Thread: Camp/Fish/Float Invite - Shenandoah

Camp/Fish/Float Invite - Shenandoah

I'll try to make this a short story. I've been going on an annual'ish Shenandoah camping fishing trip with a young friend if mine and a couple of his buddies for a few years now. We had scheduled it for this September 18th weekend.

This year I managed to screw up and double book myself with weddings that weekend so I can't go.

But I still wanna go the following weekend of the Friday the 25th. The drill has been go early Friday, setup camp, tents, fish a little. Then the outfitter comes and picks you up Saturday morning, drops you in the river way above the campground and you fish your way back, whoever long you want to take. Sunday is breakfast, and mosey along with either fishing more, or heading back from whence you came.

So I'm throwing it out here to see if any of you dufes may want to join in.

This is the company that owns the primitive campsite (water and dons johns) and does the shuttling, canoe/kayak rental. I bring my own canoe and kayak and pay their shuttle fee. The campsite is at the bottom of a place called Compton Rapids. Which, as history tells us, is where Cap'n and Hammerhead went down sideways and backwards and still didn't spill the canoe. A feat unmatched by any humans since.

I'm looking for it to be low maintenance. No hand holding. Bring your own shit. Maybe coordinate some meals, etc.

http://www.downriver.com/canoe-trips/

Even if I don't get any takers, I may damn well go by myself
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    They may not have spilled it, but they sure as hell swamped it. I'm interested, but my September schedule is on hold until after a meeting Tuesday night.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Might be interested as well.

But I do like my hand held.

Straight outta Compton!

Cool place! I remember shootin through there.

bKB

I believe Barry and I made it thru not even paddling, nippin' on a flask of jeremiah and what not. Sort of divined our way thru it.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

We could make it a kid trip, too. Either way is fine by me. I'm bringing my top shelf vodka either way

Did I ever get you to try Crystal Head vodka?

If I didn't, I was remiss. The best.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Did I ever get you to try Crystal Head vodka?

If I didn't, I was remiss. The best.

BKB
    Isn't that the Vodka company that Dan Aykroyd owns? I have had it and it's pretty good, makes a fine Colorado Bulldog.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Len, it's good you don't live over here, between the two of us no smallie would ever consider itself safe.

Word up BS. Add Egghead and our buddy JJ in the mix and there isn't a bronzeback around that should feel safe

BBP, I've not had crystalhead yet but it's on my list.

It looks like I'm going to be down in Bath County for the youth deer day. So, I'm out.

Dang! Arty's thinking about it. He may bail once he finds out he can't bring his pop-up

Wish I could go! I'd sure enough like to see that river this time of year.

BKB

I was just talking to a buddy who was there yesterday. It's very low, slow and crystal clear right now.

Yeah, upper potomac is the same. Low as I've seen it in a very long time and gin clear.

Prime smallmouth habitat, that thar is. go small and go slow and use skinny line.
    BKB

Welp... I hate to do it but I have to put a bullet in this bad boy My Mom will start chemo treatments during that time so I need to stick close to home.

Sorry to hear that, Len. Dang, that's a tough row to hoe.
    bKB

Awww crap Len. Sorry to hear this. Please keep us informed. I wish you/her the best.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Wow, that is sure a downer. Do let us know how she does, prayers to you and your family...

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Welp... I hate to do it but I have to put a bullet in this bad boy My Mom will start chemo treatments during that time so I need to stick close to home.
    Yes you do.... So sorry to hear this. That is some wicked stuff. I hate she is having to go through that.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Sorry Len. I know how hard it is to deal with family health issues. Others here do too. As hard as it is, it's a part of life........but sometimes it sucks worse than others. Some of us are 'sandwich' worriers...........and have health issues above and below us, both!

Hang in there.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Len, I hope everything goes in y'all favor ....... sorry !

Hang in there buddy. I'll keep you and your Mom in my prayers.

Thanks guys... It's not looking good but we're hopeful. On the upside, she forgets she has cancer every 5 minutes or so, so we only tell her every once in a while

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I really admire your attitude in this. Like Niner, there are those who work hard to put a good face on anything, and then there is me.......
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Coincidentally, my Mom is the one who raised me this way. She is about as funny a person as you'll ever meet!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Prayers coming for all of you, makes my knee injury seem insignificant. If you need anything from a overweight one legged okie just ask.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775