Thread: Gun advice.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar

Gun advice.

I have been wanting a .22 since I sold my last one many years ago. I have pretty much decided I want a bolt action just haven't decided which one. I went to a local gun shop and they had a Ruger 77/22 and Browning Tbolt. They were both nice guns but pretty spendy which I am not opposed to if they are worth it. I have been looking online and the CZ's get pretty good accuracy reviews for about half the price of the other 2. What say you .22 knower abouters.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

One of the sweetest 22 bolts I've ever fondled and shot was a CZ. Don't recall the model. They're not made here, Czech republic I think, nor have I have I ever owned a CZ rifle. But the one I plinked around with was really solid.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    If you had said semi-auto then I know the best one....springfield arms marlin model 60...

http://www.springfieldarms.net/produ...od-stock-blued
    Last edited by airbud7; 07-13-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I've got an Anschutz. Pricey but worth it. Sweetest trigger you can find out of the box.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I don't know about the CZ 22's, but l looked at them hard before I bought my Tikka a few years back and everything I read was positive. A buddy of mine has a CZ 9mm pistol that I've shot and really like.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    If you had said semi-auto then I know the best one....springfield arms marlin model 60...
    A model 60 was the first .22 I ever bought (new). I think I paid $89.00 for it on sale at Wally World. It was a decent, cheap, beginner's rifle, but that mf'er sure did jam like a son-of-a-gun if I tried to shoot cheaper soft-nosed bullets. CCI Stingers was the only round it shot consistantly without jamming.

You didn't mention if you were looking for a .22 LR or a mag, but I also had the Ruger 77/22 WMR and it was a sweet little rifle. In fact, I think somebody here bought that thing from me. B/S maybe?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Thumper I was thinking .22LR, CZ has a combo with interchangeable barrels that is .22LR & .17HMR I am thinking about.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    A model 60 was the first .22 I ever bought (new). I think I paid $89.00 for it on sale at Wally World. It was a decent, cheap, beginner's rifle, but that mf'er sure did jam like a son-of-a-gun if I tried to shoot cheaper soft-nosed bullets. CCI Stingers was the only round it shot consistantly without jamming.
    Lol Thump^ I got my model 60 at K-Mart a long time ago/ never jammed on me/ I will even post a video of me shooting it all 15 times!....You got a dud.

Anybody remember the old Nylon 66's? Lots of young folks I knew growing up had them. I had a High standard 22 semi auto that I mounted a cheap Tasco on that I bet I killed a million squirrels with when I was a kid.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Anybody remember the old Nylon 66's? Lots of young folks I knew growing up had them. BKB
    Yep, had one'a those too. Neat little rifle, but %*@#%^&$^* ... don't EVER take one'a those SOB's apart! I finally had to give up and have a professional put it back together for me. I prolly could'a figured it out ... eventually ... but didn't have the patience.

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    Lol Thump^ I got my model 60 at K-Mart a long time ago/ never jammed on me/ I will even post a video of me shooting it all 15 times!....You got a dud.
    Oh, don't get me wrong .. I fired a bazillion rounds through that thing, but Trav wants a bolt action. As for the Mod. 60, my favorite thing about it was the tube magazine. If I was plinking, I could load a shit-load of shorts in there. But somewhere along the line it developed a catch on the feed ramp (I'm assuming) and a soft-nose bullet would hang up every 10 rounds or so. It would really piss me off, but I got around it by using CCI's exclusively as they would feed better. It probably would have been an easy fix ... but I don't like working on guns ... I just take 'em out'ta the box, sight 'em in and shoot 'em. If they don't shoot ... they're a POS IMHO. I gave it to my son and just used my Ruger 10/22 for plinking.

Although I started out as an auto mechanic and worked my way up through the automobile service business where I worked for close to 20 years ... (and went through a TON of "project cars") ... these days, I buy a car, drive it off the lot (I don't even test drive 'em ... what's the point?) and if it breaks, it's junk. (that's why I drive Toyotas)

I don't even change my own oil any more. (I get an oil/filter change and tire rotation for $19.95 at the dealership) Even though I have my own compressor, it's a rare occasion I'll even add air to my tires! I'll stop by the dealership and just have one of their guys air 'em up for me (I know people there and simply pull into the shop to a service bay).
    Cars, guns ... it doesn't matter ... if it doesn't do what it's supposed to do, it's junk. Did I say that's why I drive Toyotas?

