Thread: Got to do two things I really like to do today

Got to do two things I really like to do today

Go fishing and fourwheeling at the same time.

We had a bluebird day that got to 63 today so Birddog and I went fishing. The roads in are still greasy as snot and was quite the little ride. Fun stuff. I need some more agressive tires thou. The street tires I have on my truck just don't cut it.

We fished a timber filled slash in the woods and managed four really nice crappie and one bass that'd go a couple. They're currently relaxing in the refrigerated pool at Bruton's Day Spa. Soon they'll get a cornmeal flour beauty treatment and then a hot oil bath.

And then they'll get et.

Crappie dinner in January. A third favorite thing!

BKB

image.jpg

image.jpg

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I got some new Toyo Open Country AT 2's I am really happy with?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Trav; 01-14-2016 at 08:17 PM.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

I'll likely go with an A/T. I ran Firestone Wilderness ATs on my old chevy and they were about right.

Bkb

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    What's with you Okies and the white trucks?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Good guys wear white, that's why.

BKB

After I wrecked my red one but before I bought this I had one neighbor buy a red 2015 Silverado and my other neighbor bought a blue one. Those would have been my first two choices but I didn't want to have the same truck as either of my neighbors.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

Trav, those NOVA boys aren't used to primary colors. They're more into earth tones and such.

BKB

I suppose we ought to just be glad they ain't all driving Teslas while drinking their soy milk latte's.

Don't go getting sensitive Barry. In these parts white is usually reserved for a fleet vehicle or a chick driving a cabriolet.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    never seen a white perch that was yellow. What color water did they come out of or is it just the light
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Is splashin through a puddle yuppie for 4 wheelin

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Trav, those NOVA boys aren't used to primary colors. They're more into earth tones and such.

BKB
    If I see one more urban lumberjack asshat around here I'm just going to start kicking them all in the nuts and just walk away. It's embarrassing.

For tires, I'd consider the BF goodrich all terrain. They've really upgraded them over the last years. They ride as smoove and soft as road tires and have a little bit better bite and better tread pattern than they used to. I was very pleasanly surprised when I just got some last month.

Lastly, that's one hell of a fine day you had!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

QA, the slash we were fishing is normally clear but because of all the rain we've had was probably a foot high and pretty muddy. And here's what is weird: When we'd catch a fish they'd come out that pale yellowish color, then when we'd put them in the basket in about a minute they'd turn to a normal hue. I suppose it had something to do with temp, the color of the water, amd their activity level. I've seen bass do that a lot but not so much crappies.

And Len, yes, I've ran BF Goodrich T/As before and they stood up well. When I get arond to wearing these current tores out and buy a new set it'll prolly depend on what looks the best at the time and are priced best. I really don't have what you'd call a brand loyalty to tires.

BKB

I'm shopping tires right now myself. I was hoping to get another winter out of my current BGG A/T's. However, I had to back down a hill at my hunt club a couple of weeks ago that was slicker than snot. It's the first time the Silver Bullet has failed me and I can't really blame the truck as I knew how thin my tread was. Come summer the Tundra will probably be Matt's primary driver and my hunting vehicle and having a new driver riding around on slicks probably isn't too smart. But, damn truck tires are expensive and the Scott's blood in me hates replacing them when I feel like I could squeeze another year out of them if it was just m.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I'm surprised all you Okies don't drive "red" trucks.. about three quarters of the trucks in Iowa are "Gravel Road Gray"..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    If I see one more urban lumberjack asshat around here I'm just going to start kicking them all in the nuts and just walk away. It's embarrassing.

For tires, I'd consider the BF goodrich all terrain. They've really upgraded them over the last years. They ride as smoove and soft as road tires and have a little bit better bite and better tread pattern than they used to. I was very pleasanly surprised when I just got some last month.

Lastly, that's one hell of a fine day you had!
    Len, when I was there and met you and Bubbles....1998 (wow, long ago), I was there for 5 weeks and in an extended stay hotel thingy, and went to a lot of malls to buy food and stuff. One thing I noticed was the almost extreme lack of pickup trucks. First few days I couldn't figure out what was 'wrong' with the view of the parking lots. Then it hit me, and it was clear everywhere I went. Here, probably 60-70% of mall parking lots are pickup trucks. Heck, my wife drives one.......we have two. But out there in TeflonVille, I saw very few. Maybe a few tricked out ones..........but here, there are as many bottom-level trucks as there are top of the line ones.

And probably 75% of trucks are white.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I hear ya Bucky, totally depends on where you are in NoVA. If you go down where my sister lives in Fredericksburg 60 mins down 95 everyone drives a pickup, the men look like a fat travis tritt and all the wimmin are 300lbs and wear spandex and tube tops and they all open funeral homes on the anniversary of the death of #3.

Personally, I like driving a pickup in a yuppie world. Wait till I get my big ass lifted new pickup.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Personally, I like driving a pickup in a yuppie world. Wait till I get my big ass lifted new pickup.
    Whatcha looking at? I'm due up for a new vehicle come summer. I think I'm just going to keep the pickup I've got (It's a 2004, but only has 83k miles on it which is just getting broken in for a Toyota.) and buy something else. I was looking at a Wrangler Unlimited, but they're rapidly turning into the vehicle of choice for the soccer Mom's around here. So, I may just get my mid-life crisis convertible.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I just put brand new tires on my truck last Saturday. I went with something actually less aggressive for the first time in my life. I wanted something that was better in snow and ice than worrying about mud. I bought Cooper AT3's. So far they have been great in the snow. For mud I used to have BF Goodrich Workhorse tires. To this day those are the best on/off road tire I've ever owned for conditions other than snow. They are okay in the snow, but not as good as these tires I'm running now. Where you live snow isn't a huge factor and I would be running tires that are as close to the Workhorse as I could find. Nice fishy btw.

One thing I have noticed off road with this truck compared to my Z71: the extra two inches of ground clearance is amazingly apparent. I noticed the dimensions when I bought the truck but never thought much about it until I'd had it off road out a few times. Its like night and day. Two friggin inches.

That's what she said!

Ha!

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    One thing I have noticed off road with this truck compared to my Z71: the extra two inches of ground clearance is amazingly apparent. I noticed the dimensions when I bought the truck but never thought much about it until I'd had it off road out a few times. Its like night and day. Two friggin inches.

That's what she said!

Ha!

BKB
    That, and it's got Toyota off road capability built in. You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Whatcha looking at? I'm due up for a new vehicle come summer. I think I'm just going to keep the pickup I've got (It's a 2004, but only has 83k miles on it which is just getting broken in for a Toyota.) and buy something else. I was looking at a Wrangler Unlimited, but they're rapidly turning into the vehicle of choice for the soccer Mom's around here. So, I may just get my mid-life crisis convertible.
    My Titan is 2005 with 216K on it now. The truck I want is a Raptor or Tundra TRD Pro, or Dodge equivalent. What I'll wind up with us something more reasonable I'll drive all of 'em before I decide though. That's what I did last time and it worked out well in the end.

You are one driving son of a gun. If you're gonna put that kind of miles on it, the Tundra is the only one I'd even consider.

Kids sports and having two jobs will do that to you Kids sports are sadly almost all done with now so it won't be so bad, mileage wise.

You piqued my curiosity and I checked the Edmunds review. Sounds like the Tundra is quicker, gets better mileage and tows more than the Raptor.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...road-test.html

I'm with ya' Lenster. There were always two things I'd immediately do whenever I bought a new truck, one was to tint the windows, the other was to install a set of BFG T/A's. I've been running T/A's since the early 80's. They are a compromise, like anything else. Cost, traction, wear ... all were factors. As usual, you can buy tires that cost more. You can buy tires that have better traction, but don't wear as well. You can buy tires that are more aggressive, but the road noise will drive you batshit crazy after a while. Granted, I spent 90% of my time on pavement, so the compromise was perfect for me. About the only snow I ever got into was when I'd go to Ohio for deer season, but I saw plenty of mud. The T/A's never failed me. I think the last couple trucks had T/A KO2's. I think they were just the new generation T/A with stronger sidewalls or something. I haven't changed tires on my new truck and still have the street tires 'cause I just don't get into anything nasty anymore.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain