Thread: A Little Montana Doggin

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

A Little Montana Doggin

Last summer a couple friends of mine Al Morris and Jeff Writer of Fox Pro came out here with their decoy dogs to do a little coyote hunting. We had quite a bit of success and actually found one dumb enough, and close enough, that I could hit it. If you aren't really into watching dogs work a coyote then you could skip to the shot at the end and Al's Happy Dance. Anyway it was a good time and I thought some of you might enjoy tagging along for the ride in the hills around here. I did not come up with the title for the video, but it does make me smile a little.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SQkZShg7kco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    That is really cool. Pardon the ignorance, but what is the role of the decoy dogs. Is it a challenge thing with the Coyote?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

In the spring and early summer coyotes become extremely territorial. That absolutely will not tolerate a canine of any kind anywhere near their dens. Normally coyotes are super skittish but when they are on their dens they have no fear. The purpose of the decoy dogs is to agitate them enough to bring the coyote in close enough to shoot. It usually starts out as a game of chase. Once the coyote commits and comes following the decoy dog in, (thinking it's going to kill the dog), we are waiting with a little surprise for them. It's really interesting because many times the coyotes absolutely know a human is there, but their hatred for canines overrides their normal desire to flee. It's sometimes unreal how close they will come to you knowing full well you are sitting there with a rifle in your hands. It is about the most intense form of coyote hunting I know of.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    That does look like fun.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Looks like your partner went the the Arty school of dance
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Troy, I NEVER miss any of the Fox Pro shows....and, the hunts with the dogs are my absolute favorites....I really believe I could easily train Sandy to decoy, if there was some open isolated terrain around here.
    Southern Gentleman

BM, I'm sure she would be a natural at it. Most of the doggers I know use curs or some breed cross bred with a cur. They are just really good at getting it done.