Change". Ha! There was "change" alright! But this really isn't about Obama. The point is, I DO want change ... we NEED change. Actually, EVERY Presidential candidate promises "change" ... it just rarely happens. Do I believe Trump would change things? Hell yes! But, I'm not positive what I think about his "bedside manner". That said, I have TOTAL respect for him as a businessman and he's a mover and a shaker ... he KNOWS how to get things done. For a brief period a few years back, I was a fan of Ross Perot ... but my infatuation with him went into the toilet pretty fast and I bailed. With Trump, I keep thinking, "No f'ing way", but deep down inside, I'm thinking, "way??".

In MY personal life, I started out in car delaerships by sweeping floors and doing anything I could just to earn a few bucks. ANYTIME a position opened up that I thought I could handle, I'd throw my name in the hat. From sweeping floors and taking out the trash, I moved "up" to parking cars (a Lot-Jockey). From there to picking up and delivering customer's cars. I went from there to Mechanic's Helper, then a Mechanic, then Shop Foreman, then a Service Advisor. Basically, by time I was in my late 20's, I'd done everything in the shop, short of management. I will admit, a management position was in my sites ... but I wanted to gain a bit more experience before attempting that leap. All this time, I seemed to have a natural ability to meld very well with GM factory reps, both locally and in Detroit ... and some very good relationships were formed. I was well on my way, but IMHO, was not even close to management material ... "yet". Then came the day the owner called me into his office. I entered to find him, the GM, the Service and Parts Director as well as the head of Cadillac Customer Service Relations from Detroit sitting in the office. I had no clue what was going on. Long story just a bit shorter, I was asked to accept the position of Service Manager. (this was at the only Caddie dealer in Hollywood ... a VERY large dealership) I was as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs!

Bottom line is, I lacked the personal confidence I needed and told them I honestly didn't feel I was ready. I had planned on staying at my present position a bit longer to learn from it and THEN move to the next level. I then said something about not knowing enough to solve all problems with the modern, computerized cars of those days and would not know how to be the head "go-to guy" for the whole department because there were things I knew nothing about. The GM Rep. laughed and said, "Jim ... I wouldn't know how to change a tail-light bulb, but I know WHERE to find out how to do it"! He went on to tell me I knew ALL the head people at the factory level and they all thought highly of me or I (the Rep) wouldn't be a part of this meeting.

This is where the most important words of my career were uttered ... and I've never forgotten them. I was told I don't need to know the answer to every problem that may arise, all I need to know is WHERE to FIND the answer. I was told I'm very good at that already as I have an excellent relationship with the GM factory personnel and they all think highly of me. I also know WHO to call for specific problems instead of bouncing around from department to department. Anyway, I was promoted and that started a long-standing and very close relationship with the GM brass. It continued to other dealerships and I eventually felt more like a consultant as they'd suggest I move to dealers along the way who were in "trouble" with the factory in the early days of CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index). At the last dealer it was "suggested" I move to, the CSI was in the toilet (37) and they were about to lose their franchise. I turned the place around and had the CSI at 98% when I left to start my own business. Isn't that basically what this country needs?

Now to my point. Trump talks about the "good people" he has working for him. He says some are nice, some aren't so nice, BUT ... they know how to get things done. I see he now devotes 100% of his time to the Presidential campaign, so he OBVIOUSLY has some good and trusted people running his "business empire" while he's out of pocket. People seem to think the President has all the answers. No, the President "should" have a staff of people he works closely with who will have the answers, depending on their expertise. In a successful business, you have a staff meeting, bounce ideas off the wall, listen closely to the people who excell in the areas in question, and come up with a decision. I think Trump knows and understands that, otherwise, his businesses wouldn't be as successful as they are. He never fails to mention the "good people" he has working in his organization and always mentions that "WITH THEM" he can turn this country around. I think of the cars back in the early days of computers and emission controls, etc. Without help from my "staff" in Detroit, I could not have fixed half of what "I" fixed. The trick to being a good manager is knowing when to ask for help AND knowing where to seek that help.

