AND your stinkin' law!

Warning! Thump post follows:

Around 11:00 this morning I realized it's frigging HOT! I glance at the thermostat and it was 86 %}]^*+~> degrees in the house. There's air (warm) coming out of the vents, so I head for the back yard. The o/s unit is running, but the fan is blowing cool air out of the unit. Now I'm hoping it's just low on "cool juice". Hmmm, I take a closer look and it's not frozen up ... the condenser and lines are clear, so it's most likely not low on juice. Ok, as an a/c layman, I'm figuring the compressor is not working. Dammit!

So, the first thing that hits me is .... why do these things always happen on a weekend? Worse yet, a HOLIDAY weekend!!! Plus the temps are supposed to be low 90's all week. I pull out the ol' cell phone and give my a/c guy a call. He answers his cell phone and hears my cheery voice. The convo went something like this:

"Lance ol' buddy! Are you in the neighborhood by any chance?"

Hi Jim, no, I just arrived at Anna Maria Island Beach. The family and I are spending the holiday weekend here. What's up buddy?"

I (in my saddest, most distressed voice) told him of my problem and what I've observed so far. He says, hmmm, sounds like the compressor is not working! (Maybe I know more about a/c systems than I thought) He asked if I'd be home over the weekend and I told him we're going to the Miss Florida pageant tonight, but we'll be around after that. He then asked if I could possibly wait until tomorrow as they haven't even checked into the hotel yet.

I asked what tomorrow had to do with anything and he said he'd leave the wife and kids on the beach and drive back to fix me up. WTF? Dude, that's a 3-1/2 hour round trip with NO traffic! Not to mention, traffic around the beach areas will be fubar this weekend. He then said he should be here around noon.

Damn! I may have to buy him a 6-pack!