Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report 08/26

Trip Report 08/26

We had a great day on the water today. The bass were running off with everything lie it was Ferguson on a friday night.

We caught 61 bass today and prolly twenty of those went over 2 pounds. my big fish was my first one of the day at 4 pounds 6 ounces.

Birddog with a nice fish
    image.jpg

Another Birddog fish
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I'm out of time. We caught 48 crappie, but they all died. Guy's boat I was in died........9 miles from the ramp. No one else on the water. We finally made it. I have to go to a get-together, more tomorrow. It was sad to throw all those away! We tore 'em up.

OH well.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Is that a Toyota in pic #3? Whose is that? Did Birddog buy a Tundra???
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    I'm out of time. We caught 48 crappie, but they all died. Guy's boat I was in died........9 miles from the ramp. No one else on the water. We finally made it. I have to go to a get-together, more tomorrow. It was sad to throw all those away! We tore 'em up.

OH well.
    Ummmm, that's what ice chests are for....well, actually beer and cokes, too.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Ummmm, that's what ice chests are for....well, actually beer and cokes, too.
    I was wonder if he was hitting them in the head with a hammer as he caught them ?
    Last edited by No-till Boss; 08-26-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Sounds like a couple of nice days fishing. I'm going to give it a whirl up here on some of these Vermont small irs tomorrow.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I'm out of time. We caught 48 crappie, but they all died. Guy's boat I was in died........9 miles from the ramp. No one else on the water. We finally made it. I have to go to a get-together, more tomorrow. It was sad to throw all those away! We tore 'em up. OH well.
    Were you gonna eat them alive?
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Ditto, Cap....I can't wait for Bucky's explanation of this (another) fiasco ....I woulda been filleting, while the other guy was paddling....just saying.
    Southern Gentleman

looks like a great day on the water and successful to boot!!

Quote Originally Posted by No-till Boss View Post
    I was wonder if he was hitting them in the head with a hammer as he caught them ?
    No, that's what we did with bass back when we bass fished, and didn't have live well.

THis wasn't my boat, or my trip.........I was just a spectator and assistant yesterday. We just got about 8 miles from the ramp upstream, and lost big motor. I suspect bad fuel, but it's in the shop today so we'll find out I guess, sometime. Ran the battery down trying, moved the TM batteries to the big motor, still no dice. But the aerator went out so fish died! Ugh. And we had a very small ice chest with drinks, but didn't take a big fish chest with ice..........why not? Cause we had a livewell!! Duh. But I wish we'd have had one.

Got home in time to shower and head to the Traveler's game........guy got a Suite and we had a good time. Beat Tulsa, which is always good since Posty lives there and I like beating Posty at stuff!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Ditto, Cap....I can't wait for Bucky's explanation of this (another) fiasco ....I woulda been filleting, while the other guy was paddling....just saying.
    I thought of that, but the only knives we had other than pocketknives were electric knives! Planning on using them ON SHORE. No place in his boat that he either WOULD clean them or WANTED to get messy, no board, etc. Again, this is NOT my boat, I'm just a back-seat rider and noticer on this trip. And yet, I agree I should have tried to clean them faster, but it was August heat, livewell with no power, and we spent an hour fiddling with the batteries, etc........and when I noticed the fish, they were gone. Makes me sick, that was one of our best days in years.

My boat has a MANUAL (haha) filet knife on board..........and next time I go with anyone, my tackle box will have one.

Shoulda used some seaFoam in it and that wouldn't have been a problem!

And since the Drillers are now a Dodger affiliate, I don't watch them so awful much any more.

BKB

No sir, I was not. Odd question! Do you eat yours that way? I bet Thump does!!!

BUT, I want my meat to be fresh as possible, and I want to clean my meat (Fish, deer, poached cows, whatever) as soon after its demise as possible...............thus, I keep my fish alive until I clean them, when I can.

Heck, Phole, he coulda just poured SeaFoam on the fish....it woulda brought them fish back to life!!!
    Southern Gentleman

See? Sea Foam IS IN MY BOAT. But not his!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Shoulda used some seaFoam in it and that wouldn't have been a problem!

And since the Drillers are now a Dodger affiliate, I don't watch them so awful much any more.

BKB
    ??

You liked the Rockies better?

Well, yeah. I kind of liked it when Tulowitzski played here, although that was like one season. I can't stand the Dodgers. I can't stand Don Mattingly. AGON makes me want to go beat somebody up. Puig is an undisciplined player much like a lot of other supposed superstars were that couldn't make it in the bigs. He'll never get the clubhouse discipline he needs under Mattingly and that clubhouse full of egos. I hate 'em, despite usually being Sandy Koufax (because he was a lefty) in back yard fantasy baseball games throw and catch games with my cousin.

