Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If I was a Cop Today

If I was a Cop Today

I would walk to my Captains office and resign, effective today. What's happening to our Law Enforcement Officers is beyond tragic and completely 10,000,000% undeserved. I blame stupid people in large numbers, ignorant MF'ers in even larger numbers, and I blame social media.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    It can't be social media's fault because it's the gun's fault.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I don't think its just social media, although I think that plays a huge role. Look at the news and tell me that 99% of what you see, read, hear isn't negative on both sides. Very little about all the good cops do, very little about community peaceful demonstrations. There is a whole lot about police abuse of power and communities tearing themselves apart. I watched a program yesterday where the were discussing the tension and one of the guests stood up and said to a retired cop " you have to understand you're pushing us to where we're going to shoot back" the cop responded " I 34,000 of my brothers will be shooting at you"....Both are wrong imo. That is the huge divide we have right now nothing is rationale.

On your first point I agree. Cops have the toughest job in the world and get very little credit for the 99.999999999 that they do right. I would hate to be in a position, because all that is going on right now, to have to make a split second call while second guessing because of the scrutiny.

Kinda related, kinda not. I was in my office but could hear the tv in the other room. The conversation was about the possibility of making "Black Lives Matter" an official hate group. Heck, I didn't even know they were an organized "group" ... I though it was just something people were using as a rallying point.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

It's ridiculous. I think my saltiness toward social media as that irresponsible, sometimes insane, and seriously skewed perspectives are given credence that would never have existed before twitter or anything else.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

There is no respect for the police any longer. society is crumbling... This one I can see it happening, cop chasing the bad guys and get shots (not that I take it light...), but like the other one in TX where the officer was plain executed while he was not actively working on a crime is beyond my understanding(unless it is a vendetta for something, still not warranted).
    This place is going straight to hell... I guess Im heading to the Netherlands, I try to settle on one of those municipalities that speak English, im to old to learn Dutch...

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Kinda related, kinda not. I was in my office but could hear the tv in the other room. The conversation was about the possibility of making "Black Lives Matter" an official hate group. Heck, I didn't even know they were an organized "group" ... I though it was just something people were using as a rallying point.
    That's part of my point. #blacklivesmatter exists ONLY because of social media, twitter to be exact. It's given a voice to bullshit words that would otherwise be ignored. Too many ignorant people assign some sort of enhanced credibility to something that's seen "online" because they are dim, dull, ignorant, stupid, void of logic and unable to think for themselves.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    C'mon Len, don't be so Wishy washy, how do you really feel?
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I need a fuckin' mass taser

Another cop killed in Chicago today. (in the line of duty)
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Extremely organized. Actually an Acorn group. Read their demands on their website. Please....

Read elsewhere what they chanted today about cops.

Hate group indeed.

This group believes only black lives matter.

Sorry to offend anyone.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

So Black Lives Matter is responsible for these killings? Is that what you're saying? Just want to be clear who you hold responsible for it.

BKB

To some degree yes sir. Most cops are too.

Just to be clear.

Go read their Web site.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Sorry, I don't see it that way. Murders like this are done by assholes with no value at all for human lives. They feel no guilt for these kilings. They are psychopaths. And those assholes are produced more by circumstances than they are by their race. To the extent that minorities are more likely to be raised in those circumstances, then yeah you start to see race trends. But this is a result of the overall breakdown in human values in our society, not triggered by some organization. what do you want to do, make it illegal for people to form organizations like Black Lives Matter?
    I think its a pretty easy answer to say these killings are triggered by the media coverage of police shootings too. Maybe in some isolated incidents sure, but to blame the media and organizations like these are the simple answers we'd like to hear rather than the tough answers that are likely. Personally, I think our criminal justice system is oartly to blame. Our prison grind out these assholes like sausage. And to incarcerate more people and produce more assholes won't solve anything.
    look at the arrest records of the people doing this stuff. By and large these are career criminals and you have to ask yourself where they learned to be like they are.
    bKB

Don't care where they learned it or how. "Society is to blame" is a copout to let people not be accountable for their actions. Will never buy it. That group is not directly responsible of course. Every man stands alone.

But there are groups advocating open war on cops and they are not blameless. And I bet you've not investigated them any more than you investigated Jeremiah Wrights website when I told y'all about it 7 years ago to the day.