I used to picture Trump as a blowhard and imagined him as one who makes all the decisions and you can't tell him anything because he's a "know-it-all". I'm changing my opinion of him now as he never fails to mention the "good/smart people he has working for him". Now, the question I have is, if elected, will he surround himself with business people? Or politicians? Can business people take this country where it needs to go? Heck, "politicians" sure aren't doing a very good job of it! But I do feel there has to be a compromise because when "we" deal with other countries, we will be dealing with "politicians". It's like a Catch-22. But, I'm finding I can't help but listen to him. There are a lot of things I don't like about him, but there are a lot of things I DO like ... and apparently, I'm not alone in this country. On one hand, he scares me and I sense a trainwreck ... on the otherhand, I'm intrigued and "want" to believe in him.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I think Trump has some serious shock value to his methods, but at the end of the day, he's probably the best man for the job we have ahead of us.

I kinds see me in Trump. I like to talk, I'm harsh, come off as arrogant, self centered and abrasive . But on the other hand, I'm probably the most self-motivated person you'll ever meet, I'm the guy you want on a project of any kind, I'm relentless on my pursuit of excellence, I'm OCD on everything being perfect, and I've never had to set a alarm in my fife. But most people don't wanna be around a person like this, until they need something done ! LOL

I think I'll vote for Trump if the opportunity arises !

I wrote this once before and Bucky claimed I was ridiculing him or Republicans or whatever. Imagine that. But its seriously true. When it comes down to what is being said, how its being said, and the reasoning behind it, Trump sounds almost identical to the great majority of conservative people that I know personally. So why wouldn't he be the front runner? But for some reason conservatives don't seem to like the mirror that Trump is, held up in their faces.

As for the political correctness thing, PC and people getting offended aren't the reasons we have gridlock in our country. The reason for gridlock is that we've put political ideology ahead of basic human values when we are selecting our governmental representatives. I won't even call them 'leaders'. 'Leader' is a bonus. In my mind, the way this is supposed to work, we're supposed to elect the people we think will make the decisions that we agree the most with and then allow them to go do the best job they can. That doesn't mean that they'll be right or that they'll even cast their vote the way we want them to every time. Nowadays though, every vote in the congress is a big ideological fight and every move by every player is monitored and discussed. No wonder we have a bunch of assholes in Washington. We created it. As Pogo famously said, we have met the enemy and they are us. It only when we elect people who aren't wingnut ideological freaks that we'll see what some smart people can do to solve what mostly are business process problems. Sorry, but Trump ain't one of 'em.

BKB

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by an illogical minority and mainstream media which believes it is possible to pick up a piece of shit from the clean end!!!!!!!!

Business problems <----> Trump. I'm not convinced one way or ta'other.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Well, I keep expecting him to tank ... but he just seems to gain momentum. BUT ... the elections are a long way off. I'll admit I'm interested in following his campaign to see how he "matures" over time. It may be a circus, but it's an interesting circus.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

If nothing else, he's frothing up the waters and making it so the Republican candidates can start sentences like "My colleague Mr. Trump may have angered many by saying ________ in such a blunt way but I'm here to tell you that ___________ is really important for our country and this is the much less incendiary way I would address it."
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Administrator
    That ain't the case LJ, they're picking up his lingo! "Anchor baby" is being tossed around by the ones who opposed before to the term, like Jeb Bush.
    --Foo

True, but Trump is laying waste to the landscape while they take a much safer path in the wake he's leaving. I could be wrong. It's bound to happen eventually.

It's a wonderJeb don't tune-up and cry everytime Trump belittle him. You can tell Jeb is scared to death ....

Jeb doesn't know what to do with a loud moth bully like Trump. That's concerning for a world leader.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I have long advocated that the sole hope for this country is the Chaos Party. The old ways ain't cutting it.

