Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dangerous fencing

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    okay... don't really see the relevance of "C".. Sorry, I was just confused. Glad no one was hurt in hitting the gas line that wasn't there..
    Last edited by HideHunter; 01-05-2016 at 10:20 PM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

First off, dont get worked up, im not arguing with you, just trying to pass some info and after reading your last response I know 100 percent you are not understanding me at all..... So here I got, because I care, i will try to explain myself better...

When you are about to dig deeper than 6 inches anywhere in your property, specially one that has not been properly located before, you have to call for utilities location, it is the law. In nc you call 811. Now, they dont stay in the phone with you and tell you dig or no dig. They get your address and they dispatch a group of people to go to that location and locate ALL utilities, not just gas, withing an specified amounts of days. Those people come with equipment that allows them to locate everything from your phone lines to your sewer lines. Once they found those they will either use flags or spray paint to mark where the cables/sewers/gas lines, etc, are. Once they are all done you have the green light. Catch 22, the locate can be up to 2 feet off on each side and still be considered a good locate so you really need to stay away from the sprayed lines/flags.

Would it had helped in your specific situation to keep you from hitting the gas line? It is hard to tell, if the were absolutely no records anyway they would have not dispatched for a gas locate BUT it will absolve you from responsibility if something happens. Right now if that gas company feels like it they could attempt to collect for the call because there is not a record of a call to locate neither a confirmation that all utilities had been located. Will they? Doubtful....

Most people get away with it since all they are doing is planting a tree or so, most utilities are deeper than 12 inches, some stuff like power lines are set way deeper than that. all of our fiber optic cable is burried in excess of 5 feet... so you dont hear much about home owners causing an issue and when they do it only affects them for the most part..... so...

A) We didn't call. (we agree)

B) If we had called, they would have said "There's no gas on that island, dig away". (not really, you have to wait x days until you can dig)

C) Y'all are all right. I'm wrong. I have no idea why I bother posting stuff. (because we all post little things here and there, I just think you are seeing too much into what we wrote...)

D) See C. (saw it and read it again, hope you read my answer to it)

Hope this time I get thru.

Come on Bucky. Eerbody is just pokin' fun - not even all at you.

My response was really to Posty by calling thump a nasty dirty thievin' bastard.

If you care, I'd have dig without calling too. You were after all digging in basically same spot where a fence already was.

Geeeez.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    OK, I dug badly. I dug wrongly. I was just a hired laborer. So shoot me. Beat me. Make me write bad checks.

I didn't do right. But I wasn't stealing cable, so hey.

Geez.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

P.S.

Digging a TRENCH, I'd call. I know what 811 is. I ain't stoopid.

Digging a POST HOLE, no.

So that's just my view. Prolly wrong. But hey. I'm wrong often. Like Geico, it's what I do.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    P.S. Digging a TRENCH, I'd call. I know what 811 is. I ain't stoopid. Digging a POST HOLE, no. So that's just my view. Prolly wrong. But hey. I'm wrong often. Like Geico, it's what I do.
    agree. A trench, a koi pond, a grave, I'd call them.
    But not a post hole

Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    agree. A trench, a koi pond, a grave, I'd call them.
    But not a post hole
    I'd have to agree with that statement. Wrong or right, I just don't think it'd even cross my mind to worry about a fence post.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Me too.. I plant trees around here all the time.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

In fact, it was not just a fence post..........it was a replacement fence post. It went within inches of where the previous (rotten) one was.

Calling just never crossed my mind. I doubt it would anyone's. That's why I was head-scratching over all the posts. I read not long ago where Thump was all upset cause I hadn't posted anything stupid I did, and this was as close as it got, so it was to placate him. That's all.

Bwwaaahhh ahhhaaaaaa.

Wait........"a grave"??? Say what?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Why would you call if you were digging a grave? Isn't that an admission of guilt? I always thought graves of those types were shallow and unmarked.

Arty, SEE? Others notice your subterfuge and innuendo and hidden meanings, too!!!

Fess up.

Very important information.
    http://youtu.be/Khc1ciGtRAI
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Oh.

Yeah........I'd have called to get to bury a cat!

Oh. Yeah........I'd have called to get to bury a cat!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    Why would you call if you were digging a grave? Isn't that an admission of guilt? I always thought graves of those types were shallow and unmarked.
    Shallow indeed. Not deep enough to hit any gas lines!

If after this experience you wont call for just a post hole (given that you just hit a gas line digging a post hole just a little deeper) then I dont now.... lol!!!
    That reminds me back in my younger days shooting bb guns. At times we shoot thru cyclone fences and I have to say I hit the 1/8 thick wire more times than the bb passing thru the 2"x2" hole........
    I have some fencing to do Bucky, let me know when you are headed this way!!! lol!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Very important information.
    http://youtu.be/Khc1ciGtRAI
    That was funny right there^

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    If after this experience you wont call for just a post hole (given that you just hit a gas line digging a post hole just a little deeper) then I dont now.... lol!!!
    That reminds me back in my younger days shooting bb guns. At times we shoot thru cyclone fences and I have to say I hit the 1/8 thick wire more times than the bb passing thru the 2"x2" hole........
    I have some fencing to do Bucky, let me know when you are headed this way!!! lol!
    Well, I ain't calling anyone to dig a new fence post hole in the place one already exists. If that makes me stupid, I'm a Registered Idiot.

I'm a Registered Idiot.
    And I am sure your name is right after mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    And I am sure your name is right after mine...
    Nope, the "C's" are listed before the "Q's".

If that makes me stupid, I'm a Registered Idiot.
    Isn't that the same as a Registered Democrat?

Yes.

And Thump is a Republican for knowing at least two letters of the alphabet, and their relative sequencing.

HEY!!!!