I think it was last week when we discussed medical marijuana here. At that time I mentioned a prominent local attorney was making a big push to get it legalized. Well, I just received a news flash and it looks like he's managed to get it on the ballot. (I guess this is another one of those issues I lean more to the "left" on than the "right".)

Florida medical marijuana bill approved for November ballot

TALLAHASSEE (AP) --

A controversial bill that would allow the use of medical marijuana in Florida has cleared its final hurdle and will be on the November ballot. Monday, the state Supreme Court approved the language for the proposed constitutional amendment. Florida justices gave its approval by a 4–3 vote just three days after a petition drive reached the required number of signatures to place the measure on the ballot.

The decision is a defeat for Attorney General Pam Bondi, who challenged the ballot language by saying it's misleading. Orlando attorney John Morgan has spent about $4 million to place the issue before voters. Morgan said he has seen the benefit of using the drug by his late father, who had esophageal cancer, and his brother, who is a quadriplegic.

Gov. Rick Scott is opposed to medical marijuana. His Democratic challengers, former Gov. Charlie Crist and state Sen. Nan Rich, both support it.
The 74-word ballot, coming in at just under the 75-word limit on summing up a proposed amendment, reads as follows:

1) Allows the medical use of marijuana for individuals with debilitating diseases as determined by a licensed Florida physician.

2) Allows caregivers to assist patients' medical use of marijuana.

3) The Department of Health shall register and regulate centers that produce and distribute marijuana for medical purposes and shall issue identification cards to patients and caregivers.

4) Applies only to Florida law.

5) Does not authorize violations of federal law or any non-medical use, possession or production of marijuana.

The amendment needs a 60 percent "yes" vote from voters in November to pass. Around the U.S., 20 other states and the District of Columbia have laws allowing medical use of marijuana.