Bwana, funny you should ask about distance. I got a little automatic lie about that. (Which just happens to be true) Six or 8 years ago I had this one Tom that would come to an area that I thought was about 80 yards to me and gobble and strut his butt off. But no matter what I tried he would NOT come any closer. I hunted him several times and each time he would get just out of shotgun range and stand gobble and strut but never come to me. I could not set up closer to him either. I tried decoys, gobbling back at him, everything I could think of and I could not get him to come close enough for a shot. On the morning of the last day just like clockwork he showed up giving me his usual "finger". I decided I would let him know I was there and shot at him and very much to my surprise he balled up and started flopping. The distance was so great I thought it impossible to have actually hit him so I ran over and stood on his neck till he died. I late took my range finder in there and ranged it at 66 yards. I would not take that shot and think with any certainly to take the bird. But that time it did. I like them to be within 40 yards normally.