Thread: Who'da thunk it?

Who'da thunk it?

My buddy and I went to an estate sale a few weeks ago and stopped at a yard sale we happened to discover on our way home. I found some crappy "lava lamp" looking thingy that had colored water and something that looked like an alien embryo or sumpin' in it. It's a pretty nice size at about 15" tall and it lights up. I only looked at it because my son (who's in his mid-30's BTW) loves goofy things like this. He's big into that silly zombie stuff that's so popular these days. Anyway, the guy only had a price of $3.00 on the thing, but I put it back down anyway, as I just wasn't that interested. As I was walking off, the guy running the sale said, "PLEASE take that ugly thing with you ... you can have it for a dollar if you want it!" Well dang, what's a buck among friends? I figured I'd pick it up and send it to my son as a night light or sumpin'. Well, I set it down in my office when I got home and pretty much forgot about it until I was moving some stuff around today and spotted it. Just out of curiosity, I decided to check these things out on eBay ... not so much to sell, but mostly just to see what they're officially called. DANG! Sorry son ... I've changed my mind! These things are selling for $150 - $175!!! Sometimes I just fall into this shit!

alienembryo1.jpg Alienembryo2.JPG
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Update; I saw one of these (with it's original box) sell for $200, so I figured I should get off my butt and get this thing listed. I've never seen anything like this! When I list a popular item, I usually average maybe 10-15 hits/day, or a really hot item will draw close to 20 hits/day (rare). As an example, the "new, in unopened box" Samsung S8, 64 GB phone I have listed has been drawing 15-16 hits/day, and that's a very popular item. A "hit" registers whenever a NEW person checks out the listing. Any repeat looks (like someone who keeps checking the listing on a regular basis) do not register as additional hits ... only the initial hit counts.

Well, this lamp has been listed for a couple weeks now and is drawing an average of almost 850 hits/day ... and is on 22 watch lists so far! Unbelievable! This is a new record for me! (not that it really means squat, it's just an interesting observation)

I have no clue why I held onto this thing for a whole frigging year before I ever got around to listing it. (check the dates on these posts)

You next job is at the carnival barkng for the yak lady.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

I think the yak lady is hot!

I guess people were shopping over the weekend. The average count jumped to 950/day. Incredible!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I remember the guys on American Pickers saying that all of that alien stuff was a big seller.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    I remember the guys on American Pickers saying that all of that alien stuff was a big seller.
    Now that you mention it CD, I remember that. I think they were in Roswell at the time.

Well, my little alien embryo sold this afternoon. That was the craziest run I've had to date, by far. When it sold, I was averaging over 1400 hits/day! I've never seen anything like it and I'm not so sure I ever will again. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Hope you got a zillion dollars for it !!!
    Southern Gentleman

Look at the head on that thing. I'm certain it is kin to Thumper....
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Look at the head on that thing. I'm certain it is kin to Thumper....
    That.... and the tiny hands!

You dufes need to line up ... you can share a stool if you want.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Seriously, what did you get for it?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Oh, it's not like I got rich off the thing and it wasn't anything crazy, it's just the experience that makes the ride more fun. The top was banged around and had some large dents in the aluminum cone, so it was listed as "working, but damaged". I listed it at a fixed price of $137.50 and that's what I sold it for. The fun part is, it was a $1.00 "investment". Not a bad profit margin and I'd be willing to take those deals all day long!