Thread: Cappy and other SC non resident hunters, how about that bill S 454?

Cappy and other SC non resident hunters, how about that bill S 454?

Looks to me like next year will be my last season hunting SC. The Quality of deer we have in our lease is just not worth the extra money. I understand what are they doing but as of now if you had not been following some type of QDM the herd is just not there. Maybe I will check back in 10 years or so...

I think SC is going to loose a bunch of non-resident license revenue, the money the non-resident hunters spend in the state (gas, eating, butcher) and there is going to be poaching left to right, more than now... When you have one warden per county how are they going to enforce the new reg I have no idea. Only those hunters that use a butcher will be "checked".

Need to find me a NC lease or im just going to start doing more paper shooting.... What a freaking year!!!!!!

Whats y'alls take?

PS - No more "feed the hungry" deer either....

Haven't hear anything about it Nandy...
    I'll read up.
    But unless I miss my guess they ain't gonna change the way most folks hunt in SC with regulations.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Oh, it is changing, you will have to tag all deer. Residents buys their license and it includes 2 or 3 bucks tags and like 7 doe tags which can only be used on doe days. If you are non resident then you buy your license but dont get jack squat, no does nor buck tags. You can buy the doe tags about $5 per tag but the first buck tag is $50, next 2 tags are $20 each, if you buy any other buck tags they are $20 and have antler restrictions..... read on it, non resident has to pay extra per each deer they kill....

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    I hit a Buck in my driveway last night/ well axeually I was stopped/ fucker jumped on the hud!....Scared the shit otta my ass!

Did I spell that right^

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    I hit a Buck in my driveway last night/ well axeually I was stopped/ fucker jumped on the hud!....Scared the shit otta my ass!

Did I spell that right^
    I just spilled all over my corporate laptop...

Nandy, just outta curiosity, I looked up that S-454 bill....it's pretty complex, just wondering what part concerns you.

S-454: Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

Deer hunting

SECTION 1. Section 50-9-650 of the 1976 Code, as added by Act 233 of 2010, is amended to read:

"Section 50-9-650. (A)(1) For the privilege of hunting and taking deer on property with a Deer Quota Program permit, a person must obtain the required hunting license, any other required permits, and have access and authorization to utilize Deer Quota Program tags for the property on which the person is hunting.

(2) A landowner or lessee may apply to the Deer Quota Program for a permit at a cost of fifty dollars per land tract application. The applicant may request a quota for antlerless deer, antlered deer, or both antlered and antlerless deer. The department shall determine an appropriate number of Deer Quota Program tags for antlered and antlerless deer to be issued under each permit, and there is no cost for these tags.

(B)(1) For the privilege of hunting and taking deer on property without a Deer Quota Program permit, a person must obtain the required hunting license, any other required permits, and a set of individual deer tags from the department issued in the person's name.

(2)(a) With the purchase of a South Carolina hunting license and a big game permit, a resident shall be issued eight date-specific individual antlerless deer tags which are valid only on specified days and three unrestricted individual antlered deer tags. Persons under the age of sixteen, lifetime, and gratis licensees may receive these tags upon request to the department. Residents, including persons under the age of sixteen, lifetime, and gratis licensees also may purchase:

(i) two antler restriction individual antlered deer tags valid for deer with a minimum of four points on one antler or a minimum twelve-inch inside antler spread for five dollars per tag; and

(ii) additional individual antlerless deer tags for five dollars per tag.

(b) Fees for nonresident deer tags are as follows:

(i) fifty dollars for the first antlered deer tag and twenty dollars for each additional antlered deer tag up to a maximum of four tags; two of which must be an antler restriction individual antlered deer tag valid only for deer with a minimum of four points on one antler or a minimum twelve-inch inside antler spread; and

(ii) ten dollars per individual antlerless deer tag."

Deer hunting

SECTION 2. Section 50-9-920(B)(6) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 94 of 2013, is further amended to read:

"(6) Deer Quota Program permit shall be exclusively used to administer the Deer Quota Program and for deer management and research;"

Deer hunting

SECTION 3. Section 50-9-920(B)(7) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 94 of 2013, is further amended to read:

"(7) individual antlerless and nonresident antlered deer tags shall be used as follows:

(a) eighty percent to administer the tag program, deer management, and research; and

(b) the remaining twenty percent for law enforcement;"

Coyote management program

SECTION 4. Section 50-9-920(B) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 94 of 2013, is further amended by adding an appropriately numbered item at the end:

"( ) resident antler restriction individual antlered deer tag shall be used to administer the Coyote Management Program."

