Thread: What Is The Worst You've Ever Been Hooked?

What Is The Worst You've Ever Been Hooked?

Anybody who fishes has been hooked or hooked themselves. If you haven't its not a matter of if, but when. Its happened to me often enough that when it happens to someone else, it actually hurts me to see it. And I'm not careless. Shit happens. Kind of like shooting yourself in the hand, but not as bad.

One of the worse was when I was in my 30s. I don't remember how I ended up there it was so long ago, but I do know my first cousin and I were sitting in a jon boat bass fishing on a little piece of water called Uncle Malvern's pond, as it belonged to my buddy Mallard Fillmore's Uncle Malvern. We both call it that to this day.
    Anyway, I was fishing a abu in line spinner that you used to get for like 89 cents and they cast like a bullet. I casted it like a bullet into some briars growing along the edge of the bank and when I yanked it loose it came back like a bullet and two hooks lodged themselves in my thigh through a pair of Levis.
    Did I mention it was 150 degrees in the shade? Well, it was hot, and I tugged on it enough to almost make me pass out, and then my cousin said be careful your femoral artery is there somewhere.
    So off we went to Mallard Fillmore's Mom's house. She cut a hole in my levis and we cut the treble off of the lure. Then she ran both hooks on through, snipped the barbs off and backed them out. I just remember it hurt like hell. I think alcohol got involved at that point.

That my worst. I had one this summer that hurt for a month but it wasn't as bad as that one.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I'm lucky that I haven't had one get the barbs in my skin yet. I've had more than my share of bleeding fingers, though. I'm surprised, as sharp as damn hooks are these days. Those damn gammamagatasuzu hooks get the same respect as a knife blade from me!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I've never gone in past the barb. However, I had a dog once who stuck his nose in my tackle box and came out with a snoot full. (You should have heard the pitiful noises that dog made!) Once we got him corralled, I tried the push through and snip off procedure you describe above. Given the toughness and consistency of dog nose, it was a no go and we ended up having to take him to the emergency vet who put him under and got it done. That dog never did get near a tackle box again.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    3" nail in left hand with a nail gun count?

I think I was around 10 or 12 and my buddy and I were fishing out of a little 10' aluminum johnboat in North Carolina. Needless to say, it was pretty tight quarters. He was facing rearward and I was facing forward. Somehow, he went to cast and hooked me right under the back of my armpit! Of course, I had no shirt on (like it would have made a difference anydamnway) and he must have been going for record yardage on that particular cast, 'cause he BURIED that hook! The only positive was that it was a single hook and not a treble. Since it was snagged in the back of my arm, every time my buddy tried to remove it, I couldn't see what was going on and that seemed to make the pain worse for some reason (not sure it really did, but not knowing exactly when the pain was going to hit, seemed to make it worse). I could reach it with my other hand, but couldn't actually see what I was doing. We finally went home (my grandparents house where I was spending the summer) and my grandmother removed it by cutting off the eye with wire cutters. She said the barb had almost hooked completely through and was just under the skin, so she took an ice cube, kinda froze a spot on my arm, then made a tiny slice with a razor blade and pulled the hook on through from the barbed end. Once it was over with, it seemed the alcohol she used before and after the "surgery" was the worst part! I also learned that an armpit is kind of a "tender" area!!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Bert can beat that.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Bert can beat that getting shot in the hand too
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Dayum! We gots three virgins. Who'dathunket?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    Bert can beat that getting shot in the hand too
    Yep, I think the Lenster was actually responding to Airbud.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Last summer while trying to release a nice sized trout the hook came loose. It shot back at me like an arrow. My hand/finger just happened to be in it's path. It instantly buried itself in the end of my finger. Yup, right in the center of all the nerve endings. The only problem was were floating the Missouri River and it was early in the float. I didn't want to ruin everyone's day by cutting the trip short. So I snipped off the other two barbs of the treble hook, and then bandaged the hook tight to my finger, and kept fishing. It was 6 hours later before I arrived at the emergency room to have it removed. To be honest when the doc put the needle in the end of my finger to deaden the area, it hurt far worse than the hook. That is probably about as close as I've ever come to punching a doctor out. I still cringe every I think about that needle being jabbed in the end of my finer about an 1/8th of an inch from where the hook entered my finger. Man, that hurts!!!

I made a trip to the ER once to have a Rebel Minnow hook removed from the webbing between my middle fingers. He used some sort of local anesthetic cream to deaden it a little before he used the needle.
    Man that hurts just looking at it.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    1979, a 95 lb raven haired Asian beauty hooked me long hard and deep.

The more i wiggle the deeper they get
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    1979, a 95 lb raven haired Asian beauty hooked me long hard and deep.

The more i wiggle the deeper they get
    Jeepers, QA, it's Halloween not Valentines Day.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

BBP one of the worst things about where that hook buried in my finger is the fact I couldn't push it through. Bone on one side and fingernail on the other. Hope to never have this happen ever again. My main fishing partner was with me that day. He mentioned how he had never had a hook bury in him past the barb. Two weeks later we were fishing a small creek near my house when he obtained his first hook bling. I actually pulled it out for him with my forceps. I learned a thing or two in the doctors office and I doubt I'll ever go to the ER again unless it's in my eye ball or something. Saved my partner $600.00.
    Last edited by Big Skyz; 10-31-2016 at 11:37 AM.

One of my Canada fishing buddies had a thirteen inch smallie bury a treble hook in the end of his finger just about identical to yours. It took an entire bottle of Kraken to convince him to try the old tried and true method of tying a piece of fishing line to the curve of the hook, laying the hook over and pressing it on the side and yanking on the line. He said he hardly felt the hook coming out. It was the laying it over with pressure that hurt.
    Then we had to pit up with a drunken Mississippi cracker all night.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

BBP, I don't drink and never have. However with that hook in the end of my finger I half wished I was drunk out of my mind. With as much as I fish anymore I expect I will get a more hooks buried in me. However, my best fishing partner and I went through and pinched the barbs down on all our treble hooks. Hopefully they will be easier to remove should we get stuck again. What I'm really dreading is if I ever bury one of my marabou jigs in me. They are big sharp expensive super strong Gamakatsu hooks. I can only imagine what an ordeal it would be to remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Skyz View Post
    BBP, I don't drink and never have. However with that hook in the end of my finger I half wished I was drunk out of my mind. With as much as I fish anymore I expect I will get a more hooks buried in me. However, my best fishing partner and I went through and pinched the barbs down on all our treble hooks. Hopefully they will be easier to remove should we get stuck again. What I'm really dreading is if I ever bury one of my marabou jigs in me. They are big sharp expensive super strong Gamakatsu hooks. I can only imagine what an ordeal it would be to remove them.
    The sharper the hooks the lesser the pain. Ispeak from experience! Just this summer Icaught a rear treble completely through my index finger on a brand new Whopper Plopper with very sharp hooks. A twelve in turdhead did that to me. Lucky for me he ran it through for me too. It didn't hurt much till I got home.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!