Ha ha ha! Boy did I get an "education" shortly after moving to Mississippi! I was working (after school, Saturdays and summers) at a Cadillac/Buick/Pontiac/GMC (and later took on Opal) dealership. I was first approached by a fellow employee to join the KKK. Of course I'd HEARD of the KKK, but never thought I'd actually work/live in the midst of actual members! I thought it was just one of those obscure thingies you'd see mentioned on the news from time to time. Oh well.

Not long after that, I was asked by another employee if I wanted to join the John Birch Society. WTF? I was clueless and "thought" it was some sort of "bird watching club"! (I assume I was confusing it with the Audubon Society) When I asked for details, I received a real education! I began to wonder what sort of new world I'd moved to! Don't get me wrong, I LOVED Mississippi ... the wimmins were HOT and I probably had more fun there than anywhere I've ever lived.

BUT ... the KKK?? John Birch Society?? Heck, this was 1967 and I was only 15 years old!!!