Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Great UNsuccessful squirrel hunt....

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    lol.. this WWW is a wondrous thing. I posted a pic of the tails over on another site. Got a message from a guy who bid me .50 for 200 of them. Surely got to be selling them to fly shops. They'll bring 3 to 5 bucks depending on where. Hundred bucks ain't much anymore but it will buy a few .22 shells - and I didn't really need a bunch of spinners anyway.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    It'll buy about 10 of 'em.............
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    Hundred bucks ain't much anymore but it will buy a few .22 shells
    A very few,,,, IF you can find them... Have you looked or priced .22's lately.
    Good luck
    Take Care, Captain
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Yeah Cap'n.. I'm just riding it out. I'd buy a brick or two over the past few years. There's probably four or five thousand rounds in there, and maybe 1200 Mach IIs. I probably shoot about brick - maybe two, at most - a year. I'm sure when they finally catch up the price will have raised - again. But at least I don't have to take part in the "panic"
    Last edited by HideHunter; 03-01-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

That's where I'm at too. I prolly got 12 to 15 thousand rounds of 22 and will be in good shape for a while. I think it's just sad that people are driving this shortage and thus raise the price so...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Yep.. They tell me there are people standing and waiting on Tue and Thurs to grab up the stuff as it hits the shelves at Walmart in Burl. Buddy of mine talked to the owner of the local MomnPop hardware store. Said a guy from Cedar Rapids (80 mile) came in and bought every round he had and he can't get more from his suppliers. Guys said at the gunshow last week end, Remington 550 bulk that you could buy for under $13 last year is marked at $75.. It's Nutzoid.

Short answer: They can't get it because someone else is.

According to stuff that comes across my desk from the shooting industry - it's just a "perfect storm" situation. Most ammo manufacturers are tooled up to run ammo for the military. Law enforcement gets second crack and civilian ammo last.

This mostly accounts for the lack of .223 which is in higher than usual demand because of the sudden increased interest in the EBR. One of the major manufacturers of rimfire ammo has been shut down completely (due to repairs from flooding, I believe) and is just now getting back on line. As far as the virtually all other calibers.. the "shortage" is due to increased demand due to new firearm sales and even more to panic buying, "hoarding" or buying for resale at inflated prices.

Most are expecting at least nine months to work itself out.

As an example. . I look at the rimfire cabinet at Scheels the other day. About as much .17 ammo as you want, a few boxes of .22 shorts, some .22 bird shot and not a single LR round of any kind. Associate said they sill get some but can't keep a shipment over one day. We *all* know no one is shooting that much .22 ammo.

This too shall pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    My question is why can't the suppliers get any more ammo?
    Did the government shut them down?

I mean if you can't get ammo, your guns not good for anything but being a baseball bat!!!

That's one way to stop people from having guns!!

I can't find any .380 auto ammo anywhere!!
    Would this be a conspiracy theory about another conspiracy theory?
    BKB

Ifit is, it would cause a black hole.... at a minimum.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    This is not hard to understand, surely!

Obama yells something about guns, most folks don't listen closely anyway, and they get scared he is going to dry up all sources (He would love to, I am sure, but won't). Now we have a 'scare', a run on ammo and guns sort of like Johnny Carson's run on TP.

Manufacturers of this stuff can't retool and fix stuff for a 3 month shortage. It WILL be fine late this month, April,......June at the latest. So there is a shortage.

Then there are ambitious, energetic folks that see all this, realize its scope, and run around buying up all the AR's, all the ammo, you name it. I don't know why .22 ammo is the scarcest, probably because it's simply the cheapest, but it is. .223 ammo follows. .380 because that's what everyone uses in their CCW weapon. Other ammo is available, but limited in availability.

Just go to Midway (Larry Potterfield) and find what you want, and click on "Notify Me" and they'll send you an email when it is available. Then you can buy some. Brown will bring it to your door. Simple. And Larry won't raise the normal price along the way.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.