And this goes for baseball or football. The real responsibility for managing this problem, if the respective commissioners and owners really want their sports to be free of them, lies with the teams as much as it does the players. As long as the teams have no accountability for the results of their testing then players will continue to go outon their own and use them. Its when the teams have to forfeit wins and titles and it starts hitting the incentive pay of other team members as well as the pocketbooks of the owners of the teams that we'll see the player unions and locker room peers and teams actually do something more than the token testing they are doing now. The current policies both in the NFL and in MLB are just eye candy for the media and fans.

These comments by Ron Washington is what got my motor running on this, this morning. I'm hot and cold on him as a manager. Mostly cold to be honest. I think he's one of the most overrated managers in the game today.
BKB

BALTIMORE -- Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington said the organization knows what it will do when the situation with Nelson Cruz gets resolved. But right now, Washington said, the Rangers are just focusing on each game.

ESPN's "Outside the Lines" recently aired a report saying Cruz is one of approximately 20 players Major League Baseball might suspend as a result of its ongoing investigation into the use of performance-enhancing drugs and the Biogenesis clinic in Florida.

More Texas Rangers coverage

For more news, notes and analysis of the Rangers, check out ESPN Dallas' Rangers Report. Blog

Washington said whatever happens, the Rangers will be prepared.

"I know how I'm going to deal with it," Washington said before Wednesday's game with the Orioles. "We know how we're going to deal with it. Once the decision is made, he and his people have a decision to make."

Washington said that despite the situation, he sees no reason the right fielder won't be able to enjoy his second selection to the All-Star Game.

"No sense in him thinking about what may happen because if he's at the All-Star Game, it certainly hasn't happened yet," Washington said. "That's not going away. However, he's dealing with it. I think he's doing a damn good job of it."

Earlier this week, Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan said in a radio interview that he wasn't worrying about losing Cruz to a long suspension.

Washington is taking the same view. He said his main concern was the Orioles and starter Wei-Yin Chen.

"There's always stuff for me to worry about; I'm a manager," Washington said. "[But] not regarding that."