Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My view opening morning.....

Where does that ladder go?
    Why y'all grow your trees sideways?
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I'm in a different deer stand this afternoon....kids are here so I let them hunt the good spots....I had to settle for this one, with the electricity...'course, hunting and watching ballgames, at the same time, isnt all that bad, either.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 11-21-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

LSU looks like a high school team....Fournette is a "has-been-flash-in-the pan"....Mich St. giving sub-Urban all he wants.
    Southern Gentleman

All Hail Muddy!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I have to go through my Direct TV Ap to watch from the stand. And depending on which stand I'm in sometimes I don't have enough signal for video and all I can get is audio.
    Watching my favorite movie now.

image-1364980012.jpg

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I'll be your Huckleberry...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I'll be a Daisy if you do.

Cap, even with my elec. hookup to one of my irrig. wells, I can only receive local channels....fortunately, today's games are on my local ABC and CBS stations....and, I got a small antennae glued on the roof.

Hard to tell on iphone, is that Tombstone you watching???
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 11-21-2015 at 06:24 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Beautiful day up this way. Between raking leaves and hunting I spent almost the entire day outside. My kind of day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I find it so hard to stay up while in the stand, it is so quiet, relaxing and such... I do take my phone which hooks to my ear muffs and listen to music or watch a movie/show while constantly scanning the woods. Some stands I do have signal so I can also browse the net if I wanted to.

Cap, get the genie-go, I have that one. Will save the shows you want to up to 5 devices and you can watch even if there is no signal. It costs $100 for the box but no monthly fee. I use it quite often.

Again, you dufes are pussies. I either stalked (rarely) or set up a ground blind by sitting on a log with brush piled up around me. I'd never EVER consider watching a ball game or listening to tunes. I'd remain totally silent and concentrate on any direction I so much as heard a twig snap or a leaf crunch. TV's, radios, heaters, coffee makers, stoves, office chairs, condos with satellite dishes ... sheeesh, did I already say youse guys are pussies?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Takes one to know one! lol!

Youse dufes are pussy HUNTERS ... I'm a PUSSY hunter. Big difference!

Yeah, but I do get to bag some, Santa..... lol!

You bag 'em, I sack 'em!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    All the shit you guys do in a tree stand amazes me, especially since it isn't even cold where you hunt at. Why do you need heaters in tree stands unless you want to hunt in shorts and a t-shirt?
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

They gotta have a way to heat up their scones at tea time, Deppity.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    All the shit you guys do in a tree stand amazes me, especially since it isn't even cold where you hunt at. Why do you need heaters in tree stands unless you want to hunt in shorts and a t-shirt?
    Haha....well, Depitty, I made my mind up as I got older, that if I was gonna deer hunt, then I was gonna stay as comfortable as possible....if I'm comfortable, I can stay in the woods longer....h3ll, I can live in most of my deer stands, if I was so inclined....believe me, I have paid my hunting dues....in my younger days, there's been many a morning that I have frozen my rebel azz off, balanced in the crotch of an oak tree.

Also, when teaching young kids to hunt, they will stay longer in the woods with you, if they are comfortable....they can learn to be cold and miserable, when they get older.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 11-24-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

I remember deer hunting at age 12 with a skim of snow on the ground. My stand was the chute of an old hay baler, my gun was an old 16 ga single shot with 00 buck (i actually killed a few deer with that old gun - it kicked like a mule), and The thing I remember most was I was wearing Chuck Taylors, not exactly the warmest footwear. My feet didn't have feeling for a couple days it seems like.

BkB

Haha, Postie, since you mentioned that hay baler....I've got a really nice 12 pointer on my wall, that I chased for 2 weeks, back in '92....he was just too smart for me....if I set up on one end of the long soybean field, then he'd come out on the other end, right at dark....finally, I parked an old grain cart, right smack dab in the middle of the field....it took him a few days to get used to it, being out there.

After a few days, I hopped inside the grain cart about 2 pm....instead of coming out on either end of the soybean field, he was gonna be smart, and safely graze near the grain cart....one shot, and he fell within 50 steps of that old dilapidated grain cart.
    Southern Gentleman

I respect my northern hunter brothers and sisters but I fail to see the reason to not hunt in comfort if the location and hunt style allows for it. Yeah, in most open spaces that some of you hunt a shooting from a hunting box is not the most appropriate technique. Here in the SE with all of our cover and short shots a box close to an established deer corridor is great and does allow to have some comforts so why not? I get cold when weather under 68 deg F, so you bet I will bundle as much as it is practical and in days like tomorrow in lows 30's high 20's I am taking a heater to the box (most already have one ready for use most of the time, I love me this private property....).

I respect them too. But cold is cold. They may be more use to it than we are but when it gets in the 20's it's cold.
    Another thing is they get like one tag, and hunt three or four times. If they hunted 5 1/2 to 6 months, three or four times a week and could kill a zillion deer they would probably set up some more comforts in Their stands.
    I hunted for 30 years using screw in steps and hang on stands, in fact there were many days I would get in a loc-on stand before daylight and not touch the ground again till after dark. But as soon as I started building tower stand, enclosing them and putting comfortable chairs in them I knew my days sitting in a "ass-pincher" stand was limited.
    I hunt long, hard and MANY days and hours. There is absolutely nothing wrong in making it as comfortable as possible.