Was afraid to lose what I had already typed so here is the continued story:

We kept on driving and found another buck with a doe but I told Dad there was no way I was going to let him shoot that buck as he was too little. After watching the pair for 5 minutes they got bored with us and ran on down the road. We were going that way anyway and ended up getting a fair bit closer. From the closer distance he didn't look that bad.
ScoutDad's1.JPG

So we left this guy alone and headed back north but not before shooting a coyote that watched us for a bit too long. When we got there the big buck we wanted was now standing in plain sight behind the ranch house. I couldn't take it anymore, so I drove in, introduced myself, and asked if they allowed antelope hunting. If fact they did allow hunting but the guy's wife had her first ever tag and they were planning on going out hunting themselves. I told them thanks anyway, exactly where the big buck was, the best route to sneak up on him, and wished them luck. (I need to call him back to see if she got him or not.)

Plan B turned out to be the goat in the first picture above.

The herd had been laying in the same place all morning and it was a perfect place for a great stalk that would result in an easy shot. Trouble is, as we were sneaking north along the back side of the ridge towards their position, they decided it was dinner time and headed south on the opposite side of the ridge. From there we went back to the buck I misjudged and after a single shot from his trusty .270, Dad had his buck.
DadGoat2.jpg
DadGoat1.jpg