Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Of chainsaws and men...

You split it green?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    The ash was dead. The red oak and locust were green. Maybe 60/20/20 split for ash, oak, and locust.

Most of it split really well. One BIG ash maybe 3 foot across was split vertically for the 1st 10 feet or so. When it healed it was this crusty unsplittable stuff maybe 3 inches deep along the whole 10 foot seam. On both sides of the split.

Swear to god it was like splitting Vibranium.

Will

Did the borers get it? I have two big beautiful ash and the emerald borers are headed my direction.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yeah, I can't remember the last living ash tree I saw. I took 2 last winter, 7 this summer, and I have 4 more on the pasture borders to get. All big, nice trees.

It's sad but what can you do? Ash gets dangerous quickly when it's dead. Better to take it and let the other trees get some light than let it fall down on its own.

I'm happy with all my locust though. It does so well making its own coal bed in a cold stove. I have to say it's my favorite wood for stoves.

Will

Must be a different kind of locust than we have here. Ours have thorns about four inches long.

Its a shame they can’t find a way to fight hose ash borers. We’re gonna miss those trees when we don’t have them any more.

I planted four American Chestnut this year that have some blight resistance and gave one to my fishing buddy. My four are doing well so far and I think his is too. It’d be cool to see them grow into mature trees. I’ll only be like 80 if that happens.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Must be a different kind of locust than we have here. Ours have thorns about four inches long.

Its a shame they can’t find a way to fight hose ash borers. We’re gonna miss those trees when we don’t have them any more.

I planted four American Chestnut this year that have some blight resistance and gave one to my fishing buddy. My four are doing well so far and I think his is too. It’d be cool to see them grow into mature trees. I’ll only be like 80 if that happens.

BKb
    I don’t think the canker gets then until they’re 10-15 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Posty what we have here I think is black locust. Not real heavy but extremely hard. Not uncommon to see sparks come of the chain when you cut up a seasoned one.

We lost a lot of ash trees but we have some new stuff coming along as well. My great-grandfather had a cherry tree in the front pasture. It blew over when in a tornado storm when I was a kid. They cut it up maybe a decade ago. We were so excited to find a tiny foot tall sproutling coming up from the old root system this summer. We mulched it and fenced it off. And we have some young sugar maples coming along too.

I wish I had some chestnuts. I'm jealous man. I remember seeing the shells of the huge old chestnuts lying around on this farm when I was a kid.

Will