Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'd like some opinions, please...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    No, that's not true either. Sorry.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income. It is a program administered by, but NOT funded by, the Social Security Administration. It is for two classes of people only..........A) those over 65 who never paid into Social Security (or didn't pay enough to be permanently insured), and B) those under 65 who never paid in either, but who can prove disability. This amount is $733 for every recipient, plus whatever your state MAY add to that.

Social Security Disability is for people either currently or permanently insured by Social Security and who can prove disability. When those people reach FRA, they cease to receive SS Disability payments and receive SS Retirement payments, at the same amount.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Heck, I don't know ... I was on SSD and it was automatically changed to "regular" Social Security when I turned 62. I guess I don't really pay much attention to it. I had always planned to retire and start drawing Social Security at 62 anyway.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Okay, that totally changes everything.

BKB

Herb! You magnificent bastard! I read your book!

I think Mike Rowe has done as good a job as can be done in shedding light on this subject. Just the name of his site says it all. We are profoundly disconnected from what skills are needed for this country.

http://profoundlydisconnected.com/
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Okay, that totally changes everything.

BKB
    I SAID it was a picky point, you disagreeable snotbag. Where's my prime rib?

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Herb! You magnificent bastard! I read your book!

I think Mike Rowe has done as good a job as can be done in shedding light on this subject. Just the name of his site says it all. We are profoundly disconnected from what skills are needed for this country.

http://profoundlydisconnected.com/
    Very cool website, that I had no idea existed. Thanks Lenster!!!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post

I don't know of a program that will give aid and assistance to an able bodied 24 year old. If there is one, let me know what it is.
    All it takes is creativity:

11933491_1137893819557379_2169966947250177421_n.jpg

this is just *one* of the more complicated scenarios...

I have a friend who just retired from a "Human Services" position.. You figure out a way to give money - they will figure out a way to take it.

I've been accused of having "no compassion"... mostly because I'm a "root hog or die" kind of guy.. You must forgive me for that - I grew up in an abusive home. There it was, "If you don't work - you don't eat." ... and I didn't have the option anyway - back then, you just "worked".
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

We had training because on this company I work has everything from boomers to millennials and we have to learn how understand and manage all of those generations. I have come to thing that as general the millennials generation should be spelled me-lennials..

Read
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Years ago, I had an employee in Los Angeles who was one of the best up and coming mechanics I'd ever had. Just a great, all-around employee. He walked into my office one day to submit his resignation and I was a bit shocked, because I thought he was pretty happy with us. He explained he loved his job and the people he worked with, then went on to thank me for the opportunities I'd given him. When I asked why he was quitting if he was so happy there, he explained his wife was pregnant and they really couldn't afford to have the baby if he was working! When they added up all the benefits, including full medical, etc. ... he could make more if he were unemployed! I offered a raise (a very NICE raise considering the fact he was fresh out of trade school and basically still in training), but I couldn't even come close to matching the benefits he AND his wife would receive if neither of them were working.

I was a fairly young manager at the time and never knew something like that was possible, but I received a quick (and shocking) education that day.

You had to be paying some piss poor wages for that to be true. Its a myth that you can 'make money' on welfare. You may make a temporary windfall here and there, but most of the slackers that we all hate that use the system aren't in it all that long and seldom drive the vehicles we hear about and don't buy steaks every day.

And this from a guy that has not yet gotten over feeling guilty for collecting unemployment. I just got off the big old titty in July. No way anybody could go to Tahiti on unemployment though. Otherwise My email would be FU.net.

BKB

P-hole, to be totally honest, I really don't understand how that worked, but he laid it all out in front of me at the time. I couldn't pay him a whole lot as he was a young apprentice fresh out of trade school. I DO know, we didn't pay THAT low, but there are limits as to what a newbie can be paid, especially if I was training him! I do remember her due date was close and his company insurance would not have kicked in for 90-days. I have no clue how they were getting by while he was in school.

