Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Careful where you step.....

Careful where you step.....

Monday afternoon, I was finishing up a new walkway to our boat dock at Chicot....the screws for the last few boards were easier to install, by me standing in about knee-deep water, off to one side....I was only wearing a pair of old tennis shoes and socks....after completing the job, I had to walk thru a maze of submerged cypress knees to reach the bank, and hit my ankle pretty hard on one of the pointed ends of one of them....after getting out onto the bank, I looked at my ankle, and saw nothing more than a couple of scratches, so it never crossed mind, again....at least, not until 9 pm, that night.

I was eating supper, when suddenly my ankle started hurting like it was on fire, and started turning red, right before my eyes....WTF was going on???....then, the swelling started setting in....at 10 pm, I got the worst case of cold chills imaginable, but I was burning up....by morning, the bed sheets were wringing wet with sweat, but I was still having cold chills....late yesterday afternoon, I felt just a tad better, so wifey called the doctor, and he worked me in about 7 am, this morning....until then, I actually hadn't had enough energy to even go to the emergency room....all I wanted to do was sleep and sweat.

Doc said he sees this all the time, and called it a "Superbug" from the mud I had stirred up, while in the water, and said the least little scratch can let those bad little bastages enter your bloodstream, and cause all sorts of problems from quickly spreading....he scolded me for not coming in sooner.

Anyhow, I got two antibiotic shots in my azz cheeks, and a prescript. for another by mouth....he wants to see me again in the morning, and may have to give me some more follow-up butt shots.

You can bet your sweet azz that I will be more conscious about getting a scratch or minor cut, when I'm in an infectious environment!!!

Looks pretty innocent, right now....pic is from this morning....imagine 100% more red and 3 X times more swollen.

ank.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 09-02-2015 at 01:58 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    My gosh!! Wow
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

My son just called to check on me, and said he has a friend who had the same thing happen to him, while he was swimming at one of our state park lakes in south MS....he ignored it, and did not go to the doctor....it developed into full-blown cellulitis, and he had to be put on IV antibiotics.

Several cases of that new "flesh-eating bacteria" have already been reported on the coasts of Ala., GA, and Fla....Doc told me I wouldn't even be here, right now, if I had caught that sheeit!!!....only way to stop it is by amputation, usually within the first 24 hours.

It's dang sure nothing to play around with!!!
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 09-02-2015 at 02:20 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Is that like a flesh eating bacteria? We just had someone die in Oklahoma from it. caught it in a lake swimming supposedly.

bKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Is that like a flesh eating bacteria? We just had someone die in Oklahoma from it. caught it in a lake swimming supposedly.

bKB
    No kidding!!!!....I've only heard of it in the coastal waters....that is some bad sheeit!!!
    Southern Gentleman

Last edited by Big Muddy; 09-02-2015 at 02:36 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Probably 10 years ago I got my foot swollen to about 3x the size and had to do the same. Started me with IV antibiotics and it went down, but I was worried I might be without a foot. It all started at BBPs where I had a concrete wrestling match and managed to scrape the top layer of skin off my foot. It wasn't really bad just a little road burn on the top of my foot. That was on a Saturday. On Sunday I had a softball game but my foot would bleed when running and stick to my sock.....so in my wisdom I took the sock off and played softball all day. The sweat and dirt caused the worst infection I've ever had.

Well dang! Sounds nasty. I'll admit, it took me a while to finish reading your post as the mental image kinda grossed me out. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get past this point.

I was only wearing a pair of old tennis shoes and socks.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well dang! Sounds nasty. I'll admit, it took me a while to finish reading your post as the mental image kinda grossed me out. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get past this point.
    Thump, the central phrase here shoulda been, "My DUMBAZZ SELF was only wearing old tennis shoes and socks"....yeah, I know, and I guarantee you that I'll be more safety conscious, next time!!!....we ALL do dumb sheeit!!!
    Southern Gentleman

Ha ha ha! I think you missed my point. I HOPE you were wearing pants of some sort! (shorts maybe?)

