Thread: Fish Batter

Fish Batter

I posst this knowing it will likely devolve into the usual cornmeal vs crackers/toyota vs chevvies type discussion but an Iowegian fishing buddy sprung this on us at Dogtooth and it was likely the best I’ve ever had on fish. I made it last night with some Dogtooth wallies at home and it was a hit.

The guy didn’t tell me what the measurements were so I just kind of made them up as I went along. It worked.

Empty half of a family sized bag of Lays barbecue potato chips and a sleeve of Hi Ho crackers into a blender. Add about a tablespoon of cayenne pepper and three table spoons of flour and blend them until its well blended but not powdery. Dump that into a gallon sized plastic freezer bag.
    Dip your fish in an egg wash and then drop them into the freezer bagand shake to cover the fish.

Fry in an antique, well seasoned, cast iron skillet that Thumper sent you that he paid a dollar for and you’re all set.

Easy peasy Japanesy.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Sounds delish. My “go-to” is a base of Italian style bread crumbs I doctor up with salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and some grated Parmesan cheese. Fry it up with some EVO in my 100 year old Favorite Piqua cast iron skillet. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Tpost, I gave that almost exact recipe for frying crappie to our church ladies about 15 years ago, to put in their church cookbook.....I didn't have a name for the recipe, so one of the church ladies made a rhyme out of it, and named it "Sac-O-Lait-In-Sac-O-Lay".....get it???
    Southern Gentleman

Haha yep!

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I’ve done something similar with those hint of lime tortilla chips for a southwest flair or fish tacos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke