Thread: Pre-game get together at the Chicot lake house.....

Pre-game get together at the Chicot lake house.....

Friends on the way to enjoy the fire pit with us.
    Fixing to put some ribeyes on the grill and chill a while.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 02-07-2016 at 12:07 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Keep the fire going, we're on our way.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    make mine medium rare.

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    make mine medium rare.
    Sorry, Abud, don't know how to cook steaks that way.....that's over-done for us.
    Southern Gentleman

I want mine where a good vet can have him mooing in about a half hour.

Knock off the horns and wipe his ass. He's done.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I'm with you Cappy. If it doesn't moo when I stick it with a fork, it's over-cooked!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I'll take mine medium rare as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Yep, Cap and Thump, you boys got that right....matter of fact, I even cook my venison rare, then let it rest and finish cooking....when it's finished, it comes out a perfect pink medium rare.
    Southern Gentleman

God lives in a medium rare ribeye. Oh, and don't let BBP cook your steaks. Ever.

And since nobody else has said it, Eddie has clearly outkicked his coverage in the wife department like the rest of us!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Lynn and I went to a high-bucks steakhouse once (can't remember where we were) but they would not accept an order over medium. If you wanted it cooked anymore than that, you had to go elsewhere. They told us they refuse to ruin a premium piece of meat. True story, but to be honest, I can't really remember if they'd accept a "medium-well" order or not.

I also love Carpaccio and first had it on a date with Lynn at Sonny Bono's place. I think it was in Beverly Hills (?), but we also had it at his place in Palm Springs.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Ha! I just re-read the above ... sounds like I was at his house! He had a restaurant called "Bono's".

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    And since nobody else has said it, Eddie has clearly outkicked his coverage in the wife department like the rest of us!
    Yep, LJ, she's dang near 6 ft. tall, and still weighs exactly the same, as when we married nearly 46 years ago....she's still HOT because I make sure she stays "active" and "satisfied", ifyaknowwhatimeanandimsureyoudo....heeheehee.

(she'd beat my azz, if she knew I posted her pic here amongst you retards!!!)
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 02-07-2016 at 11:25 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Happy wife = happy life

BKB

There was a Bono's in St Augustine where Cheryl and I ate for years. It's gone now and we miss it.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

We either gonna have one Hell of a Superbowl party or one sad pitty party around here tonight.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    There's a football game today ????????????
    Hell, that worthless baseball is about to start
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I really don't have much interest in either of the teams, but I'd absolutely love it if Peyton could go out with another Super Bowl win.

Even though baseball spring training starts with pitchers and catchers reporting in 11 days, not that I'm counting, the one sporting event that I almost looking forward to this year is in 112 days.

That is when I'll be sitting in the stands for the 100th running of the Greatest Spectacle in Racing. This year will be the 35th Indy 500 that I've attended.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    That is when I'll be sitting in the stands for the 100th running of the Greatest Spectacle in Racing. This year will be the 35th Indy 500 that I've attended.
    still hard to believe the 1911 Indy 500's average speed was 74.59 mph ...thats fast for 105 years ago.

Ray_Harroun.jpg

Deppity, if you were a NASCAR fan, you'd only have to wait 2-weeks!

I may jump ship on nascar myself...that crap last season with Bush winning the Championship after skipping 11 races still chaps my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Deppity, if you were a NASCAR fan, you'd only have to wait 2-weeks!
    I'd have to wait 42 years for the 100th Daytona 500.

You know I don't like watching those slooooow taxi cabs running around.

Why do you think ISC doesn't care to have the Indy cars race on their tracks? They know they will make the cups cars look really slow in comparison. It's usually about a 50 MPH difference on any track that they run in common.

Yep, it's 'cause NASCAR won't let them run airplane wings on their cars.

Ok, you and the Airbud can watch the rich, non-English speaking, pretty boys race cars they can't touch each other with.

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    still hard to believe the 1911 Indy 500's average speed was 74.59 mph ...thats fast for 105 years ago.

Ray_Harroun.jpg
    That race was about 7 1/2 hours long. Kinda like most of the NASCAR races today after they add in all those fake debris cautions and the "competition" yellows to bunch everyone back up to add a little excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Yep, it's 'cause NASCAR won't let them run airplane wings on their cars.

Ok, you and the Airbud can watch the rich, non-English speaking, pretty boys race cars they can't touch each other with.
    I can watch a bunch of barely English speaking people crash into each other every year at my county fair's demolition derby. I always thought the point of racing was to go faster than everyone else and win the race, not bounce off of each other for 500 miles.

Formula Une

That post by Airbud made me think of this. Here is a photo from several years ago of my daughter standing in front of the very first Indy winner, the 1911 Marmon "Wasp". It is sporting what is believed to be the first rearview mirror on an automobile.

Indy 019.jpg

The really cool thing is that thing still runs. I've personally seen it driven around the track several times at the races I've been to. Here is Tom Sneva driving it in 2011.

2011 Indy 500 048.jpg
    Last edited by DeputyDog; 02-09-2016 at 03:21 PM.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Now that is cool! Deppity, my Godfather (Red Vogt) used to build Indy cars for Pete DePaolo and was his "traveling mechanic" back in the day. He built the Miller engines for DePaolo. Miller went bankrupt in the 30's and Fred Offenhauser bought his shop and rights to the engine, then the Miller engine became the Offy's of the day.

I think his first race was in 1922 when he finished 4th and I believe he had a few 1st place finishes in the late 20's. Here's DePaolo on the old board track in 1925.

Funny story, he was racing a Miller car in Berlin in 1934 and his engine exploded. A couple of connecting rods blew right by Adolph Hitler's head! Hitler had a track side box seat for the race. I wonder how world history would have changed if ol' Pete had been a better aim with his engine parts?

Anyway, I mentioned my Godfather above. His name was Red Vogt and he was like a second father to me. He even lived with us at one point when he was going through a divorce. He was a major player in the old Grand National/NASCAR days, in fact, he actually named NASCAR during a meeting with Bill France back in the 40's. Red had a shop right across from the backstrip on the "new" Daytona track and I can remember sleeping on a pile of tires stacked next to one of DePaolo's old Miller engines while Red and my dad prepped a car for a Daytona race. DePaolo was retired from Indy racing, but he owned a NASCAR race team in the mid-50's.

Here's a pic from the 60's of Red (on the left) and Tiny Lund with the Pontiac Red and my dad built for him. Notice the McNamara Pontiac/Big Chief sign on the left quarter panel ... my dad was the Service Manager there at the time (Orlando) and talked the owner into a sponsorship. I can remember this car sitting on the trailer in our driveway when I was a kid.