Thread: First day of Fall....thank you, Lord.....

First day of Fall....thank you, Lord.....

Today is the first day of fall, and I have never been more thankful for that....beginning in the middle of June, our daytime temps have seldom been lower than the mid-90's....maybe I'm just getting older, but with the high humidity, it's just been an absolutely stifling summer.

There's been just a hint of cooler weather with night-time temps in the mid-60's....the skeeters have calmed down a little, so I did a little deer and coyote scouting, late yesterday afternoon....my renter has harvested his soybeans, so the deer are on the move to find other bedding areas....jumped a big beautiful 9 point, about dozen nannies, and more squirrels than I could count.

Even Sandy can feel the change in the season, and is getting friskier every day....I had a beautiful black squirrel, nesting in a big red oak in the front yard, and was hoping he would hang around, just to watch him from my office window...."HAD", being the operative word....yesterday, he made the mistake of getting to far away from his nest tree, and Sandy ran him down....after she crunched his noggin, she proudly brought him to me, and dropped him at my feet....I just could not scold her....she was just doing what she does best.
    Southern Gentleman

The days are getting noticably shorter aren't they? The last few years the summer has gotten to be my favorite season since ours have been relatively mild the last couple of years. Its been hot this week but a cold front is coming tomorrow that'll put the kibash on the 90s for a good while. Maybe for the year, who knows
    BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

It'd suit me just fine, if it snowed a foot tonite.
    Southern Gentleman

Fall is a double edged sword for me. I love the time of year and the outdoor activities and fishing are always better but it also signals the beginning of the end, too. Pretty soon there's no fishing, it'll be cold and all...
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

You should make it a point to fish all year. We get some pretty weather in winter and they've turned out to be some of my best fishing days. Sure makes all those cold grey days go by faster!

Of course, its all about access.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Problem here is that almost all our fishing is river or stream fishing. Unless Len takes up trout fishing in a serious way, it almost completely shuts down once the water temps get below 50 or so.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Fall? Fall? 95 here today and my yard is as green as May and has to be mowed every five days. We'll get a couple days in February
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I don't think I could survive one week of summer in the South, but hanging out there in the fall looks like it would be a ton of fun!

We only have two seasons, summer and "mild-summer". Fine with me ... 'cept the Yankees invade during the mild-summer.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Big Skyz View Post
    I don't think I could survive one week of summer in the South, but hanging out there in the fall looks like it would be a ton of fun!
    Sky, you are so correct....the south is a wonderful place in the fall, winter, and spring....our long-range plans, as soon as I can get wifey retired, are to spend fall, winter, and spring here at the farm, then haul butt to some mountain range for about 60 days, during the hottest part of the summer....I love the Rockies, and am very familiar with Colorado, having hunting out there so much in the past, but would prolly like to venture to the Smokies or Blue Ridge, too.

Heck, I might even venture up your way....I'd love to come kill some 'yotes with you....and, if you got some squirrels, can I bring Sandy???
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Careful, BM. He'll try to talk you into using Sandy for coyote bait.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Ruh Roh, hadn't thought about that !!!
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Not bait! "Decoy"!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain