Thread: Fourth of July Plans

Fourth of July Plans

For the working stiffs of the world, the 4th cooperated this year and you have a whole long weekend to plan for.

We have zero plans this year, which is usually an omen for a busy weekend. Sometimes the unplanned stuff is funner than the planned! If not we'll spend some quiet time listening to our music by the pool and playing with the grandkids. Might smoke some ribs, or maybe even a brisket. Homemade burgers sound good.

Why am I so hungry?

What's your plans for this happy 4th?

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    For the working stiffs of the world, the 4th cooperated this year and you have a whole long weekend to plan for. We have zero plans this year, which is usually an omen for a busy weekend. Sometimes the unplanned stuff is funner than the planned! If not we'll spend some quiet time listening to our music by the pool and playing with the grandkids. Might smoke some ribs, or maybe even a brisket. Homemade burgers sound good. Why am I so hungry? What's your plans for this happy 4th? BKB
    You're prolly hungry because of all the self medication you've been doing to pass that stone. Matt leaves Saturday night for a 3 week student exchange in Germany. So, the weekend is chopped up and the celebration will be weird without him there. We always go up to my in laws in Baltimore where they have an old fashioned parade in their little town to start the day and a family reunion in the afternoon. Most of her extended family is a bunch of beer drinking accountants. So, we get along pretty well.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    grillin and chillin with a nap throwed in somewhere
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

We don't have a darned thing planned that I'm aware of.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

We gots 14 men, women, and chirren coming to the lakehouse to help burn up about $300 worth of ski boat fuel, eat about $500 worth of good groceries, and I hate to even think about the electric bill because they're all staying 3 days !!!....haven't figured out who is sleeping on the floor, but I guarandayumtee ya, it ain't gonna be me !!!

Think I'll hire Cousin Eddie, from the Vacation movie, to come keep everyone entertained.

Attachment 7307

We love 'em ALL, however !!!!
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 06-29-2016 at 01:52 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Passed this year on our week long State Shoot (trap), only going down there tomorrow to buy supplies and shoot 100 rounds just to say I did.
    This is the start of our big National Cherry Festival. Starts on Friday with the Blue Angles, then they fly again on Saturday. This is their first show since the death of their leader a few weeks ago. http://www.cherryfestival.org/
    Then we hunker down for the week as our small town gets invaded with a couple of hundred thousand fudgies that take over everything we own. This year one of the newest Hotels in town has set a record by charging $1000 a night, and they're sold out.
    Our only salvation is we joined the local Elk's Club, it's right down on the bay, excellent food, cheap booze and limited clientele, our get a way for our Friday date night.
    All the kids are in town for the weekend too, so we'll find plenty to keep us busy.
    All you young working stiffs, enjoy your long weekend.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

A friend of mine took me into an Elk's club in Tulsa many years ago. It was pretty noce, and they liked it for a lot of the same reasons you do! as I recall, they grilled up a mean steak dinner!

BKb

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Whats the best part of a pig to get pulled pork from?

I've smoked a 1000 boston butt's and shoulder's but I have never made pulled pork. So y'all teach me and I will post pictures....

Edit: And what sauce y'all use?...or tell me how y'all make it...

damit airbud...>thats to much to ask
    Last edited by airbud7; 06-29-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Slow smoke a butt for about six hours, then transfer to a crock pot with about a half cup of water. Cook on low overnight. When you get up next day you can pull it apart quite easily with a couple of forks. To finish it I pour in a whole bottle of Head Country barbecue sauce. If you can't get Head Country, just use any slightly sweet sauce.

Pile that on a toasted bun, put a little coleslaw (the sweet kind not that vinegar crap y'all like out there) on the top of the pork and you've got yourself an Arkansas Pg Sammich and abut as good eating as it gets.

Garnish with roastnears and cold watermelon for dessert,

BKB

I smoke a Boston butt to an internal temp of 205. Let it rest in a cooler for at least an hour and then pull removing any big chunks of fat or connective tissue as I go. I think the specific rubs for pulled pork are over rated and just use whatever is available. For sauce, I combine one cup of drippings (with excess fat skimmed) and one cup BBQ sauce. I use Sweet Baby Rays a lot because the family likes it. But, there's other stuff I like better personally.
    Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 06-29-2016 at 09:08 PM.

I think Lynn's pulled pork recipe pretty much matches P-hole's. I also agree on the cole slaw. I like a sweet sauce also, but Lynn generally makes her own. No clue what she uses.

Wow!...Thanks Barry and CD....Butts are easy for me we just always eat them/ never pull pork stuff...

Gonna get 2 and try y'all's recipes....Thanks Fellers!...

Its some good eats, butt is!

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    We are heading south with some friends. We rented a house in Seaside, FL for the week. Gonna sit on the beach and drink for a week.

We usually stay home and spend it on the lake and grilling. The lake we have the boat always shoots fireworks and we go out in the boat and watch them from the lake.

I'll frequently do a cheater butt like Barry describes if I'm short on time. After 6 hours on the smoker, the meat had probably taken on all the smoke flavor it is going to. The only down side is you lose the good crisp bark. Instead of using water like Posthole, I just put a good coating of BBQ sauce over the top and it's got plenty of moisture and basically eliminates the step of mixing the drippings with the sauce in my first post.

I'm gonna smoke a stick of baloney this weekend, that's for sure! In honor of Trey Gowdy.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I'm gonna smoke a stick of baloney this weekend, that's for sure! In honor of Trey Gowdy.

BKB
    Thats a little OT.....y'a think...........But while we are on the subject... I would take Trey any day if I was to ever need a lawyer.............