Thread: Goal Achieved!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Goal Achieved!

I set a goal a number of years ago that I had to meet or break a minimal length limit on a rainbow or brown trout before I would ever consider getting one mounted. I had no idea it would take so long to reach that goal. Yesterday I not only reached it, but broke my personal record for longest rainbow trout three times in one day! Needless to say I'm still riding the natural high that came from that. Anyway, this trout I've deemed worthy for the wall and now I just hope the taxidermist will work his magic and make it beautiful.

I surprised you even have any wall space left! (NICE fishy!)
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Good googly-moogly!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

what a fish... congrats!!

Dude... that's a beautiful thing right there.

ignant question about fish mounts. Do they mount the actual fish or make a replica?
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

From my experience, I'm pretty sure they mount the actual fish, but I haven't had one mounted in years.

The replicas became popular with "catch and release". Ya' take a picture, weigh it and measure it, then give the info to the taxidermist. (I think most of 'em will just go with the length and work with that.)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    They can do either but the replicas will actually last longer. I have a Waleye replica and it's pretty nice and as a bonus you get to let a trophy go. I know big trout like that have a harder time recovering after a strenuous fight so they don't make it some times.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

I've had skin mounts and anything that goes up from here on out will be replicas.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    The cost was pretty much the same so I am with you Postie.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Yeah but it ain't the real fish? I think I'd rather just frame picture if I didn't get the skin mount but hey, I'm a dufus

Just a personal taste thing. A ten pound walleye does more for me alive and swimming than it does on my wall. So I get two satisfactions for the price of one!

BKb

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I never weighed the fish but he is 26.5" long. I have very few fish mounted but when I do get them mounted it's always a skin mount. I personally do not like replica mounts and can usually tell if they are a replica from across the room. Hanging a plastic fish on the wall does absolutely nothing for me. I feel the same about replica antlers.

I'm with you BS, I want the real thing. Oh by the way-
    Nice fish!

Very nice fish Sky! Congrats!
    I'm with you on the real fish mount. I caught my personal biggest Tarpon last year 170 lbs class. And of course you cannot kill or keep one. So no mount for me on the fish of a lifetime. In fact you can no longer bring them in the boat for a picture. You bring them along beside the boat and measure the length and girth and make pictures but they have to remain in the water.... If you are lucky enough to land them in shallow water you can get in the water with them for a photo but you cannot lift them out of the water. Sorta a bummer.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Skyz View Post
    I never weighed the fish but he is 26.5" long. I have very few fish mounted but when I do get them mounted it's always a skin mount. I personally do not like replica mounts and can usually tell if they are a replica from across the room. Hanging a plastic fish on the wall does absolutely nothing for me. I feel the same about replica antlers.
    This is starting to sound like a Bucky thread about boobs.