Thread: 'Yotes, late this afternoon....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

'Yotes, late this afternoon....

My new Primos remote caller(it's made by FoxPro) paid for itself, late this afternoon....these yotes just can't resist that rabbit distress call....a female and huge male yote came in to the caller, right before dark-thirty, looking for an easy evening meal.

The small female was reddish-colored, almost looked like a red fox....beside her was the beautiful furry male, with a jet-black tip on his tail, and as big as any german shepherd I've ever seen.

They approached within 75 yards of the caller, but stayed somewhat hidden in some saplings beside a turnrow, and didn't offer a good kill shot....suddenly, they looked at each other, as if they had a plan....sure enough, the female hunkered down in the saplings, while the male trotted off at 90 degrees....he skirted the entire field, which I was over-looking, and never broke stride....he was circling, and was going to come in to the call from the opposite direction of the female.

When he got straight across the field from me, he was at his closest range to me at about 200 yards, and broad-side, but never broke stride....he continued his pace, and just as he was about to enter the woodline, he stopped....I ranged him at a little over 350 yards....I seldom take shots over 300 yards, but I knew it would be too dark, by the time he made his turn, and head in for the ambush with the female.

I turned my Burris Predator scope up to 14x, got a good steady rest, and let the Rem. 700 .30-06 do her thing....he went 4 paws up, and never took another step....I assume the female hauled butt outta her hiding spot.

Just as I was headed across the muddy field to the dead yote, my wife called my cell, and informed me of a last minute supper date with kinfolks....it's going to be in the upper 30's tonite, so I'll retrieve the yote in the morning, and post some pics.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 11-13-2015 at 11:35 PM.
    Southern Gentleman