Thread: Loping Along in Coyote Country

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Loping Along in Coyote Country

While you guys have been siting around discussing politics and trying to keep your head above water in the South, I was out enjoying Montana to it's fullest this weekend. I told my partner before I left to come out to his place to hunt, that I was more interested in coyote hunting than antelope hunting. I made it clear that I would basically shoot the first buck that was 12" or better just to fill the freezer, and I would not be holding out for a trophy. The plan was to get the antelope out of the way and in the freezer, so we could do what we both enjoy more, and hunt coyotes.

I arrived about midday on Friday. We spent our time making coyote stands and doing a little scouting for antelope. We saw plenty of antelope including a pretty decent buck or two. What we really enjoyed though was some success on coyotes. While there are only 3 in this photo we killed two other coyotes that day that dove into deep thorn brush ravines. Neither of us felt motivated enough to dive in after them. If it were a tournament or the fur was worth a lot of money we may have had a different attitude, but it was neither so those coyotes were left to their brushy thorn covered graves. I was also able to let the air out of a large badger as weel that was between 350-360 yards. I hit him dead center and he was tore up really bad. Unfortunately he had just enough energy to crawl ten feet and go down his hole making him impossible to reach. That really bummed me out as I really, really wanted that bugger.

Later that evening just before dark we watched a herd of antelope bed down for the night that had a pretty decent 15" buck. The next morning we were right there at first light. It took a while to locate the herd as they had moved quite a ways. Unfortunately they had moved to a very difficult area for a stalk and it would be even more difficult to retrieve if I did kill it. We decided to move on and find another buck, knowing that we could always come back and check on these antelope later. Shortly after leaving we saw a very small buck and a doe. While I was trophy hunting I couldn't bring myself to shooting a 8" buck. Less than 10 minutes later we happened upon a large herd of antelope and I picked the biggest one out of the 3 bucks in the herd, and killed it with my 6.5 Creedmoor. By 8:15am the buck was loaded. I was happy camper to have that part of the hunt out of the way. Granted he is one of the smallest bucks I've ever shot, but he fit the bill perfectly for table fare and filling freezer space. I look forward to enjoying this buck on the dinner table.

The next day we just coyote hunted and had a great time. Of all the coyotes we called in only two got away. They both back doored us and caught us off guard. Although not everything is pictured we ended the hunt with 10 coyotes shot, 1 badger shot, and a perfect antelope buck. More important than calling coyotes, hunting antelope, or spending time outdoors, the time spent with a good friend and his family topped everything. I've been very blessed to know some outstanding people in my life (Cory) and his family are right at the top of that list. Thanks again Cory. I don't know that he will ever see this post on this site, but if he does I sure want him to know how grateful I am to him and his family!

Three more coyotes from opening day.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Nice work and I take back what I said on my thread about you not loving us any more! Big Sky country sure is aptly named and I wish I could get that kind of back drop in my photos.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Very cool. A coyote sure lives hard when you are around.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Captain, coyotes make life hard for just about everything else, so a little turn-about is fair play I figure.

Very nice hunt report and pics, Sky....I have all of my yote hunting stuff ready, and will get after them, just as soon as these 90 degree temps go away, and we get a little rain....not a drop of rain here in 42 days....nearly the entire state is under a burn ban.

I'm sure Cap would love to send me some of that rain that he got last week....sad situation in the Carolina's.
    Southern Gentleman

Speaking of 90 degrees, this is what I woke up to Saturday morning. Kind'a like it.

I'd give up a pinky finger for some of your weather, right now.
    Southern Gentleman

We've had an awesome stretch of weather here lately with highs in the mid 60's and lows in the mid 40's. Have I mentioned how much I love October?

In fact, lunch time selfie kind of weather here...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could have gone the rest of the week without seeing your ugly mug!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    I could have gone the rest of the week without seeing your ugly mug!
    You're just jealous that I'm out and about enjoying this fine day!