Thread: Bet'cha Haven't Seen This Before...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Bet'cha Haven't Seen This Before...

I've spent a lot of time outdoors and have never seen anything like this before. I doubt I ever will. It sure could have ended much worse! This is definitely worth taking a look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE0Q9...layer_embedded

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    WOW, that's scary, big bird to pick up that toddler and lift him that far off the ground.
    My biggest fear is our dogs. In the winter I usually go outside with them. We get snow owls down here and our dogs are small enought to temp one of them.
    Would have no problem blasting one of those great birds if I had to.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

My sister had a jack russell once that got attacked twice by an owl that hung around her house. He survived both. He also got struck by lightning and survived that too. He eventually got run over by a car and sadly didn't make it through that. The dog's name was Lucky.

I've also heard of duck hunters that get attacked by hawks and eagles in their blinds although its never happened to me. We have had a few flybys from eagles but not an outright attack.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    It's fairly common for predator hunters/callers to get attacked by raptor's but it's not common to see one try to carry a person off.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Man, that's messed up. While never attacked by a raptor, I've had a few close up encounters that were awful cool. I once had a huge owl swoop down and go after (flared away at the last second when it got close to the boat) a white buzz bait I was fishing. Another time I had an Osprey actually grab a hickory shad I was reeling in. He eventually let go and I reeled him in and he had talon marks down his sides. Man, that bird looked pissed when I released that fish. Another time I had a Red Tail Hawk snatch a squirrel that was bout 20' feet away from me.

Good stuff.
    Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 12-19-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

They're not raptors, but Keith and I were fishing one day and I had kingfisher dive from the top of a tree and snatch a lure I was working about a foot or so under the water. He picked it up and tried to make off with it and dropped it when he got up about ten feet or so with it. The funny part was, on the very next cast he did exactly the same thing again. I imagine they get so locked in on their quarry that they lose perspective of it.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Dang, Hank.

Have you considered changing underwear, or using deodorant?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    My Indian name is, "Soars with Raptors"...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I was deer hunting in a large bulldozed brushpile, Think Tree stand but 30 feet wide...
    Scratched my knee with my hand. Looked up to see a Barn Owl hovering about me. Whenmy whole body flinched, the owl seemed very suprised. This was archery season-full camo. IT matched.

So.....I just read where this video was a fake. Coulda fooled me.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    ALL videos are fake.

Well, except for that video Mrs. Claus made for Santa that he wasn't supposed to watch on the Sleigh...........I bet that's real.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I only saw it once and that was the first thing that popped into my head.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Yep, the video made the nat'l evening news, and it was declared a fake.

Still, it is certainly possible....several years ago, we lost a puppy to a red-tailed hawk.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 12-20-2012 at 01:56 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Very well done by a bunch of kids.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Few years back there was a bald eagle that swooped down and took a yapper dog off of a sandbar in south Bismarck while the family was taking a stroll.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    Very well done by a bunch of kids.
    I agree. Very cool.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Administrator
    It was posted from Montreal. Each year, the university assigns a "fool the internet" type project. Last year was an escaped penguin. Don't believe nuthin' out of Montreal..

--Foo