Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel trip report....

Squirrel trip report....

Night before last, a buddy in north MS called, and said he had told a friend of his about Sandy....the guy has a squirrel dog, too, and wanted to set up sort of a "contest"....no money involved, just bragging rights.

Sandy is really working good, so we made the 2 hour drive, and met up at 7 am at a neutral public hunting site....my buddy was there, as well....the guy had a beautiful Mountain Cur female.
    The first question I asked the guy was, if his dog hunted well with other dogs....and he replied that his dog would hunt under ANY conditons....I explained that I just didn't want any dog-fighting because Sandy is a no-nonsense dog....he understood, but had just a bit of come-upance about himself.

Long story-short....Sandy treed 4 squirrels in the first 45 minutes of the hunt, and we killed all four....his dog never barked, once....finally, in the last hour of the hunt, his dog barked up and chased a squirrel that we saw run on the ground, right in front of her....kinda hard for a dog NOT to get one like that....he shot the squirrel out and was ecstatic.

Final tally, Sandy - 7----- other dog - 1

The guy was pretty nice about it, however, and actually called Sandy a "squirrel hunting machine", and as we were leaving, he asked about a puppy off her....I could see his disappointment, when I said, sorry, but she's spayed.

All in all, it was a very nice 3 hour hunt experience, and well worth the long drive....I gave Sandy my ham sammich, and watched her sleep on the front seat, all the way home.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 12-03-2015 at 10:25 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Do you have any buttons left on your shirt?

Nice work Sandy!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    There is nothing better than hunting behind a good dog. I don't care what it is you're hunting.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Haha, yep Thump, popped 'em ALL off....actually, I think she's gotten even better, since I had her spayed....her endurance is phenomenal....my GPS showed that us guys walked nearly 4 miles, so there's no telling how many she ran.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    There is nothing better than hunting behind a good dog. I don't care what it is you're hunting.
    Well stated, Chick!!!
    Southern Gentleman

That sounds like a great way to spend a day! Congrats to you and Sandy!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Ed, can squirrels be deformed? Or.....is it normal?....at the farm last week, squirrels were everywhere. But one fox squirrel was weird. He stayed on the ground, moved way slower, and was huge.....deformed in size, even. Like he had air puffed under his skin. If that was all meat, he'd have had to weigh 15 lbs...

??

And congratulations
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

That's cool Eddie!

Is it ok if I feel like a get a little piece of that victory too?

GH dogs kicked some serious butt!

I've been told I'm overly competitive but bunk that noise, just a sore loser
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

You got it, Len....help yourself to a butt-load of GH credit.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Ed, can squirrels be deformed? Or.....is it normal?....at the farm last week, squirrels were everywhere. But one fox squirrel was weird. He stayed on the ground, moved way slower, and was huge.....deformed in size, even. Like he had air puffed under his skin. If that was all meat, he'd have had to weigh 15 lbs...

??

And congratulations
    Thanks, Bucky....it sounds like that squirrel may have an infection from either an injury or possibly a non-lethal gun shot....or, it could be a severe infestation of bot larvae....also, males squirrels are notorious for biting off the gonads and castrating other males....so, he mighta got an infection from that....if he's gotten that big, that's prolly the reason he just slowly walks around on the ground, and doesn't scurry up and down in the treetops....whatever it is, he prolly won't live much longer....a slow squirrel isn't gonna live long, with owls and hawks circling.
    Southern Gentleman

Either that or a squirrel with a thyroid problem.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    She ain't fat. Just big-boned.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    She ain't fat. Just big-boned.
    Yep, Chick, sounds like some of my blind dates in college.
    Southern Gentleman

Bucky, that squirrel mighta just been building up one of those Thump-sized farts.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    That sounds like a great way to spend a day! Congrats to you and Sandy!
    Cap, one of these days, you WILL meet Sandy....hopefully, either you're here, or we're there!!!
    Southern Gentleman

If you bring Sandy here. Be sure to bring a sedative for her. I can walk her in any one of a bunch of corn feeders and 20 squirrels will bust like a covey of quail. She would go NUTS!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Congrats to you BM. It is pretty hard not to pop a button when them pups show off their skills.

congrats Sandy and Muddy! You said a sandwich, how about a steak!!! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Either that or a squirrel with a thyroid problem.
    Probably too much MacDonald's....

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Embarrassing comment....I've done a lot of squirrel hunting, years ago. But I admit I've never done it with a dog. I can only imagine....

Ed, is she good because you trained her? Or just genetics? Both?

And I'm headed back to farm next week....I'll try and take a zoom camera and see if I can get a shot of fatty.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    congrats Sandy and Muddy! You said a sandwich, how about a steak!!! lol!
    Nandy, the night before a hunt, I put her on 1/2 rations....I want her to be a little hungry, when she hits the woods....but believe me, she got well-fed, after we got home!!!
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Atta Boy Girl!
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Bucky, she had great genetics out of a Kentucky bloodline, and some very basic training, when I got her at 18 months old from a friend of mine....I guess I did the rest of the training because I've had her in the woods, even if for only very short hunts, prolly 300 days a year, since I've had her.
    She's prolly taught me, as much as I've taught her....I'll prolly never be fortunate enough to own another dog of her intelligence, in this lifetime.
    Southern Gentleman

Someday I'd love to see such a thing in action.

Your devotion shines through the internet.

Bucky, she has one bad habit, which I could break her of doing, with one or two mild bumps of a shock collar....normally, if we are not hunting with another dog, she will bring the dead squirrel to me....however, if another dog is present, when a squirrel is shot down, and I have not had the chance to leash her down, she is going to grab the squirrel, and bite down on it's head until she crushes it's skull....then, she prances around with it to show off, then just drop it, without bringing it to me.

Its not a real bad habit, but it does bug the heck out of me....however, I have never, even once, used a shock collar on her....so, I'll just continue to tolerate that one fault.
    Southern Gentleman

Thinking on my fat squirrel last night. Allow me another dumb question.

Is it possible to have too many squirrels? I mean....many species have a population explosion and get sicknesses and diseases, etc. Snow geese are about to do that. Population exceeds available habitat. Farm has so many concentrated in a small area. Just a wild thought.

Absolutely possible 'Rub - but - squirrels are known to migrate under such circumstances.

Fascinating stuff: http://deltafarmpress.com/massive-sq...-north-america
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

I agree, Hide, and I was a witness to a small migration in 1968, down in Port Gibson, MS. ....sure am glad there was an old timer with me because the guys at the deer camp woulda never believed me, otherwise.
    Southern Gentleman

Never been that fortunate but have a friend who did. I saw a video - absolutely incredible.

Have seen it.....oddly, thousands swimming across the cold White River.