What was the question?

BKB

Well, I sure as heck get that................and don't blame you.

I am SICK of the Arkansas Travelers. I have refused to go to their "new" park until Bill Valentine died. He was a JERK! He's gone, and a friend of mine 'bought' a suite for a few of us high school buddies and we went and had free food and watched the game. It was great weather and a good time. That's why I went. The Tulsa thing was just for your benefit........I didn't care who they played. They're an American League farm team, like I give a RA.

Which makes me even madder. Poor National League farm teams have to play with a DH..........their pitchers never learn to hit! No wonder MLB pitchers can't hit!

Now how the "F" did this turn into a baseball thread? I don't know if this belongs in the "fishing forum" or the "who gives a rat's ass forum"!

Take it over to the Pham is Phab thread!

I used to have season tickets to the Drillers back when I first moved back to Oklahoma from Texas and followed the Rangers a lot. Me and Bassdog used to argue like cats and dogs over the Rangers and Cards. Of course, the Rangers couldn't win the Little League World Series back in those days. But I did get to see some really great players come through here. Rueben Sierra was a good one, Juan Gonzales played here, Pudge Rodriguez was a hoot to watch even in Double A, and a bunch more. The Rangers could field an All Star team with the position players they developed and never added enough pitching to win anything.
    Bassdog converted me back to a Cards fan. I t was like getting the Texas brainwashing out of my system when I got back home.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Now how the "F" did this turn into a baseball thread? I don't know if this belongs in the "fishing forum" or the "who gives a rat's ass forum"!

Take it over to the Pham is Phab thread!
    See what I meant the other day? I don't belittle your silly Nascar posts. Try to have some manners, CURMUDGEON!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I used to have season tickets to the Drillers back when I first moved back to Oklahoma from Texas and followed the Rangers a lot. Me and Bassdog used to argue like cats and dogs over the Rangers and Cards. Of course, the Rangers couldn't win the Little League World Series back in those days. But I did get to see some really great players come through here. Rueben Sierra was a good one, Juan Gonzales played here, Pudge Rodriguez was a hoot to watch even in Double A, and a bunch more. The Rangers could field an All Star team with the position players they developed and never added enough pitching to win anything.
    Bassdog converted me back to a Cards fan. I t was like getting the Texas brainwashing out of my system when I got back home.

BKB
    Lawzy. Then I wish I had Bob's skills!

See what I meant the other day? I don't belittle your silly Nascar posts. Try to have some manners, CURMUDGEON!
    But those posts are made in a NASCAR thread!

Where's Alison Widmer when we need her?

You are so narrow minded.......you really need to remove your signature. If you don't like it, you don't want it on your planet.

A few hours dead would not have made any difference in those fish. That was just a waste. And if you ain't letting your deer hang a couple of weeks before you process them, you are missing out.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Note to self: Try and not tell folks what you did today..........

A few hours dead would not have made any difference in those fish. That was just a waste. And if you ain't letting your deer hang a couple of weeks before you process them, you are missing out.
    I've never tried the two week deal. What temp and humidity? Most I've ever done was hang them until the core temp drops to room temp or more. Usually stuff a couple bags of ice in the cavity to help it along.

BUt I've never tried hanging them for that long. For one, I don't have space to do that.

BKB

It's hard for me here, when I disagree with folks. I don't know what to say. I just know I'm not cleaning dead fish that had turned white and stunk to high heaven, after being in HOT water under the sun beating down, for hours.........and I'm not hanging a deer with flies all over it for 2 weeks when the lows at night are about 55 degrees........and then trying to eat either one. I don't go buy hamburger and bring it home and hang it up in the yard for 2 weeks. I refrigerate it as fast as I can, and keep it that way.

If that's the wrong way, then hey............I'm a wrong way guy, I guess. But that's how I do it.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I don't blame you on the fish, but that is why my tackle box is old school and has a stringer in it. As for the burger, it was probably hung for a couple weeks before it was made burger, so that would just be overkill to do it again.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

I know Tony did that..........and said the same thing. I admit I've tried it, and all I get is flies and yellow jackets all over the meat and it ruins. If I don't know what I'm doing, fine........I can learn. But I just don't do it that way.

I also have a stringer in my boat.

In this case, I think the attention to the state of the fish was overlooked during other matters, and we (I) should have looked much sooner.