Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flake or possibility? (this "might" get long & turn into a Thump post) ...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I'm curious what accomplishments y'all feel were made from eight years of the Reagan presidency. I have my own list but I'm curious what yours is. bKB
    He fundamentally changed what a great many people felt was the role of government.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Sucks to be you.

I did great.
    Is that when you married money ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    He fundamentally changed what a great many people felt was the role of government.
    Do you mean as a philosophy or as a practice? not being snarky, but I'm curious how you think its changed during his time in office and since.

bKb

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No-till Boss View Post
    By damn I don't want go back to the 80's, I like to starved to death......fuck that !
    hahaha^... I was in my 20's and everything was Great!!!...Gas was cheap, weed was cheep and Pussy was easy to get...Where were you?

Sucks to be you.

I did great.
    Please share your early 80's great experience with me, I'd love to hear ?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    He was trying to live without subsidies.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Please share your early 80's great experience with me, I'd love to hear ?
    Jobs everywhere. Salary kept skyrocketing. Good times
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    hahaha^... I was in my 20's and everything was Great!!!...Gas was cheap, weed was cheep and Pussy was easy to get...Where were you?
    What were you bringing home about $165 a week ? LOL

And there were lots of ducks.

Nonya.

Jobs everywhere. Salary kept skyrocketing. Good times
    Sounds like a hoot !

Wow...I remember in 1982 going to work for Daniel Const Co and making $6.25 an hour and thought I was rich...Lol...

He was trying to live without subsidies.
    I wasn't farming yet....

Wow...I remember in 1982 going to work for Daniel Const Co and making $6.25 an hour and thought I was rich...Lol...
    So I was about right for a single man. Plus the interest rate was 16-17% .

The 80's were very good to most people...

The 80's were very good to most people...
    I guess if you didn't wanna buy anything maybe.

So I was about right for a single man. Plus the interest rate was 16-17% .
    I was 18 and had a new Trans Am and a wife...We lived good!!!...Nice house too...

I guess if you didn't wanna buy anything maybe.
    New house every couple of years. New cars. Out to eat. Whatever.

By 1985 I was working at Plant Vogtle and was a millwright journeyman...My pay went up quite a lot...I think it was around $13/15 an hour...And that could buy anyone a nice house and a new car...at the time!

Edit: In july of 1985 I made 16.45 an hour and I was damn proud...Now that money cant even support a young couple...Thats a Fact!
    Last edited by airbud7; 08-26-2015 at 10:28 PM.

National average mortgage rate history of the entire 1980's was over 10% for the whole damn decade . And Bucky you claim to be a math wiz !

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    George F. Will hit is right on target, including his reference to George Wallace who I had in mind in my first post last night.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...64b_story.html
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I usually don't really follow all the candidates mainly because Indiana's primary is so late in the season, (May), that it's pretty much decided who the nominee will be by the time I get to vote. The vast majority of the candidates will have pulled out before our primary aren't even on the ballot here.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Unless Trump can magically create and responsibly communicate policies to support his bravado, CD's prediction will come to be. I don't see him being able to sustain it much longer with the attacks on him becoming more focused.

But... I remain resolute that knowing how to control social media and all the modern methods of communication is what got Obama elected, twice.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

If I have time today I will tell y'all what I think Trump is causing............if anyone cares.

But I don't think anyone has hit it right yet.

Well, here's what I think Reagan's legacy is. I've always thought he was the last president we had that was bigger than the office. And I think that philosophically, he molded the foundation for what moderate conservatives of both parties pretty much think of government today.

1. Derregulation - Reagan did a lot to deregulate business. Telecom deregulation as did the demonopolizing of the entire industry happened under his watch and was the biggest thing in American business since Teddy Roosevelt busted trusts when he was a Republican president. That had a HUGE personal impact on my career. I went to work for a little company with 700 employees in 1979 and within three years had tripled my started salary and had gotten three promotions. Of course, as NoTill pointed out, inflation was in the double digits so salaries were in large part tied to the inflation rate. I made a ton of money on my first house too from being in one of the hottest real estate markets in the country (Dallas) at the time and in double digit inflation.
    2. Fed Policy - Folks don't remember this, but before the Reagan era, the stock markets didn't hold their breath each quarter wondering if the Fed was going to raise interest rates. Using the Fed as a control measure of inflation was part of the reagan monetary policy and its probably impacted our lives economically more than any single thing Reagan or any other president has done since. The rest of 'Reaganomics' or supply side economics has been pretty much proven to be not effective. But this part sure was.
    3. Tear Down the Wall - Reagan's stance in the Cold War happened in a perfect storm with a lot of economic shit to bring the USSR down, but it also helped it along. You have to give Reagan credit for his SDI policies for zapping whatever will the Soviets had left.

Those are my top three. Only one, coincidently, would be part of the Republican platform today and that's number three. that's why I think he was bigger than the office. No republican would ever bust up an AT&T sized company these days. No Republican would ever create a governmental lever to shove the economy today.
    But if you think about Reagan objectively, how much could he have accomplished without Tip O'neill, the speaker of the House. They were ideologically different as night and day, but they got budgets passed every year, they got tax cuts (and a record number of tax increases) passed that reagan wanted, and all in a Democratically controlled House. Sure there were battles, but they worked it out and got it done. There's no way the current set of dildos would get half that done. Because they're more concerned about ideology than they are about America, plain and simple. Reagan and O'neill wasn't the first example of a president and House Speaker working together from opposite sides of issues, but they are damn sure the last.
    One last thing I think Reagan left us. The Fucking Bushes. That's when the bitterness and rancor started escalating in American politics and that's when both sides started openly using governmental processes to achieve political aims. And its when the Republicans started using fear as their number one political platform.

But that's a negative on what I was trying to paint as the positive contributions of Reagan.

BKB

A) I agree with a lot of that. That's a good post.

B) However, you KEEP creeping in that little smarky stuff that rankles certain folks......."The Bleeping Bushes". I like W. I always did. He was a good President and I will be happy to defend what he did in a separate post. But you have to come along and add this, for no reason......you forget that Clinton AND Obama, and everyone else, voted 100% to continue to fund what you wingnuts call "The Bush War", at every opportunity. Yet, they skate! Why? They funded it, not him! And I'll bet a billion dollars there WERE WMD's! Regardless, he didn't boink a White House Intern and slide, or lie every other word. Yet the guy that did is folks' hero. You said you HATED "W" and nothing he did woulds satisfy you. Yet, when others make that claim about Obama, you don't like it. That's why folks get upset over discussing things with you. One good post, and you throw that it at the end, and light the flames.

C) Sherman AntiTrust and Breaking up ATT, just because they were big and By Gosh We Can't Have That, has a few good points, but they weren't perfect.........Claiming that as a Great Thing is not what I'd agree with 100%. Look at ATT now! What a mess.

D) And yes, I sold houses like water, and made a fortune there too. Jobs, houses, cars, it was all fast and furious. (See what I did there?)

I see. So only bright and cheery shit about Reagan is allowed here. And this rule made by Mr Bright and Cheery hisowndamnself.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I see. So only bright and cheery shit about Reagan is allowed here. And this rule made by Mr Bright and Cheery hisowndamnself.

BKB
    Bright and Cheery???? I thought he was a curmudgeon!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

No, that's not valid either. That's an invalid extreme to go to. NO one said "ONLY" anything. That statement is just a tactic to divert the discussion.

But what you said wasn't about Reagan. It was your attempt to get yet another dig in, on W. Even that is almost ok, but when you do not allow the same exact sentiment to be stated about Obama, that's when it gets started.