Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holy Crap

I certainly don't have the answer. I wish I did, but I don't. My tendency is to agree with Eddie, we have a values problem more than we have a law problem. I'm not condemning the lady's values that got killed in this deal, but I think overall we do a lot of stuff in America that devalues human life. Its in our politics, its in our entertainment, and its in our religion even. The other guy is the reason we're so fucked up, not me. Its because of them that I'm miserable. And because of that, they're worthless.
    But I doubt understanding that fixes anything. I'm not sure there is a 'fix' for this. At this point I think I know more what it ain't than what it is. And that's discouraging.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    It's already started. From today's Washington Post, the POTUS has solicited proposals from all his cabinet members and put Biden in charge of the effort:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z2
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

To be honest, this whole thing, plus a couple other issues, has me bottomed out. I used to tell Buckster all the time that I believe it will get better. That it can be turned around. But man, there is a LOT of bad stuff out there right now. Bad stuff.

This guy tried to buy guns and couldn't. That's at least SOMETHING in my book. But that gets bypassed in this conversation Nationally. And it doesn't matter how many Armed citizens have stopped situations like this. All that matters is that 20 children died and it is the last mass shooting in a stretch of them. And their faces are going to be shoved at us for political gain. And that's the part that will piss me off.

I am a lucky man. Lucky Dad. And I believe in this country.

I just wish that it mattered a bit more.
    [SIZE=4]Non omnis moriar.[/SIZE]

Eddie talks a lot about God being back in schools. It is interesting to me that when I see this:

The rising anxiety in Washington over how to respond to the Sandy Hook massacre came as a new Washington Post-ABC News poll found a shift in the way most Americans view such tragedies and the reasons behind them.

More than half of the respondents to the poll, conducted over the weekend, said the shooting in Connecticut reflected societal problems rather than the isolated action of a troubled individual. Fewer than a quarter said the same thing after the July shooting in a Aurora, Colo., movie theater, where a gunman killed 12 people and injured dozens.

It never includes the fact that a lot of the things that happened have been since the push to eliminate prayer and religion from schools, etc. There has been a shift in societal thinking. A bad one. It used to be that you could NEVER show a child being hurt or killed in a show or movie. But that's fine now. Happens A LOT. And that's just one example...

We are a culture obsessed with violence. And some folks don't know how to separate reality form fantasy.

Do I think that's the whole answer? Hell no. But it don't help.

But the Assault Weapons ban? That is coming. No doubt.
    Last edited by TheHunter000; 12-18-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Oh, and last...CT already had an Assault Weapons ban at the state level:

http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/firearms.htm

I not so sure that we aren't overlooking some things that ought to be researched and looked into. Our chemical dependency is one example. There's times I think of the old Jefferson Airplane song 'Go Ask Alice'. People take serious medicines that seriously alter brain chemistry when they're sad, and they call it depression. We treat people with chemicals because they won't eat for ever lovin' sakes. We treat people with chemicals because they eat and throw up afterwards. We give our kids chemicals because they won't pay attention.It seems like we try to treat all sorts of things with medicine that aren't medical problems. And I think we have created a very dangerous situation because when it comes right down to it, we don't know how a lot (most?) of these things even work. 'One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small'.....

It may not be the answer, but I think its part of the problem. We medicate the crap out of ourselves for things that we are in fact accountable and responsible for fixing ourselves, or with help from other people. Its just too damned easy. My money is that there will be treatment for depression somewhere along the line in this case.
    And its not just for murderers. I lost a very good friend recently to suicide. and he had lots of problems that he brought upon himself. But when it came to fixing them, he turned to medicine instead of to himself or his friends. Regardless of whether the chemicals caused his suicide is debatable. But I do know the route he chose was an empty hole and ultimately he was profoundly discouraged because of it. that can't be denied.

BKB

I 100% agree with that as well. I got put on an ADHD med and I was just not the same person. I have since stopped and instead learned to more effectively organize and manage my time. And those meds made me think stuff sometimes that just ain't me.

Go figure...

No easy answers. WAY too many questions.

What a world, what a world...

Interesting. I too have suffered from ADHD since childhood. Back then we just called it un-focused. Dang! I take a pill every morning.... I feel what life really should be like. I was given a long battery of tests, suggested several meds.... we tried a couple that didn't work, but I take one now that lets me be clear and focused like I have never been able to before.
    I do think that the new synthetic drugs are seriously BAD NEWS! Kids that have taken that are hospitalized and brains permanately altered. Meth is really bad news. The paranoia, alone should be enough to stop someone.
    I believe in doctors. Actually not all doctors. Some just prescribe a med and call the person treated. Mason's mom supposedly has a Vicadon (sp) issue. She keeps getting scrips. A person cannot carry on a conversation with her without her screaming.
    The mental health care in this country has gone downhill fast- back to the Cuck-oo's nest mentality. Budget cuts that keep Indiana in the black, mean that we have the lowest alloted for our mental health institutions.
    On that note- Why is there such a stigma on any mental health issue. A person tells you they have diabetes, you shrug your shoulders and don'toffer him or her any candy. A person says I sat down with a shrink, and he says I suffer from blah, blah blah..... suddenly there is a stigma.
    Remember when the by died that I was giving CPR.... I did everything right, gave him every chance possible to live. Brought him back twice..... he didn't make it. I was fine. Then 6 months later- I just lost it. I blamed myself and sunk deep.... talked to my doctor. He refered me. a few sessions-no problems since. He did identify my ADHD.... I have had the best 10 yrs of my life since. Am I a responsible gun owner? Yup.
    Lots of issues to sort out as a country. Gun control isn't the answer. Better contol of the guns that are in this world, yes- gotta find the way to keep any weapon out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them. - much easier said than done.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    "I have been working with my staff for over a year on this legislation," Feinstein said in a statement issued Monday. "It will be carefully focused on the most dangerous guns … while protecting the rights of gun owners."

