Thread: Coolers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Coolers

Any body got any experience with the Yeti knockoffs like RTIC or Grizzly? I love my Yeti tumbler, but I've got a tough time justifying the price of their coolers.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Ha! I stopped at a yard sale a couple weeks ago and there was a woman and a young girl working the sale. They had a nice sized Yeti (65 or 75 I think?) sitting there with a $1.00 price tag on it. I KNEW it was too good to be true and since it looked brand new, I figured even if the decimal was in the wrong place and they meant $100.00, it was still a good deal. When I asked about it, the woman laughed and said her husband would KILL her if she sold it, as he had just purchased it. She then explained her daughter had a bunch of Cokes iced down in it and was selling the Cokes for a buck each!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I don't want a cooler I'd have to count as an asset. or worry about someone stealing.

Besides, I drink my beverages faster than that.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I bought one of the RTIC tumblers and it works just as well as my Yeti. My buddy has a RTIC 40qt and I have looked at it. It's pretty much identical except the fit and finish on the handles and locking straps isn't as nice. He has a yeti 60qt as well and says the perform about identically. I can tell you from what I saw it wouldn't surprise me if they were made in the same Chinese factory.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    I bought one of the RTIC tumblers and it works just as well as my Yeti. My buddy has a RTIC 40qt and I have looked at it. It's pretty much identical except the fit and finish on the handles and locking straps isn't as nice. He has a yeti 60qt as well and says the perform about identically. I can tell you from what I saw it wouldn't surprise me if they were made in the same Chinese factory.
    Been wondering about the RTIC tumblers. I've got the 30ounce yeti tumbler and I love it but would like a 20 ounce one.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I've got one of those and it's a good cooler as far as keeping things cold. However, the hardware is junk. I've replaced the hinges once(with a more expensive metal axel) and the latch twice now. So, I'm looking for something that's more durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Coleman 100 qt Xtreme...Keeps the Ice up to 5 days at temperatures up to 90 degrees Fahrenheit...$49.99

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-10...251297&veh=sem

Hank I've got this one. It's a 120 quart.

It ain't a yeti.... But we've had it 4 years and it's held up to approximately 50 days of moomaw camping during that time.

It's rugged. Good sturdy handles.

And our trip 3 weeks ago was 6 days 5 nights. It held every bit of food we brought... And I dumped out ice when I got home.

It holds a shit load of stuff. I mean it's BIG.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/40703517?w...657897&veh=sem

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I really like most of the yeti stuff and I have 3 coolers, well 2 coolers and the Hopper. I also have 4 of the 30oz and 2 of the 20oz tumblers. I had a buddy who sold them and got mine at wholesale prices. He doesn't sell them anymore so my Yeti buying days are over but I shouldn't need another one.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Friend of mine showed up to turkey camp with an old Coleman. He'd lined the thing with 3/4" blue-board - including top an bottom. Said it made a hell of a cooler out of it.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.