Thread: Trip report

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

Trip report

While back at the farm last weekend preparing for the next day's auction I decided to sneak behind the folks' place to see if the honkers were still sitting in the slough the way they had been the weekend before when we were too busy to stop working for a quick hunt. Long story short two shots with the trusty 870 yielded a honker and a swan.

The real story is the REALLY bad idea I had to take a shortcut from one side of the cattail ringed slough to the other in order to avoid the 3/4 mile walk back to the vehicle. There was more than once I was thinking I would have a heart attack in those cattails and no one would be able to find me until they followed the coyote tracks to my carcass when there was finally snow on the ground. Actually had to call my son and have him bust a path to me so I could get out of that hell hole. Rest assured I will not be walking that particular bunch of cattails during the upcoming deer season.

Sorry if this is too hunting related for this site.

Ummm, this is Campfire Chat ... shouldn't this be in the Hunting Forum?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    lol.. Been there Bwana.. Buddy and I followed the dogs into the biggest (literally) patch of multi-flora rose, in three counties, coon hunting one night. At one point, I told him, "If I knew you wouldn't laugh at me I'd just sit down and bawl."

He said, "If I knew you'd tell them where my body was, I'd just sit here and die."
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Ha ha ha! Man, that brings back a memory Hidey-Ho! I was trying to run a deer out of a thicket I saw him go into. I'd already filled my tag and was "dogging" for my buddy hoping I could get him a shot. I ended up in a huge patch of those briers that have long green runners. They don't dry out like blackberry bushes, etc. ... but stay green and flexible (no clue what they're called, but they're deadly). I always hated spending 10 minutes fighting to get 5 feet, then a brier would catch my hat, snatch it off my head and flip it 10 feet behind me! Once I retrieved my hat, I'd start all over again. I remember getting in the middle of a huge patch once and I just couldn't go any farther. When my buddy finally hollered for me I asked him to call for a helicopter to drop me a line and lift me out'ta there! I don't know what those things are called, but they're the most miserable plant on the face of the earth IMHO.

Thumper, when Bwana said cattails he wasn't talking about pussy cats.

BKB

I know, it just kinda morphed into sumpin' else. At least the experience was semi-related.

Thumper, When we are rabbit hunting, we call them wait-a-minute briers. Seems like there is always someone behind you trying to push you along when you get into them.

Bwana are them the same swans we have here? Tundra swans with about a 7 foot wingspan?
    If so what the hell do y'all do with them? Cooking them results in a smell that stays in the house for like... ever, and they taste like crap!
    Fun to hunt but not worth a crap for anything else unless you are on Nekkid and afraid.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

HA, down here, we call 'em "sheeit-azz" briars....matter of fact, ANY kinda briar, bush, thorn, or vine, we just call 'em all sheeit-azzes.
    Southern Gentleman

Yeah Muddy, I can agree to a point, but most of the "berry" type briers are a bit brown and brittle in the winter. They're a bitch to get through, but the stems break off if pushed to that point and the best thing is, the "thorns" themselves break off. Your clothes (AND skin) end up full of little broken off thorns, but this dang brier from Hell I'm talking about stays green and VERY flexible. The worst part is the thorns don't break off ... it's like they're made of steel! Those dang things just rip and tear your clothes AND your skin. I wish I knew what they're called, but I haven't a clue.

Here pussy pussy pussy......

BKB

Do all Okies get cocky when they retire?

I was born this way. Can't help it.

Pussy.

BKB

I've had a few of those experiences... once I was about ready to just lay down and die in the briar patch, seemed much easier and far less frustrating... Once i sat down, I looked thru the bottom of the patch and there were multiple travel lanes created by animals much smarter than me. I low crawled out thru the tunnels with not much problem after that.

But Jimmy's still a pussy
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I like pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Ha ha ha! Man, that brings back a memory Hidey-Ho! I was trying to run a deer out of a thicket I saw him go into. I'd already filled my tag and was "dogging" for my buddy hoping I could get him a shot. I ended up in a huge patch of those briers that have long green runners. They don't dry out like blackberry bushes, etc. ... but stay green and flexible (no clue what they're called, but they're deadly). I always hated spending 10 minutes fighting to get 5 feet, then a brier would catch my hat, snatch it off my head and flip it 10 feet behind me! Once I retrieved my hat, I'd start all over again. I remember getting in the middle of a huge patch once and I just couldn't go any farther. When my buddy finally hollered for me I asked him to call for a helicopter to drop me a line and lift me out'ta there! I don't know what those things are called, but they're the most miserable plant on the face of the earth IMHO.
    That my friend is - multi-flora rose... and I was (we were) dead center in the middle of a 20 acre patch.. You come out of there you look like you've been sacking cats. Interesting part is it was native to Japan and the *government* brought it here in 1866 (actually some was brought here privately as early as the late 1700s for ornamentals). It was first planted to make a "living fence". Of course (as so often happens - It's not nice to fool (with) Mother Nature) it is highly invasive.. it got so bad here in the 60s and 70s you literally could not walk through many timbers without a set of shears to cut a path... And until about 1970 you could still buy plants from the DNR.

