Thread: Quershun About Flying with Firearms

Quershun About Flying with Firearms

How difficult is it to fly these days with a checked hunting rifle?

Last time I did it, was when I flew to Canada right before 9/11. i think I removed the bolt and my gun case hand checked when i checked it in and i didn't see it again until I went through customs.

Still the same? I mean, people still take their shit with them when they fly to hunt don't they?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I assume you're talking about Canada? I've done it a bazillion times (both driving and flying) and it's always been a piece of cake. Obviously, it can only be checked baggage when flying.

When flying, you need a locking, hard-sided gun case and make sure your ammo is in it's original packaging. I've never removed the bolt (always carried a Rem. 760 pump), but I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but why risk losing it if it's not required?

I can't remember the particular forms that need to be filled out, but that should be easy enough to research on the net. I do remember I had to check my firearm separately through TSA. I unlocked the case, they inspected it, a form I filled out was left inside the case (plus I think I had a copy), I locked the case and they took it from there. I honestly don't remember all the details, but as I said, it was never really much of a problem and it's nothing all that out of the ordinary.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Make sure you keep the paperwork showing you took it into the country, so Customs doesn't think you may have purchased it in Canada. I don't ever remember having any sort of problem like that, but some young whipper-snapper in Customs could slow things down on your return if he had his panties in a wad for some reason.

If you're thinking of Mexico, I've never personally done it. You may want to ask Booger. I'm not sure if he took his own gun to Mexico or if he used one supplied by the outfitter. Damn, my memory is slipping, did he do that big dove hunt in Mexico or South America? It sucks getting old.

We went to Argentina. By the way, I retired last week. Ain't done much of shit this week except work on a boat.

I have flown to Montana and Texas and both times the gun was a piece of cake.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Booger View Post
    We went to Argentina. By the way, I retired last week. Ain't done much of shit this week except work on a boat.
    hey...Happy retirement Booger!....what kind of boat?

Congrats Boogie Man! I know it's been a long time coming ... and I also know you're set for a comfortable retirement. (can I borrow a few $$$)

Enjoy the boat, but if it's anything like the ones I've owned through the years, just start keeping buckets of that retirement income around to dump into it on a weekly basis.

Bass tracker pro 17 with a classic 50 mercury. I was going to buy a boat then took a look at my son's boat that's been sitting in my barn for 2 years. Washed it and took to the shop. New starter, rebuild carbs, replaced water impellor, bought 2 new batteries. Told son he could use it but after I spent a grand , it stays at my house. I wanted to be able to take the wife riding an fishing. This will be better for that then the 14' John boat with 15 horse I also gots....

Cool beans. Man-o-man, it's been quite a while since you and I spent any time cruising the lakes up there!

I hope you have fun with it now that you're an official old fart.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Congrats!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

And to think we were all whippersnappers when all this innerwebs stuff started.

Congrats, Booger! You're gonna love it.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

How long since we got kicked to the curb at All Outdoors?

Quote Originally Posted by Booger View Post
    How long since we got kicked to the curb at All Outdoors?
    Next year will be our 20th anniversary. We should have a party!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    We can have a surprise party for Buckrub at his house when we all show up there for supper
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I sure do miss that old fart.

Congrats Boog!
    I'm right behind you. Kinda. In 25 years