In a way, you could say I'm lazy ... but I worked hard all my life to gain the privilege to be lazy.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Okay.. This is kinda my bag.. Like DD - I have an Anschutz 54.. Scary accurate.. Trigger.. nearly perfect. I also have a Ruger 77/22.. My son has one - 3 of my hunting buds have them. I keep hearing some have accuracy issue - but *all* of these are shooters. They are possibly my favorite .22 platform". A couple of these I have put a "competition" sear in. Nearly drop-in and sweetens up the trigger a bunch.

Now, that said.. I also have a CZ 452 (mine is in .17 Mach II - but exact same gun as .22 - different barrel. "Bang for the buck" (see what I did there?) - Exceptional.. Some guys do a little trigger work on these.. Mine was great out of the box. Any of these will shoot "minute of squirrel's head" at 50 yards.

Last edited by HideHunter; 07-14-2016 at 09:18 AM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Trav, I like older guns, classics , I think they were built better, better wood, finer tolerances than todays mass production models.
    I think they hold their value better too. Look at a Remington 510A , 512A or 582
    Old Winchester and even Savage had some great models out.
    My two 22 rifles are a 1955 Marlin 39A and a 80's Ruger 10/22
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    @Hide.....That is the best looking 22 I ever seen...

Went to the local gun shop and this is what followed me home. A CZ 455 combo, it has a .22LR, .17HMR & .22WMR barrels for $570.00

image.jpg

image.jpg

Another question, I have a old Nikon Monarch fixed 4X scope in the safe. Would that be a good scope for a rimfire?
    Last edited by Trav; 07-14-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Another question, I have a old Nikon Monarch fixed 4X scope in the safe. Would that be a good scope for a rimfire?
    Some guys don't care and I have no idea if it makes a difference (I would think it does), but I always mounted rimfire scopes on my rimfire rifles and regular rifle scopes on my centerfire rifles.

Here ya' go. Kinda bassackwards from what you want to do, but the same principle in reverse.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DhZb7GGfAto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks Airbud.. I like the classic lines, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Went to the local gun shop and this is what followed me home. A CZ 455 combo, it has a .22LR, .17HMR & .22WMR barrels for $570.00

xellent choice - I think you'll be pleased. I'll answer your scope question with a question.. How old are you? I got along great with a 4x scope until I was about 55. Then one day I noticed it wasn't doing the job. Looked through one of my centerfires set on 6X.. as the kids say,,,, "omg". Only difference between "better" inch-tube rimfire scopes and centerfire is - rimfire parallax is set at 50 yards - centerfire at 100. Most of my rimfires have decent quality variable power airgun scopes with ao.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 07-14-2016 at 11:02 PM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

HH, I will be 45 in September but it's funny you ask. I pulled that fixed 4x of my BLR .308 because it was going bad (it couldn't be me) and didn't work as well as it used to. I am thinking it will mostly be a plinker but will go on the occasional squirrel hunt as well. I will have to check out the airgun scopes should I check for the usual suspects.

Simmons had a great one and I wish I'd bought 5. They changed them. Right now, I'm very impressed with Hawke and Leapers..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I've got a Leupold fixed 4X on my Anschutz. Can't remember what midel it since its been on that gun for almost 30 years.

I have a bull barrel savage with thumbhole laminated stock that is wicked accurate. On my rimfires I prefer a variable with parralex adjustability on the scope. Most big game scopes are set at 100 yards and rimfires at 5o yards. This still is not good enough if you are trying to shoot a limb rat right between the eye and ear. To much error. Parralex adjustable scopes allow you to set the focal planes for the exact distance and take out all the "play" you get in a scope.
    Anyone that does not get this concept, take a big game rifle with scope and lay it on a bench with sand bags or pillows so you can look through scope without moving gun at a target 20 yards away.. As you move your head around the crosshairs wll move all over the target. At 100 yards you will not see this. Thats why you can miss a limb ratsl head at 20 yards.