Enter (once again) the government - In the 80s they introduced some mites and diseases they had isolated through study. Not sure which - but one of the two went through ours like shit through a tin horn.. "Killed" virtually *all* of it.. It still comes back - but as soon as it get anything more than a few scattered plants - bug or sick wipes it out again..

Now - let me tell you about Tatarian Honeysuckle, another gift from the government.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Oh, ok, that's what you were talking about in your first post then. I guess the name multi-flora rose kinda threw me and I picture some sort of wild rose (which I've dealt with also). Does the multi-flora rose ever bloom? If so, I've never witnessed that stage, but now I can TOTALLY relate, I just never knew what it was called. That has to be the nastiest stuff I've ever dealt with. The worst part about the thorns, they're angled down so that they grab on like fish hooks ... and they DO NOT break off ... they just rip and tear!

In the first house I bought here in '83, we had an awesome view of a horse pasture right across the dirt road that ran in front of my house. Saw deer, prairie chickens, all sorts of wildlife in that pasture. There was a multiflora rose growing on the fence behind my mailbox across the road that I fought for ten years with my weedeater. It like unto have kilt me.
    I hate that shit.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Oh, ok, that's what you were talking about in your first post then. I guess the name multi-flora rose kinda threw me and I picture some sort of wild rose (which I've dealt with also). Does the multi-flora rose ever bloom? If so, I've never witnessed that stage, but now I can TOTALLY relate, I just never knew what it was called. That has to be the nastiest stuff I've ever dealt with. The worst part about the thorns, they're angled down so that they grab on like fish hooks ... and they DO NOT break off ... they just rip and tear!
    Yep - it's absolutely beautiful.. thousands (and millions) of little white blossoms.. but as you, I and Barry have discovered.. it's pretty hard to appreciate.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Cappy,
    We have actually had good luck eating the ones we've taken over the years. The missus has a recipe that makes them taste similar to roast beef.

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    Yep - it's absolutely beautiful.. thousands (and millions) of little white blossoms.. but as you, I and Barry have discovered.. it's pretty hard to appreciate.
    especially when you're sitting in a gentle rain skipping down the trail.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

^^^^eat my shorts^^^^

Hehehehe, I keep giving you shit about it but doing that has brought back a few memories for me as well. I'm trying to figure out why I stopped hunting. I have tons and tons of great memories like that. Maybe it's easy access to land. Some of it is the people I hunted with, most of 'em don't anymore or done died.

For me it came down to economics. About the only real options these days around here is to get a lease. For what I used to spend on hunting, I can go fshng in Canada once a year and take several other mini trips in between for about half of what it cost me to hunt. That, and getting my fuckng guns stolen by a fucking asshole just took the wind out of my sails for hunting.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    For me it came down to economics. About the only real options these days around here is to get a lease. For what I used to spend on hunting, I can go fshng in Canada once a year and take several other mini trips in between for about half of what it cost me to hunt. That, and getting my fuckng guns stolen by a fucking asshole just took the wind out of my sails for hunting. BKB
    Now Barry, he probably was not a fucking asshole, he was probably just misunderstood and the rules didn't apply to him. It was the bad police that were trying to catch him that made him break into your house and steal your shit.
    They probably got fired for catching him later.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Now Barry, he probably was not a fucking asshole, he was probably just misunderstood and the rules didn't apply to him. It was the bad police that were trying to catch him that made him break into your house and steal your shit.
    They probably got fired for catching him later.

You get it today Larke! LoL!

You sir, can kiss my rusty red liberal ass.

BKB

Several years ago I shot a doe and the darn thing went to die in a middle of a huge briar patch. I got my kevlar chaps on but my upper body and hands got torn up. That doe did not had enough meat on her to justify me doing that but in the other hand I have a hard time if I dont recover game. Cappy, that was that lease in mount croghan that you got me hook with that guy, what was his name, mike? Whatever happened to that property and the one next to the SC farm?

A farmer friend of mine bought both places and took every tree off the land. Both places are in row crops now.

DANG!!!!!!! There was real nice deer on that last one, they will just go nocturnal... Someday I will get me another lease in the low country. Preferably with hawgs in it!!! lol!!!!