Deer hunting

SECTION 5. Article 3, Chapter 11, Title 50 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"Section 50-11-315. (A) The bag limit for antlered deer taken with individual antlered deer tags is five per year for all seasons combined of which two have antler restrictions with a minimum of four points on one antler or a minimum twelve-inch inside antler spread. No more than two antlered deer may be taken daily. For the purpose of this section:

(1) a point is a projection that is at least one inch long and longer than wide at some location at least one inch from the tip of the projection; and

(2) inside antler spread is measured at a right angle to the center line of the skull at its widest point between the main beams. No more than two antlerless deer may be taken daily with individual tags.

(B) The bag limit for deer taken on property with a Deer Quota Program permit shall be set by the department.

(C) It is unlawful to take more than the legal limit of deer. A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than fifty dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than thirty days. Each animal over the limit is a separate offense."

Deer hunting

SECTION 6. Article 3, Chapter 11, Title 50 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"Section 50-11-320. (A) The department will issue tags for the hunting and taking of deer.

(1) Antlered deer tags issued to individuals are valid statewide as prescribed by the department except on property with a Deer Quota Program permit for antlered deer.

(2) Antlerless deer tags issued to individuals are valid statewide as prescribed by the department except on property with a Deer Quota Program permit for antlerless deer.

(3) Deer Quota Program tags are valid only on properties for which they are issued.

(B)(1) Deer taken pursuant to individual deer tags, during any season regardless of weapon, must be tagged with a valid individual deer tag. Each tag must be attached to the deer as prescribed by the department before the animal is moved from the point of kill.

(2) Deer taken pursuant to Deer Quota Program tags must be tagged with a valid Deer Quota Program tag and reported to the department as prescribed. Each tag must be attached to the deer as prescribed by the department before the animal is moved from the point of kill.

(C) It is unlawful for an individual:

(1) to harvest or attempt to harvest a deer on property with a Deer Quota Program permit without having access and authorization to utilize Deer Quota Program tags for the property on which the person is hunting;

(2) to harvest or attempt to harvest a deer on property without a Deer Quota Program permit unless the person possesses a set of individual deer tags issued in the person's name;

(3) to possess, move, or transport an untagged deer which was harvested by hunting in South Carolina;

(4) to use or attempt to use more than one set of deer tags or tags issued in another person's name to harvest a deer; and

(5) to alter a deer tag for fraudulent or unlawful purposes.

(D) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than fifty dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than thirty days."

Deer hunting

SECTION 7. Section 50-11-390 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 233 of 2010, is further amended to read:

"Section 50-11-390. (A)(1) The department may promulgate regulations to permit the taking of antlerless deer between September fifteenth and January first.

(2) The department must establish a minimum number of antlerless days as follows:

(a) three days in Game Zone 1;

(b) eight days in Game Zones 2, 3, and 4.

(B) In all game zones, the department may issue individual tags for antlerless deer which must be used as prescribed by the department. These tags are valid statewide, except on property receiving a Deer Quota Program permit for antlerless deer pursuant to subsection (C), and must be possessed and used only by the individual to whom they are issued.

(C) In all game zones, the department may issue Deer Quota Program permits to landowners or lessees. The department will determine the appropriate number of Deer Quota Program tags, and issue the tags for the permitted property.

(D) Deer taken pursuant to a Deer Quota Program permit must be tagged with a valid Deer Quota Program tag and reported to the department as prescribed. Each tag must be attached to the deer as prescribed by the department before the animal is moved from the point of kill.

(E) The department may suspend the taking of deer or revoke any Deer Quota Program permit when environmental conditions or other factors warrant.

(F) It is unlawful to take, possess, or transport deer, except as permitted by this section. A person violating the provisions of this section or the provisions for taking deer established by the department is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than fifty and not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days."

Repeal

SECTION 8. Section 50-11-335 of the 1976 Code is repealed.

White-tailed deer population study

SECTION 9. The department shall provide a report of a four-year study by July 1, 2022, to the Chairman of the Senate Fish, Game and Forestry Committee and the Chairman of the House Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Committee. The report will include, but will not be limited to, the status of the white-tailed deer population and a review of the tagging program.

Time effective

SECTION 10. This act takes effect on July 1, 2017.

Ratified the 2nd day of June, 2016.

Approved the 8th day of June, 2016.

This web page was last updated on July 12, 2016 at 3:09 PM
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Nandy, just outta curiosity, I looked up the S-454.....can you point out the part, which concerns you???

(b) Fees for nonresident deer tags are as follows:

(i) fifty dollars for the first antlered deer tag and twenty dollars for each additional antlered deer tag up to a maximum of four tags; two of which must be an antler restriction individual antlered deer tag valid only for deer with a minimum of four points on one antler or a minimum twelve-inch inside antler spread; and

(ii) ten dollars per individual antlerless deer tag."

"
    SC residents pay $20 for hunting and big game lic which allows for about 9 deeer a year.
    SC Non residents pay $225 for hunting and big game lic which allow for the same amount of deer as a resident.

New rules will allow a resident to kill 3 bucks and like 7 does for the same amount as before.
    Non residents will still pay the $225 but you cannot kill a single deer until you buy tags, which the first one is $50 for bucks an I believe $10 per doe...