Your eyes are not open because it would violate your agenda. I suppose in one strange way Society has some blame.....if Society can be another name for Government. Because I do blame them for creating a system of handouts that erase individuality and breed people who demand everything be given them at any cost......which is what their website demands.

I stand by my beliefs. A Hate Group identical to the Klan IMHO.

I think an indirect tie can be made. It's not 100% right / 100% wrong discussion. Everyone that is part of the blacklivesmatter movement isn't hoping to create a racial divide a whole lot want to see peaceful improvement . But, I think that it has an impact, and that has lead to more extremism. Extreme people latch onto causes that are polarized in a direction, and that goes for both sides. As posted above I've seen both sides say some crazy stuff along the lines of "us vs them" that is the problem to me with a blacklivesmatter, whether intentional or not it is fostering a divide.

No of course everyone isn't. But the group is organized, financed, and has stated written demands. It's not some meme.

And while we're falling all over our respective Johnsons trying to not blame anyone, the FACT is that cops are being mowed down. They don't want us to carry a gun and now they want all cops dead. Amazing. Maybe the Army can come save us......

I'm trying to figure out why that group is even in the discussion about these police killings. you both claim they are responsible yet you feel the need to being them up. Do I agree with them? No, I don't. But they have the same first amendment rights everyone else does. Do they advocate killing policemen? No they don't.

These killings are individual responsiblilities. And the real copout is to claim there is some 'trigger' that made them do what they did when in reality it didn't trigger shit. at most its a weak ass excuse.

And if we want to start looking for respect of law enforcement we might try practicing what we preach with respect to others around us. No, I didn't say tolerance. I said respect.

And WTF does ACORN have to do with this? Other than the usual tie in to Obama.

BKB

Tracing the funding of the group leads to Acorn. Of course you won't believe that or check it out.

When this group that was marching heard of the cop in Chicago being killed, the began chanting "Pigs in a blanket, let's fry some bacon".

Believe whatever you wish.

And just FYI, the number of police killed in the lone of duty is on a downward trend and has been for many years.

That doesn't make a hoot of a difference to the families of those killed, but police aren't 'getting mowed down'.

bKB

One I can disagree with a movement and it doesn't mean that I don't have respect for the people. Its totally possible for good people to support a cause with intentions that don't show up as a result. Also, I never said they are chanting any type of hate. Finally, I never said I want to stamp out their first amendment right, and completely fine with that I just don't think it has the positive impact. Are you suggesting I should limit my first amendment right so others don't feel I encroached upon theirs? Just want to make sure I understand the logic? If I disagree, even with just the results not the message I am impeding their rights, If they disagree they are exercising their rights.

Well, my position is valid and yours is total ca ca.

Posthole you are wrong on this issue. The movement is triggering folks to do things like this.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

the police killing unarmed people is triggering this. Now I realize as much as everyone else that that's about 1/1000 of the total population of cops. But if there's anything that's risen statistically its the number of killings by police. And the ones where they pull someboduy over for something innocuious and end up killing an unarmed person is always going to make the news and rightfully so. It was those deals that started the whole thing and right or wrong, you can't argue with the numbers.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    the police killing unarmed people is triggering this. Now I realize as much as everyone else that that's about 1/1000 of the total population of cops. But if there's anything that's risen statistically its the number of killings by police. And the ones where they pull someboduy over for something innocuious and end up killing an unarmed person is always going to make the news and rightfully so. It was those deals that started the whole thing and right or wrong, you can't argue with the numbers. BKB
    Sure I can.... Have you forgot to whom you speak?

America divided.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    the police killing unarmed people is triggering this.
    BKB
    Nah, someone is using that as an excuse. It ain the black lives matter either...

Apparently deeply and irrevocably.

I havent forgotten to whom I'm speaking and I respect everything you have to say, particularly on this matter but more than most everyone else on about anything else. But you're full of shit as a Christmas turkey on this one.

The real poser on this whole deal is that violent crimes are actually going down while the number of people incarcerated is going up dramatically. We incarcerate more people than any other modern nation in the entire world. And our prisons are factories where real racial hatred and real criminals are created. At least that's what I think is the root cause of this. That doesn't mean some asshole somewhere isn't going to use it as an excuse, after all that fucker in South Carolina did.

BKB