Feinstein said her legislation will outlaw the sale, import and manufacture of more than 100 different firearms, including "semiautomatic rifles, handguns and shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than ten rounds."

The measure would also ban the sale, import and manufacture of "large-capacity ammunition feeding devices (magazines, strips and drums) capable of accepting more than ten rounds."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz2FR8rUybT
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Once diagnosed with ANY mental health condition, you can no longer buy life insurance or health insurance at anywhere near standard rates.......for the rest of your life.

Some medicines are keeping me alive. Many are 'new'. Too many exist, and the wrong combinations might be making some folks nuts. But to blame 'medication' is uninformed to the max. My friend at deer camp can't take the same medicines that work great on me. Lisinopril is cheap and keeps my BP at great levels. It drives his to up over 200 and almost kills him. He thinks all medicines are bad and the cause of all these problems. They are NOT. Many work. But some doctor needs to monitor the combos and make sure there are not bad mixtures. Most of these 'bad evil private' insurance companies now do this routinely for you, and send you reports of possible issues.

And we've all known that sometime, those afraid of pieces of metal would control them and go "whew, we fixed it. We did good!" and pay little attention to those behind them. That's inevitable. Sad stuff.

Again, I was born way too late.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

We're very close to jerking our knees plumb off.

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?p...6-d6dddd9619e2

Meanwhile, Louisville Slugger is doing fine. So are knife makers, probably.

Go figure. I don't want to any more.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?p...c-e9d0a44478de

Good grief. It's starting.

The race to see who is most insane.

Reporter on ABC news radio yesterday said and I quote "the shooter used a two hundred thirty caliber rifle and it shoots a very big bullet". So we need to stop selling those, huh? I also heard the rifle described as a "Bushwhacker".

I'm ready to resign from something, I tell you. The Human Race, maybe. I can't do this every day, no way. This is beyond tolerable.

And now this interesting factoid. Makes the knees just about the sole part of the body, seems to me. Geez.

According to recent FBI statistics, rifles are the chosen weapon in about 450 murders per year and according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Adminstration, about 10,000 traffic fatalities PER YEAR are alcohol related.
    Last edited by Buckrub; 12-18-2012 at 06:52 PM.

hotshot, I hope you didn't take that wrong. I had a doc where I took an online test and she said "Well, let's try this med". Got switched a few times. Period. I was never given ,more info or anything else, just told to take it once a day. When I raised my hand to my wife at the time (just raised my hand), I stopped. Because I do NOT do that. Never have. And I had to get control of myself again. Maybe a different doc or test would tell me other stuff. But that was it for me.

Now? The tools I used from an ADHD coach helped me get control of my issues. And I am a happy individual. If it came out as a shot at those that use it, or as me insulting others, I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    Interesting. I too have suffered from ADHD since childhood. Back then we just called it un-focused. Dang! I take a pill every morning.... I feel what life really should be like. I was given a long battery of tests, suggested several meds.... we tried a couple that didn't work, but I take one now that lets me be clear and focused like I have never been able to before.
    I do think that the new synthetic drugs are seriously BAD NEWS! Kids that have taken that are hospitalized and brains permanately altered. Meth is really bad news. The paranoia, alone should be enough to stop someone.
    I believe in doctors. Actually not all doctors. Some just prescribe a med and call the person treated. Mason's mom supposedly has a Vicadon (sp) issue. She keeps getting scrips. A person cannot carry on a conversation with her without her screaming.
    The mental health care in this country has gone downhill fast- back to the Cuck-oo's nest mentality. Budget cuts that keep Indiana in the black, mean that we have the lowest alloted for our mental health institutions.
    On that note- Why is there such a stigma on any mental health issue. A person tells you they have diabetes, you shrug your shoulders and don'toffer him or her any candy. A person says I sat down with a shrink, and he says I suffer from blah, blah blah..... suddenly there is a stigma.
    Remember when the by died that I was giving CPR.... I did everything right, gave him every chance possible to live. Brought him back twice..... he didn't make it. I was fine. Then 6 months later- I just lost it. I blamed myself and sunk deep.... talked to my doctor. He refered me. a few sessions-no problems since. He did identify my ADHD.... I have had the best 10 yrs of my life since. Am I a responsible gun owner? Yup.
    Lots of issues to sort out as a country. Gun control isn't the answer. Better contol of the guns that are in this world, yes- gotta find the way to keep any weapon out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them. - much easier said than done.