I can't really argue the point, because I just don't know the ins & outs of the "benefit game". I will say that I STILL get one hell of an education from the stories Lynn comes home with that she hears from her housekeepers, houseboys and maintenance people at the hotel. She's very close to them and is a trusted friend. I never had a frigging clue what was available out there and trust me, they KNOW the system and how to work it. Other than that ... I don't know squat about it.

I also remember the first time (actually the ONLY time) I ever filed for unemployment. I put it off as long as possible because I was too "embarrassed" to go in and apply. (true story) I was floored when I finally walked in and half the people in line were wearing business suits!

I felt entitled to it. That's how I overcame my guilt at taking it.

Imagine that.

I'm a good Democrat.

BKB

Oh, TODAY I'd have no problem or hesitation at all. The time I'm referring to was back in the very early 80's and the whole concept was new to me. I felt like I was applying for food stamps or sumpin'.

You had to be paying some piss poor wages for that to be true. Its a myth that you can 'make money' on welfare. You may make a temporary windfall here and there, but most of the slackers that we all hate that use the system aren't in it all that long and seldom drive the vehicles we hear about and don't buy steaks every day.

And this from a guy that has not yet gotten over feeling guilty for collecting unemployment. I just got off the big old titty in July. No way anybody could go to Tahiti on unemployment though. Otherwise My email would be FU.net.

BKB
    Some of your perceptions are good, and some are quite skewed. You need to research a bit more. Google the company in Seattle that decided to make $70K the minimum salary........and how disgruntled the workers were. And Google some of the McDonald's and Walmart employees who got raise to $15 an hour and how many wanted to refuse it because it would reduce their 'benefits'.

Yeah we spend too much on wars, so don't go there. I agree with you on that. But we've developed a system that is hurting those it is intended to help, REGARDLESS of how much they get............and the government has no business in the individual assistance business. Government is for the common good. But we're in it..........and it's sad how much we give out, and to whom, and for how long, and the qualifications. We've developed a class that can't get off of it, and that's not debatable. That is NOT a good system!

Barry, DW will disagree with you so much. She is a front end manager for the fresh market which is a yupppie grocery store for rich people. they for long time would not take food stamps but in recent years they started and she can tell you she has regulars there, with food stamps, driving SUV's, buying filet mignon and other expensive food items. No sir, there IS money making in welfare, we have seen it with our own eyes in her family too. I cant explain it to you as I am not immersed on it but again, I seen people getting paid to go to school and all kind of other expenses and it is not just for a few months either.

I felt entitled to it. That's how I overcame my guilt at taking it.

Imagine that.

I'm a good Democrat.

BKB
    I took it with a smile on my face when I got laid off. I still wound up on the short end of what I've paid in during my career. Some lame ass checks from the guvmint.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Ha ha Nandy! That is kinda a yuppie store. We go on Tuesdays to load up on hamburger (ground chuck). It's so lean, we usually have to add a bit of oil, depending on what we're cooking. We usually buy 10-15 lbs at a time and the butcher wraps them separately in 1 lb. packages (plastic/freezer paper) so we freeze them when we get home and don't even have to break the packages down. We just went this Tuesday and loaded up (2.99/lb) plus we had a coupon (on the back of our last receipt) for an additional 20% off!

They have this special EVERY Tuesday:

http://www.thefreshmarket.com/tuesday-specials1

She loads up when they have the ribeye on special plus her employee discount. I love ribeye steaks!!!!

Yep, we like that store, but just buy specialty items. I love the (bulk) okra chips they sell there.

Administrator
    You ain't wrong, Herb. There are corporate courses they offer executives to teach them how to deal with millennials' sense of entitlement. One fellow who worked for me came in three times asking for a raise and a promotion, a month before promotions were coming out. I told him that if he asked one more time, he'd better have his resume up to date.

I think they'll catch on. Business is business, and there's no room for special treatment. Millennials or not, there's always another person waiting to do the job. The sooner they catch on to that, the easier time they'll have.
    --Foo

BKB
    Still say it's a myth?