We're finally getting some birds back in Oklahoma, those little brown ones that make you poop your pants walking in to a deer stand at five AM. There's a lot of theories out there about why we lost most of our quail, and to be honest I don't know if any of them hold water. Kansas didn't seem to lose theirs. But the numbers in Oklahoma made hunting very tough. Most people that I know that had dogs don't have them any more. And most upland bird hunters went to western Oklahoma or Kansas and hunted pheasants or hunted a lot of pen raised birds on private lands. Did it myself a few times with Hombre and we had some fun and Hombre worked his dog. But its more like a shoot than a hunt even though those trips were fun.

Oklahoma adopted a Kansas-like walk in hunting and fishing area plan and they're already enrolling a lot of land. Kansas has over a million acres available to hunters and fishermen that otherwise wouldn't be available to the public. Maybe some day we can too.

Anyway, I might have to limber up the old legs and do some walking this fall to see if I can find a covey or two.

Kelly Bostian: Quail season 2015 holds all kinds of promise

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...e34c90f02.html

(Sent from Tulsa World)