Doesn't SC currently have a one deer per day bag limit while season is open and no season limit? Also, i believe they have pretty liberal check-in rules.

I may be mistaken but I think this change to a more traditional limit and check rules is pretty big for that state.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Nandy, those license costs are very comparable to both resident and non-resident costs, here in MS....and, except for public hunting check-in stations, our check-in can be done online on private lands.
    Southern Gentleman

The SC rules as of now depend on which game zone you are hunting. Mainly, the upstate which is where I hunt they have a more restricted bag and season limits, the low country where larke hunts they have a less conservative bag and seasons limits.

If I recall right, you can kill 2 bucks a day any day and one doe a day and only in doe days. Back in the day I hunted the low country, If I recall right, it was open limits for bucks, cant recall does.

I have no issue with the tag system if we had the same amount of tags as teh residents. We are already paying $200 more to hunt sc but they are giving us a single tag, we have to pay for all. There is no such a thing as checking your deer statewide as far as I can recall, the only checking is if the warden is at the butcher or the butcher itself not taking any deer in unless it is tagged or legally taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Nandy, those license costs are very comparable to both resident and non-resident costs, here in MS....and, except for public hunting check-in stations, our check-in can be done online on private lands.
    Could be but we are talking about SC, not MS.

Just a license cost comparison, since that's what I thought your concern was, that's all.

We are soooo blessed here in MS, with our hunting and fishing resources, and liberal bag limits.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 11-15-2016 at 12:19 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Hmmm, I guess I should have elaborated. What I meant is they are not apple to apple. I wouldn't consider sc a deer trophy state.

I read up on it last night Nandy and it sucks. To go from no limit per day or season to having to fork out about 500 bucks in my case is unacceptable. I own 3 tracts of land in SC and pay taxes in SC. I guess it's time for me to get an SC driver license anf register a truck or two down here.
    But I can tell you even these local Chesterfield County folks ain't gonna pay those regs much attention.
    Hell half of them process their own deer so it's no issue for them.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I didn't even realize you needed a license in SC.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

License?? We don't need no stinkin' license!

Ha! There are all sorts of openings for quotes from my favorite movie today!

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C7txPU6efos" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

What is the intention of the new regulations? Are they trying to produce more trophy animals or kill more does or what?

It almost sounds like its more about greenbacks as anything else. But i don't know squat about SC other than what Larke and Nandy have said.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Barry, somewhere I read that part of the intention was to lower the out of state hunters numbers as they feel they encroach and take the best opportunities from the local boys. Of course, it is not phrase that way but is the intention, I wish I had bookmarked that site.... Other than that I think it is an attempt at force the state hunters into a light QDM status and in the mean time generate more revenue... I think they are delusional if they think the changes are going to promote that.... Oh, out of the 17 members we have I have yet to see more than 1 SC license plate, the overwhelming membership is from NC and some of these folks have been hunting this lease for close to 30 years.... I might pay my club dues to stay on it, these are really fine folks and I really like our setup and off season I can go and target shoot 500 yards. Club fees are $450 average, so it is not really much more than many shooting clubs here. I might skip the hunting lic all together. Give them a year or 2 of thinking on what have they done and see if they decide to give the same amount of tags to the non residents...

Cappy, not sure if owning land will put you in the same level as a resident. Obviously if you get your SC lic then you are in but then loose everything that NC lic gives you including hunting NC as a resident price. Not sure if you get a lifetime license before the change from NC to SC resident will benefit you. I have a friend which got the SC lifetime lic before moving to NC and he still have to get the big game license at non-resident prices and would have to pay the same stuff as I would do....
    I agree with you, this law is not going to make the hunter that owns land and process his own deer change unless he is willing, it is just going to turn them into criminals.... Worst thing can happen is they go "if it is brown is down" type mentality just out of spite.... Good ol warden cant cover all the properties effectively.

No prob. Nandy .... Cappy "knows people".

If he knows people why he let that bill pass!?!?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    The best out-of-state regulation I ever saw was Maryland believe it or not. I'm not sure if it's still the same way as it's been a while since I've hunted there. But, their rule was whatever your state of residence would charge a Maryland resident is what they would charge you. So, states out west who have really high non-resident license fees paid a ton and me being from Virginia paid like $100.
    Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 11-15-2016 at 02:25 PM.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Kinda like the reciprocal CCW laws.

A few years ago Kansas had an absolute no restriction on non resident deer hunters. Oklahoma was one state that threatened to do the reciprocal thing. They've since opened it up a bit.

Kansas has probably the best trophy buck population in the lower 48. And they didn't do it with limit restrictions, they did it by closing the season during the rut.

BKb

on edit make that firearms season is closed suring the rut. Archery may be open I'm not sure. Hombre would know.
    Viva Renaldo!