Thread: Hey Hidehunter

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

Hey Hidehunter

Just wondering, what time of year do you start calling coons?

With all that has been going on in my world, I just remembered that I bought an e-caller last spring and was going to give calling coons a try hoping I can grow up to be just like you. Being busy sucks.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    It can be done year-round - depending on your state laws. Fur should be good and prime where you are.. We need a furbearers license here. Better try it.. it's waaaay fun.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Thanks and will do. Was just wondering if there is one time of the year better than another?

Record a corn feeder sound on your phone and use that!!!!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    As far as "time of year" - don't think it makes a lot of difference. Temps get into the single digits - definitely slows them down. I have talked a lot to one of the first guys who discovered this back in the 80s. He is a self-proclaimed "numbers" guy. He said he kept track of every day he hunted with all available info from date, wind speed, direction, temps, barometric pressure, moon phase. He did this for four seasons and he was killing 100-200 coon a year. He had a biologist friend with the DNR feed all the info into the computer.. He just knew he was going to come out of it with *the best time to call 'coons*.

Results: As he puts it... "not one &%*$ing bit of pertinent information". Go when you can..

I will tell you this.. "something" makes a difference - because one day *everything* wants to play and some - nothing.

Buddy and I went this morning. Made eight sets - saw eight coon and killed five.. Killed four out of one tree..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.