Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Paint!

For Dodge, I'm sure they look at those two additional gears as two more points of failure.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    That is a real good looking truck!

6 speed transmission? I thought only toyota was still behind on that. Most stuff now is 8 speed but I might be wrong... Hemi, oh yeah baby! That might explain why it dont have an 8 speed transmission, it is going to suck that gas no matter what... Had I need a working truck instead of a Sunday truck i would have been looking dodge or gmc.
    my 2015 Silverado has a 6 speed transmission as well, i am not sure what the 2016 & 2017 chevys have.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

When GM went from the 6-speed to the 8-speed in their pick-ups, their fuel mileage dropped 1 mpg. It's mostly for smoother shifting, although it would probably help a bit on take-off while towing.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I don't ever use the tow-haul switch on my Yota. It drops my mileage by a f mpg and I have plenty of torque for what I drag. I think the six speed definitely fills in the gap between the low end and the top end in that respect. My old Chevy would lug in overdrive sometimes but this one you hardly notice downshifting.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

I once talked with Lynn's brother on why Toyota always seems to drag a bit behind the industry when it comes to new innovations. (he's been an engineer with Toyota for 30 years) He told me that any design changes they make have to pass a rigorous QDR (Quality, Dependability, and Reliability) criteria. That's for ANYTHING ... down to something as simple as a glove box latch. In the industry, many new innovations get thrown into production and fixing the bugs becomes a work in progress (with the public being the guinea pigs). That's why (many years ago) I used to be afraid of buying newly designed automobiles and would always wait until something new had been out a couple of years. According to him, Toyota requires a QDR study to extend at least 10-15 years out. As far as I can tell, it may not be 100% effective, but it pays off for the most part.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    That is a real good looking truck!

6 speed transmission? I thought only toyota was still behind on that. Most stuff now is 8 speed but I might be wrong... Hemi, oh yeah baby! That might explain why it dont have an 8 speed transmission, it is going to suck that gas no matter what... Had I need a working truck instead of a Sunday truck i would have been looking dodge or gmc.
    My work truck has the variable displacement with the Hemi and gets really good mileage unless you have your foot into it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    variable displacement
    and I have no idea why that is not standard in every 8 cylinder.... most of the time is my butt alone in the truck, I dont need all those cylinders firing, believe me, im not that fat!!! (I might have a load of stools to deliver if anyone quote that last part...)...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Congrats on the new ride Len.

It'd dog has that variable displacement in his truck and really likes it. He has a z71.
    Viva Renaldo!

This thing has a hard drive for storing files and ripping CDs. My math says I should be able to get about 300 CDs on there which is COOL.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Ripping CD's? 1999 called and wants its technology back...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

smell my nutsack fuckstick!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Ripping CD's? 1999 called and wants its technology back...
    BAMMMM! Well napster is gone and also the pirate bay so you do what you have to do...

Len, is that hd a solid state? If not I wonder what will be the lifespan of it with the constant vibration on the vehicle...

Yes, it's solid state.