For some unknown reason, I woke up during a dream this morning. I can't even remember the details of the dream, but just remember it was at a Los Angeles Cadillac dealership I once worked at back in the late 80's. My GM factory rep, out of Detroit, asked me if I had any interest in leaving the dealer I was at and possibly moving to a different dealership as they had problems and needed a Service Manager. I figured, if the pay was worth the move, I'd certainly consider it. He couldn't get personally involved, but told me who to call to set up an interview with the GM.

I went in for the interview and met with the GM, then before the interview process started, he informed me that the dealer had told him he wanted to "sit in" during the interview. The owner of the dealership came down, we were introduced, then he took a seat on one side of the office while the GM began interviewing me. It started out with my previous work experience in the industry and my qualifications, etc. The interview had barely gotten started when the GM asked me what my goals would be with the company if I decided to take the job. Without hesitation, I pointed and said, "Your desk ... I'd like to work up to General Manager!" TBH, I actually answered before really thinking about what I was saying and I probably could have reworded my answer, but what was done, was done.

The owner (who'd remained totally silent while there) jumped up, said, "I LIKE him!", then pointed at the GM and said, "Hire this guy!" He then shook my hand, said he hoped I'd consider the offer and left the office. I ended up working there 3-1/2 years, until I decided I wanted to start my own business and relocated to Florida.

On the flip side, while employed there, I ran an ad for a position in the Service Dep't. and set up a few interviews. One guy came in for his scheduled interview and I had him take a seat in front of my desk. I noticed he was carrying a McDonald's bag, which seemed a little odd, but I didn't think too much of it. I excused myself to step into my secretary's office (I guess the P/C term now would be "office assistant"?) to retrieve this guy's application and when I walked back in, he was eating a frigging hamburger and had his drink and French fries sitting on the edge of my desk in front of him! I gave him a look like "WTF???" and he stated that it was almost lunchtime, so he stopped for a bite to eat before coming in for the interview. Needless to say, there was no interview! I told him I had his application and I'd be calling him if I had anything for him, then told him he could leave and take his lunch with him. I don't know how it works these days, but at that time, if you were drawing unemployment, you had to turn in a list of X-number of job applications/interviews per week in order to prove you were actively looking for work to keep your benefits coming in. I never knew if he was just a total dumb-fuck, or if he just needed to fill in a blank on his unemployment report and really didn't give a shit, but no, he didn't get hired.

I've got more, but those two are my best. Any of youse dufes have any exciting job interview stories? Sorry, I just thought it odd to dream about that interview after 37 years and thought I'd post it here.