^^^^^^^ Ha, ha!
    Classic thumper!!!

glad you are better, those bugs are nasty, you are getting off easy.

Damn brother! I would have not thought anything of it either. Glad you posted this maybe it will make us all a little more careful....
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Ha ha ha! I think you missed my point. I HOPE you were wearing pants of some sort! (shorts maybe?)
    Hahaha!!!...Day'um it, Thump, that one went, "ZING", right over my noggin....yep, I was wearing shorts....otherwise, the catfish mighta took a nibble of my big ole nightcrawler.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    ^^^^^^^ Ha, ha!
    Classic thumper!!!

glad you are better, those bugs are nasty, you are getting off easy.

I hope so, too, Nandy....I'll know more in the morning....thanks.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Damn brother! I would have not thought anything of it either. Glad you posted this maybe it will make us all a little more careful....
    I hope so, Cap....today, while elevating my leg all day, I've been reading up on some of these infectious bugs that we are exposed to, in our everyday climates....it'll scare the sheeit out of you....definitely not like in the old days, when you could cure just about anything with tobacco spit, coal oil, iodine, merthiolate, alcohol, or turpentine.

I'm usually very particular about germs, and go thru prolly a gallon of Germ-x every three months....I don't even shake hands, during the flu season....I just do the fist-bump, and all my friends know why.

I really stepped on my pecker, this time....I KNEW I should have, immediately, taken a hot soapy shower, after work that afternoon, but decided to sit on the porch and cool off for a couple of hours, with an adult beverage....BAD mistake!!!....the invasion had begun.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 09-02-2015 at 07:18 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I went through that MRSA stuff with my older boy Matt when he was 8 or 9. He spent a week getting IV antibiotics in the hospital. It's bad juju when they start saying stuff like if this antibiotic doesn't work there's only one left we can try. Then, just when you think it's going to be okay okay they start talking about needing to check his femur and they'll need to scrape it out if that infection spread into the bone. I don't want to ever have another week like that. Ever.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Oh yeah, all from a bug bite that got infected by rolling around in the grass...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

You are oh so correct, CD!!!....bad sheeit all around us, now....the bad bugs are getting tolerant to even our most powerful antibiotics....sort of similiar to Roundup herbicide....there are lots of grass and weeds, which it won't even affect, any longer.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    definitely not like in the old days, when you could cure just about anything with tobacco spit, coal oil, iodine, merthiolate, alcohol, or turpentine.
    Coffee grinds!!!

Lesson learned, don't go to the Redneck Riviera sober ...... there are many reason to drink ?

Hey Muddy, I know this is a long shot, but you know a Shelby Williams, he used to hang around that lake, and he just married a girl from around there, that I think family is in the timber business ?

its from all those GMOs!

bKB

its from all those GMOs!bKB

I'm glad you're ok and DAMN I'd never think that could happen with the scratch on your ankle that's in that pic!

Arty, that's exactly what I told Doc....he said even a small scratch that just breaks the skin, and left untreated can bring on the bad bugs....my scratches did bleed a little, but I just shrugged it off, as minor stuff....cut myself shaving lots worse....also, that pic is almost 48 hours after the incident, so it's dried up a bit....read some of the other above posts about their minor scraps.
    Southern Gentleman

Makes you wonder how human beans ever made it to now don't it?

bkb

Makes you wonder how human beans ever made it to now don't it? bkb
    GMO's

I like beans!

In the 'more information than you'd ever want to know' category: I've been reading a bunch lately about my region's history in the ealry 1800s. Been looking mainly at journals and such. One thing that'll strike you immediately is that what historians write about an era is largely bullshit. And secondly how many fucking people died in those times every single year. The number of times I've read about a flood wiping out every home in a river bottom or cholera or typhus killing every child in a family is just heartbreaking. Those really were some strong souls to hang in there like they did.

BKB

But did THOSE lives matter?
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Makes you wonder how human beans ever made it to now don't it?

bkb
    image.jpg