Thread: Squirrel trip report....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Squirrel trip report....

Night before last, a buddy in north MS called, and said he had told a friend of his about Sandy....the guy has a squirrel dog, too, and wanted to set up sort of a "contest"....no money involved, just bragging rights.

Sandy is really working good, so we made the 2 hour drive, and met up at 7 am at a neutral public hunting site....my buddy was there, as well....the guy had a beautiful Mountain Cur female.
    The first question I asked the guy was, if his dog hunted well with other dogs....and he replied that his dog would hunt under ANY conditons....I explained that I just didn't want any dog-fighting because Sandy is a no-nonsense dog....he understood, but had just a bit of come-upance about himself.

Long story-short....Sandy treed 4 squirrels in the first 45 minutes of the hunt, and we killed all four....his dog never barked, once....finally, in the last hour of the hunt, his dog barked up and chased a squirrel that we saw run on the ground, right in front of her....kinda hard for a dog NOT to get one like that....he shot the squirrel out and was ecstatic.

Final tally, Sandy - 7----- other dog - 1

The guy was pretty nice about it, however, and actually called Sandy a "squirrel hunting machine", and as we were leaving, he asked about a puppy off her....I could see his disappointment, when I said, sorry, but she's spayed.

All in all, it was a very nice 3 hour hunt experience, and well worth the long drive....I gave Sandy my ham sammich, and watched her sleep on the front seat, all the way home.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 12-03-2015 at 10:25 AM.
    Southern Gentleman