Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trip Report 08/26

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Sounds to me that you should just use your boat from now on.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

People stretch cheesecloth over their deer before hanging them . However, I've never aged a deer either, only witnessed it..

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    I don't blame you on the fish, but that is why my tackle box is old school and has a stringer in it. As for the burger, it was probably hung for a couple weeks before it was made burger, so that would just be overkill to do it again.
    Exactly what I was going to say

Posty a walk in cooler and let the meat hang a couple of weeks. Makes a WORLD of difference.
    Aged beef is called aged for a reason. It's better!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Oh and fish stink BEFORE they die too. They don't smell any worse a short time after death. Now in a day or two maybe.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Yep, that's what I figured, a walk in cooler. Man but that'd be nice to have! And a smokehouse right beside it! I could do me some damage with those two.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    Sounds to me that you should just use your boat from now on.
    That would solve problems. Just talked to the guy, and his is in shop. I think he learned a few lessons, I know I did.

Taking mine every trip has cost me a long time friendship this year, though. I've not said anything here, but I've been torn up for months over it. 50 year friendship......because someone is selfish enough to 'use' me and my stuff and never use his own, or never do a turnaround. I guess I'm not smart enough to do stuff the right way, and also too naive to see when I'm being used.

And yeah, a simple stringer would have helped!

As to the deer, I can't see myself doing that. Not sure what it would accomplish. I have hung them for days, of course. But not weeks. I am not in one spot for weeks..........
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

When meat hangs in a cooler long enough to dry out and it starts to get a light coat of mold on it, it is ready to be processed. Admittedly I seldom let them hang that long but I do let them hang at least two weeks.

I think Captain is confused. I'm not sure if he ages his liquor for two weeks and his deer for two days or t'other way around!

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say

Posty a walk in cooler and let the meat hang a couple of weeks. Makes a WORLD of difference.
    Aged beef is called aged for a reason. It's better!
    Well gosh.

Yeah, but I ain't got that!!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

When meat hangs in a cooler long enough to dry out and it starts to get a light coat of mold on it, it is ready to be processed. Admittedly I seldom let them hang that long but I do let them hang at least two weeks.
    So then, WHO cooks it????????

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    So then, WHO cooks it????????
    Any woman or girly man that's around.

You look like you've dropped a few lbs there, BBP. Or was it just from stretching your arms so far toward the camera?
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Any woman or girly man that's around.
    Me I guess. I'm feeling full of estrogen lately, it seems.

Me I guess. I'm feeling full of estrogen lately, it seems.
    You're just retaining water, you'll be OK in a few days...

Lawzy am I ever.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    You look like you've dropped a few lbs there, BBP. Or was it just from stretching your arms so far toward the camera?
    28 pounds since last August. Down to 220 and was at 248 on my birthday last year. Part of it was a med I was on. Stopped that and the pounds dropped slowly but surely. Part of it too was a goal to get rid of this type 2 diabetes by my 61st birthday. Didn't quite make it, but I'm off of insulin and just taking one pill for it a day now and managing my shit with diet and exercize. Anyway, that enoughj about that. But there is less of me! and that was a big old toad of a bass!
    Made my drag go ZINNNNNNNGGGGG a few times!
    BKB

But the real question this thread screams for an answer is:
    Who is uglier Posthole or Birddog. (Or a tie)

Birddog has indeed gotten uglier.

Posthole? He would have gotten uglier with age, but that turned out to be impossible.

And good for you Barry. Good job! I'm quite jealous. I'm headed the other way.

Believe me, I'm not breaking any records. but since I retired I've been busier than a cat trying to cover up poop and most of it has been physical work, which is what I'm ain't doing now and I need to go get after!

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    28 pounds since last August. Down to 220 and was at 248 on my birthday last year. Part of it was a med I was on. Stopped that and the pounds dropped slowly but surely. Part of it too was a goal to get rid of this type 2 diabetes by my 61st birthday. Didn't quite make it, but I'm off of insulin and just taking one pill for it a day now and managing my shit with diet and exercize. Anyway, that enoughj about that. But there is less of me! and that was a big old toad of a bass!
    Made my drag go ZINNNNNNNGGGGG a few times!
    BKB
    Good job !

Bucky, remember where you live, bro....the deep south....if the surface water temps up your way are anything like ours, you were prolly gonna lose some of those fish, anyway....a livewell pump only pulls water in from the surface, and does nothing else, except provide some oxygen, via circulation....while it certainly helps, it isn't gonna keep fish alive forever, especially, when it's pumping in 90 degree surface water....those fish had just as well been in an aerating hot tub.

Did you catch any of your fish on the surface???....of course not, they were in the cooler deeper water....then you tossed them into your livewell, which was circulating 90 degree surface water....not a good situation.

In the deep south, this time of year, I NEVER depend on a livewell for over a couple of hours of very early or late fishing....to save room, just put the plug in your livewell, and fill it like an ice chest....in the extreme heat we have down here, you really need to get over your desire to clean a fish, while he's still kicking....put your fish on ice, as soon as he hits the deck, and you might be pleasantly surprised....and, I'll tell ya something else, they are easier to fillet, the slime is greatly reduced, and you can get more fillet meat off the bone, after they are chilled for a while on ice....JMHO.
    Southern Gentleman

My livewell does exactly that. His is a Triton and he has a neater livewell setup. He has ON, which does what mine does and what you describe..........it has RECIRC which recirculates (stirs) the water in the well without bringing in new........and then 'Auto' which does both!

Still you make good sense. Just another $40 worth of ice to fill my TWO big livewells up!!!!

I have an add on recirculating deal (Made to make a livewell out of a big cooler) and I would like to figure out how to wire that in to my timer on my two livewells.......

And the water surface temp was about 83 degrees.

Still you make good sense. Just another $40 worth of ice to fill my TWO big livewells up!!!!

And the water surface temp was about 83 degrees.

Well, you don't hafta fill BOTH of 'em with ice!!!....$5 bucks worth of ice should be sufficient in only one of 'em....and, if you're real stingy, just fill and freeze a couple of gallon jugs with water....they'll prolly last all day long....just trying to give you some ideas to keep your fish fresh and edible!!!

And, 83 degree surface water is like sudden death to a fish that's been holding deep in a much cooler strata of 8-10 feet water.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 08-27-2015 at 10:37 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

That was tongue in cheek about the cost. That makes good sense. I always have block ice frozen in 2 liter coke bottles.

Ok....hope you catch some more, and get them filleted, put in the freezer, and you get to pig out on them !!!
    Southern Gentleman