"We need mainstream folks" is a pile of unmitigated horse dookey. No, we don't.

And what we need is a CONGRESS that is not afraid to act, and act in the interests of the American People, and not our allies, not our enemies, not our neighbors, not even our friends........but us. And when we get that down pat, we can move on to others.

Anyone that abolishes the greater part of the Federal Government is who I'm for. Anyone else is hot air.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

But by the way..........IF Trump could pull a miracle and get elected, I doubt he could get much of his touted programs through Congress, or funded, since they are all weenie-wads.

Government right now just sucks. This is not "Politics". That's a smokescreen to keep from acting like you care about life. Government is the problem, at least the way we've evolved ours. It's broken.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    All I can say Barry is that you're hanging out with the wrong class of "conservatives" if that's true. Trump is nothing more than bullying misogynist. He may have tapped into some sort of populist working man's angst. But, he's no conservative. He's nothing more than an opportunist spooning pablum to the disaffected masses. As such, he'll end up on the scrap heap of history just like the rest of his ilk.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

ha. You need to hang out with my Conservatives. They are Giddy over what this guy is saying, while disliking his ego.

Lots to say. But got to go for now. More tomorrow.

I'll collect a few quotes from the conservatives here and we can compare them to Trump quotes and I'll show you what I mean.

bKB

That will just prove my point.

What difference does it make if Trump is not a true conservative ?

He's a snake oil salesman selling people a bill of goods. Based on his prior statements, he believes barely anything he's now spewing. For example, he's previously on the record for being for nationalized health care and and against gun rights. (Those are just two quick examples.). The practical impact is that, if elected, he will accomplish nothing as he has neither the courage of his convictions nor the support of either side of the Congress. The bottom line is that any proposal will be DOA.

(I really don't care if he's "conservative" as I probably wouldn't meet most of the GOP's definition either. It bothers me that people are buying his bullshit. The same people who have spent the last 20 years labeling anyone that doesn't agree with them a RINO are now supporting the biggest RINO in the race. That bothers me.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    He's a snake oil salesman selling people a bill of goods. Based on his prior statements, he believes barely anything he's now spewing. For example, he's previously on the record for being for nationalized health care and and against gun rights. (Those are just two quick examples.). The practical impact is that, if elected, he will accomplish nothing as he has neither the courage of his convictions nor the support of either side of the Congress. The bottom line is that any proposal will be DOA.

(I really don't care if he's "conservative" as I probably wouldn't meet most of the GOP's definition either. It bothers me that people are buying his bullshit. The same people who have spent the last 20 years labeling anyone that doesn't agree with them a RINO are now supporting the biggest RINO in the race. That bothers me.)
    You just had two terms of Obama, is there any idea in your mind that it could be worse with Trump ???
    Last edited by No-till Boss; 08-26-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    It's Trump or Hillary, Period....Take your pick...

I agree with Thumper, That's the same way I feel about Trump.

Yes. He could set the GOP/conservative movement back 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by No-till Boss View Post
    You just had two terms of Obama, is there any idea in your mind that it could be worse with Trump ???

Career politicians are all the same...Time for a businessman...

Yes. He could set the GOP/conservative movement back 30 years.
    Reagan years were the best years of my life...Not so Bad if you ask me...

You'll get no argument from me in that point. Ronald Reagan was the greatest President of my life time. Donald Trump isn't even in the same discussion.

I'm curious what accomplishments y'all feel were made from eight years of the Reagan presidency. I have my own list but I'm curious what yours is.

bKB

My salary.

Removal of the wall.

You'll get no argument from me in that point. Ronald Reagan was the greatest President of my life time. Donald Trump isn't even in the same discussion.
    By damn I don't want go back to the 80's, I like to starved to death......fuck that !

The GOP needs set back 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by No-till Boss View Post
    By damn I don't want go back to the 80's, I like to starved to death......fuck that !
    Sucks to be you.

I did great.