Thread: Big Sky Fishing Show

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Big Sky Fishing Show

If you guys are really bored or just need a mental break from your daily routine, here is a little 10-11 minute video I put together last night. A lot of people ask me about how to jig fish and this video is to show people how it's done. So it is a "how to" video but has plenty of fish catching as well. Anyway, hope you guys that like to fish enjoy it. Had my youngest son running the camera and I thought he did a pretty darn good job. Please excuse some of the wind noise here and there. It's Montana, it never stops blowing around here. Then again if North Dakota didn't suck so bad, the wind might let up here. Sorry Bwana...couldn't resist.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    That's pretty cool. LJFS watch out!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I figure with all the political talk a guy needs a diversion into what is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Skyz View Post
    I figure with all the political talk a guy needs a diversion into what is important.
    Yes sir agreed!!!!!!

Troy, I noticed most of those fish appear to be native. Or at least offspring maybe from the original stockers. Do these ponds have feeder streams these fish spawn in?

Cool video!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

BBP, they weren't native, but they have been in there a while and have all their fins. They are some of the prettiest fish around here short of the native fish. Even though they are private ponds they get their share of fishing pressure and some days they can be very difficult to catch. There is a reason those rainbows have a little girth on them, they don't get caught all that often. Hopefully one of these days I'll capture on video catching one of the bigger fish up there. There are some really nice trout over 20" that I've posted photos of before, but I've never captured any on video.

It looks like as much fun as a whole barrel of monkeys! Especially on light tackle.
    I might have to order some of those jigs for a trip over to the White River in November we're talking about. I reckon an Arkansas brown would bite anything a Montana one would! And they love sculpins too.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

BBP, they will work. My secret weapon and go-to jig wasn't featured in the video. I do really well with the Firetiger and Sculpin patterns, but my all time favorite is this black jig with the red collar. It would be the first color I would try in the White River.

That's some pretty cool stuff right there! Any of that filmed with the new little camera?
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Captain, nope it wasn't. I do have that little camera full and I need to try and download the video from it and see how it all looks.

Can you post that link on the thread to the place that sells them?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yessir
    http://www.kitstackle.com/Marabou-Jigs.html

If you call them instead of just ordering online say hello to Kit or Trevor for me. They are great guys, and if you ever decide you want an over the top for fun, guided Montana trout fishing trip, they are the guys to book with.

Order placed!

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Barry did you order the 1/8 or 1/4 oz, it seems like with the way that water runs sometimes you might need the 1/4oz.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

I got the 1/8th oz, probably more out of habit than anything else. When
    i think maribou jigs, I think of fishing the riffles with them. I just want to bring them down the riffle right below the surface.
    I guess i'm gonna need to try Troy's snap jigging technique in a little deeper water, huh. I might order some quarters after I can hold them in my hand and see how they act in my cement pond!

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I'm going to have to order a supply of those this winter and see how our natives like them.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    That's pretty cool. LJFS watch out!
    We'll have to work on including a bit more humor

That's awesome BS! I'm about out of excuses to see if those bad boys will work on river smallies. Trick is not getting hung up in shallow water.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.