Thread: Into the woods for the firs time

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar

Into the woods for the firs time

#3 and I went into our hunt area this morning.
    About half the leaves are still up and the temps were in the upper 50's
    Our gun season opens on the 14th so this is typical for us to start the scouting process.
    Lots and lots of fresh scrapes, but only a few rubs, looks to be a good year if the weather cooperates (upper 50's sucks for deer hunting up here)
    We have two weeks to make the change from late fall to early winter. The best hunting up here is 2-3"of fresh snow, temps in the low 30's high 20's, overcast with little or no wind. Every now and then this happens, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.
    I never get excited about the hunt until I take this walk in the woods, then it all starts up, get the clothes out, sight in the rifle, make a list of the supplies needed and watch the weather forecast.
    Even though my hunting lasts maybe 2 or 3 days, it still is exciting.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I'm right there with you JB. Got out the weekend before last to scout, put up a stand and sight-in. Interestingly enough, we saw lots of rubs and no scrapes. I spent last night washing all the hunting clothes and plan on organizing all my other gear tonight as our ML season starts Saturday. Typically, our rut kicks in sometime during the first couple of weeks of November and I'm about to burst at the seams in anticipation.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Ya'll don't forget the corn, or sugar beets, or biscuits and molasses, or whatever ya'll "accidentally", drop outta your pockets, near your deerstands up there.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Muddy, have not baited for many years, the few years we did we saw little difference in deer movement.
    Our hunt area is about a half hour drive, so bringing fresh bait out daily is a big PITA,
    We hunt the travel routes, which are pretty well defined up here.
    Baiting is alive and well all over around here, but not for us.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Baiting is a big no-no around here. They'll get you even if you've removed the mineral blocks or whatever else you've put out and there is still too much if it left.

Good plots are different but we sure as hell can't have feeders out like you can down south.