Thread: Sufix Performance Braid vs 832?

Sufix Performance Braid vs 832?

I just bought a spool of Sufix Performance braid to respool one of my spincast reels that I've been running 832 Sufix on for the last four (possibly five?) years. A couple years ago I swapped ends and it was like new but the last few times out, the wind knots are just getting to frequent. Its tough line and I've treated it pretty rough, and its never broke off at the braid, but always on the shock leader, which is what its there for. To be honest I picked this Performance stuff totally up by accident, thought I was buying 832. So its gonna get a whirl! About a four year one probably lol!

Anybody tried this stuff? What's the diff? I'm using the 30lb test/8 lb mono diameter stuff btw.

BKb

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Can't help you with the line - but - I didn't know there was anyone left in the world (over the age of 7) still using spincast reels.. interesting.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I got nothing. I take it from your post that there's more to this fishing line thing now than just Stren v. Trieline.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    Can't help you with the line - but - I didn't know there was anyone left in the world (over the age of 7) still using spincast reels.. interesting.
    Oh smartest of asses I bow to your loquaciousness.

Spinning reels then. The kind you don't cast, you just spin.

BkB

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Question. I ordinarily use the regular old Berkeley line on my spinning reels. Is the braided line better or worse than monofilament about tangling? I can usually achieve a bird nest of biblical proportions at least one a trip.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Yes and no. If you're comparing new mono or flouro to braid, problems with wind knots and loops in the spool are about even. I run one rigged with flouro and one rigged with braid. They're identical rods and reels. Now when the flouro has been on the spool a while and starts getting a memory, that's where the braid outshines it.
    That's just my experience with it anyways. One thing for sure, you get a knot in braid, its gonna make you work at it to get it out.
    BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Oh smartest of asses I bow to your loquaciousness.

Spinning reels then. The kind you don't cast, you just spin.

BkB
    Did I gain "noticer" status?
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Did I gain "noticer" status?
    You get a double merit badge for that, Shit Disturbing and Noticing in one fell swoop!

BkB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    BBP, I don't know the answer to your original question, but I'd sure like to know as I was considering those exact same two lines for a couple of my heavier duty spincast outfits. So if you get a "real" answer at some other site would you please post it here or send me an email as I'd really like to know. My intent for either line is for trophy sized fish that I don't want the line breaking to be a factor in losing them. If things work out how I'm hoping they will, I should be posting some mind blowing huge trout by next fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Skyz View Post
    I was considering those exact same two lines for a couple of my heavier duty spincast outfits. .

uhhhh, never mind. I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Skyz View Post
    BBP, I don't know the answer to your original question, but I'd sure like to know as I was considering those exact same two lines for a couple of my heavier duty spincast outfits. So if you get a "real" answer at some other site would you please post it here or send me an email as I'd really like to know. My intent for either line is for trophy sized fish that I don't want the line breaking to be a factor in losing them. If things work out how I'm hoping they will, I should be posting some mind blowing huge trout by next fall.
    Sky, if that is your requirement. Get powerpro 10lb braid and never look back. It's almost like cheating. Casts like 4lb mono and is like a steel cable. I was dubious for one season and now have it on all six of my active spinning rigs. Even my "ultra-light".

How's THAT for a real answer?!?!?! Whaaaaat?!?!?!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Len, that's better, but these guys are breaking them off with 20 lbs Fireline. These are seriously big trout. State record came from the area and it was over 30 lbs. I've used some PowerPro and I'm not sure it's quite as good as Suffix.

Sky, are you guys using any kind of leader or are you tying direct?

BKB

Direct.

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but if you'll put just an 8 or 10 pound piece of flouro on the end of it you won't give up all that much in breakoffs but you'll wear their asses out faster. If you're talking 30 pound fish, you need to scale that up a ways to maybe 14-16 poind test, but I'd definitely give it a try. It makes a huge difference, at least to me it does.
    That said, I've not fished for trout that big so maybe there's other reasons you don't use a shock leader.
    BKB

I can't understand why anyone would "break off" many fish.. (unless you really are using spincasts which have notoriously poor drags).. Set the drag boys..

I thought flouro had was less stretch than mono shock leaders?

HH, My shimano stradic drags are very smooth and effective thankyouverymuchkindsir.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    I thought flouro had was less stretch than mono shock leaders?

HH, My shimano stradic drags are very smooth and effective thankyouverymuchkindsir.
    So are mine.. and they *aren't* spincasts - thank you very much... duh.. "Captain Obvious".

So are mine.. and they *aren't* spincasts - thank you very much... duh.. "Captain Obvious".
    Well shit... I guess my application for Jr. Noticer just went in the crapper.

Spin cast reel
    image-4013942051.jpg
    Spinning or Open Face reel
    image-3721623536.jpg
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

HideHunter doesn't always fish, but when he does he goes prepared for anything. Here's a photo of his essentials kit that he sent me.

So, it really IS a spin cast!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

lol.. Love it! I keep two spincasts around here - one is a 50 year-old Johnson Century that works like a champ - the other, a 20 something Zebco 33. I start the kids with them, but by the time my grandkids are 10 I start them on spinning tackle.

Now that said, spinning reels were largely unheard of and unaffordable when I was a kid. If you had all the fish I caught on a Bronson Dart (spincast)- well, you'd have a big pile.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 01-06-2016 at 03:38 PM.

I have an old Zeb 33 I'm starting my grandson on.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Man, I grew up using a Johnson Century. Caught hundreds of bluegills with one on a pole rigged with a chartreuse ice fishing hook and a slip bobber.

My dad and I gave my grandfather a Johnson Century for his birthday back when I was sumpin' like 9 or 10 years old. After he passed away (in 1964), my grandmother gave it back to me. I sent it to Cappy a while back to clean it up and try to catch sumpin' with it.

I still have pics of it.

johnsonreel1.JPG

Dufus. If you wanted someone to catch fish with it you should sent it up here.

He says it's cleaned, lubed and ready to go. See if he'll send it to you as a mate for that hog-leg!

It's nice to see something these days that says, "Made in U.S.A." on it. Ya' don't see much of that anymore.